Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omg! you would not beleive this

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That is impressive! I guess each generation behind us will have advantages we didn't have. I would have settled for decent guidance counselors when I was in high school. They did absolutely nothing at all but show you the shelf where the college handbooks were. It really would have helped a lot to have some GUIDANCE with careers and college.

Congrats to you and your daughter. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks! I can understand the financial industry wanting to indoctrinate the kiddies at an ever younger age, but it's shameful for the school system to go along with it. I know they're struggling for any funding they can find, but that's a bad program. Teach science and math and writing and history and other important things in school. Corporate America can brainwash the kids the rest of the day.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    total buzzkill bruce [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could have been indoctrinated with responsibility, cause I lived an anti-corporate, anti-societal, the hell with "The Man" life. Guess what? Since adulthood, the man has supported me half of it. My skills consist of Epiphytic plants, general labor, and asbestos removal. Not a helluva lot of good it does me but my daughter on the other hand; I can be confident that she will not have to deal with decisions like whether to feed a child or buy it a diaper. If I buy food, it'll need a diaper but if i buy a diaper it certainly won't keep the child asleep through the night like a full stomach of Ramen or Mac N' Cheese.

The school isn't about turning out CEO's of financial intitutions, it's about learning responsibility and future planning for a society that you either succeed or fail. Learning how to succeed through careful observation and planning, how to look for the niche to fill before another. Even if she turns out a CEO of a financial institute, guess who is retiring with the help of a daughter because dad wasn't indoctrinated with such obscene, silly ideas as responsibility and careful planning. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree. We need to nurture the whole child so they can reach their full potential. Children need to be children. They need to get messy and dirty, take risks, experiment, but most important of all… they need to make mistakes or they aren't going to learn anything. A sense of belonging throughout the process is imperative. Sorry but those after school programs are every bit as necessary as getting "special help from a highly credited business Prof. so that they aren't just left feeling like a failure but are taught early to seek help for what they are lacking instead of just giving up when the first time isn't successful, which we all know is usually the case. This way they learn how to correct mistakes”.

I for one feel the self esteem deal has gone too far. Let them fail. Sometimes I really wonder where schools are going with all of the emphasis on self esteem. Seriously, let's provide our children with some real life skills… the kind they used to teach back in the one room school houses of the prairies. We can't keep setting them up for failure. Will a future boss give any of our children a raise if they perform horribly? Doubtful. Best to teach them perseverance. We moved our kids out of the public schools. We just don't have the type that superimposedhope has.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the self-asteem crap but at the same time it is important that they are show why they failed and how to correct it. I don't think it's so much self-asteem as it is just useless to let them fail and not teach why and how it can be solved, thus teaching the skills of perseveirance. Not all kids will succeed the first time, why not use the best resources possible to teach how to resolve failure because self-loathing is absolutely useless. The child that fails will likely fail over and over again unless shown why he/she has failed.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast