What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test your percentage of dixie/yankee

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Here is a fun test to take to see how Dixie or Yankee you are. I was surprised at some of the answers. We've discussed some of these things before.
smile.gif

-----------

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/lgrob/southern_dialect_quiz.htm

-------------

I came out at 71%. Less "Southern" than I would have thought. But then again, I don't like grits or black-eyed peas so maybe that's why.
laugh.gif

I'm not American, but the questions still seemed to apply.

I'm 65% Dixie - a definite southern score (maybe it's my north western England accent)

72% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

Well who knew. I call what most people refer to as frontage roads, feeders.
It said that was local to Houston. I didn't know that
smile.gif
Live and learn.

It says I am a good ole' southern boy that got a college education and spent too much time travelin' round the world.
I like barbecue ribs, black eyed peas, watermelon, grits and southern ladies but I also like paella, ceviche, aroz con pollo and frijoles negro.
biggrin.gif

43% Yankee, which it says puts me in the Yankee column barely. My roots are all northern (my people are from Michigan), but I like southern food better! LOL!

Capslock

I got "44% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category."

well what is the rest then??
it doesnt say!
I should have zero dixie in me..

how in the world can the second syllable in pajamas rhyme with "father"??
I dont understand that at all!

and "sneakers" isnt universal??
those of you outside of the northeast dont wear "sneakers"?
thats a new one for me!
I assumed the whole world wore sneakers..

smile_n_32.gif

Scot

55% Dixie - I tried as hard as I could to be honest about what words I use now.  I didn't know the word grinder before I came here, but it's what I say now.  I also use soda instead of coke as the generic.  I think I say crawfish more often than crawdad, so went with it too.  But I still say y'all because it's clearly the superior 2nd person plural.  I never used it as a singular, which is proof of my lack of real southern heritage.

"40% yankee. A definitive Yankee."

74% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

53% Dixie....Though I must disagree with some of the descriptions.
People in NY DO NOT pronounce cot and caught the same way.  Don't know where that notion comes from.

Raised in NY my whole life, but went to a liberal arts college.  Go figure.

Last time someone asked me for a pop, I punched 'em.
(That's a pop where I come from, as for the other definition, I am certainly not giving away my father).

44% Yankee. I'm originally from Montana where we say; Crick, Crawdad and Pop. At least Western Montana anyway.

44% Yankee

GAAAAAAAH!!!!!! I'VE BEEN CORRUPTED BY THE SOUTH!!!!! I AM UNCLEAN!!!!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

::Leaps into the shower::

Ha, 57% Dixie!!! The only time I have been in the South is before I was 4 years, before I could remember...I lived in Mississippi and Florida. Guess where I picked up my 'slang'? Ha, my Dad no doubt!

52% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I expected to be much more northern. hmmm

I usually call sneakers tennis shoes. They were always tennis shoes growing up. And although I know a lot of people say crawfish and crawdads, they were always crayfish to me. Used to hunt for them in the creek...I mean, crick. And yes, pajamas are pa-JOM-as...not pa-JAM-as.

Geez Jan...you like more of that southern food than I do. I don't like grits, collards, chitlins, black eyed peas, stewed tomtoes or okra. But I do love Brunswick stew and country ham. YUM!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Mar. 16 2005,11:19)]Geez Jan...you like more of that southern food than I do.  I don't like grits, collards, chitlins, black eyed peas, stewed tomtoes or okra.  But I do love Brunswick stew and country ham.  YUM!
Lol Suzanne... thats some of the best foods around. I love all of those (except the chitlins) In fact I am making black eyed peas and collard greens for dinner tonight. lol

What is a chitlin?

I LOVE grits, I like black eyed peas (especially soup). Okra is sometimes good, and stewed tomatoes are actually also used in italian cooking (so I guess you could be from NYC on this one, too, eh?)

Never had collards, I don't think....bitter green of some kind?

Chitlins are pork intestines.

Collards are bitter greens yes.

Back