What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Omg! you would not beleive this

Thanks all for the compliments,
While I do normally enjoy an intelligent arguement, this is not a debate and furthermore demeans and undermines my efforts as a father to make the very best decisions for my daughter. While in a meeting with my daughters teacher a few weeks back she told me "It's unfortunate that you are the only parent who contacts me, cause your daughter is not the only child with difficulties".

Joe

Hey Joe, I know you're real busy but when ever you have a spare moment in the future would you please share any other programs being offered to your daughter and her classmates that are innovative and "kid friendly"?  I'm sure there will be more as she gets further into the curriculum. I'd be most appreciative. Thanks much, Laura

Well the name of this school is Conestoga and there is also a school with the same type of programs but it is science in stead. It's called King Science center. I toured it as a child myself, the coolest school you'll ever see for grade school. Complete with its own planetarium.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Those are the only 2 I know of in OPS.

BTW, I have a PS2 myself but time is limited and my daughter spends less than an hour a month on it and I spend maybe an hour a week on it. Just better things to do, but it is fun in MODERATION. I also don't have cable cause well, 300+ still nothin on worth watchin except the Discovery series of channels but it costs too much to only watch 4or 5 channels.

Joe

An elementary school with its own planetarium!  Well, at least your district is using tax money properly. Our school district purchased lap top computers for every teacher, aid, and staff member to include the school nurse and then they hired staff to support the laptops and purchased wireless for them all. Sad because the desk top computers in the labs for the kids are antiquated and some even have the old WIN95 operating system on them. I'm thinking that a few state of the art desktops could have been purchased for every classroom that the teachers would have had easy access to with all the money spent on laptops for the staff that the kids will most assuredly never be able to touch.  I will say no more about our district's expenditures or I will get a headache again. Greater parent involvement could have probably stopped that purchase, shame they don't seem to have more actively involved parents around here. Wish I lived in your neck of the woods.

What is a PS2?

man i quit watching this hread for half a day and boy did it turn around. actually i was thinking some of the same things as Bruce BUT being that joe is a plant nut and a manual laborer(nothing wrong with that Joe, ive hauled and installed furnature and appliances, worked in a greenhouse and tossed pizzas, now i run presses). i really think he understands the value of "goof-off time" the fact he owns a PS2 shows this(personally i have an X-Box), i think his daugther will be seeing the best of both worlds. i did darn good in Calculus, College Prep English and Human Physiology but still found time to have lots of fun in high school. studies and fun can be balanced quite easily, especially with a bright child.

Perhaps I have not made the other aspect clear.
My daughter is not all work and no play. She spends 3-4 hours after school playing with friends outside or when whether is bad she plays inside. Also this other school has the same things regular schools have for her grade such as reading time in the library with the librarian, recess after lunch and on occasion during class time in nice weather. The most important thing though is these kids enjoy these things they offer at this school. My daughter (Angel is her name) loved the things they talked about doing at the openhouse. She is excited to start school next year. She has her whole summer (no summer school) to do kid things. She does kid things and has kid time like other kids do, she just happens to play hard and work - that should be rewarded.

Joe

I certainly wasn't criticizing Joe's decision to try to get his daughter into the the best possible program or suggesting she'll never have a chance to be a kid.  I just think it isn't an appropriate program for a school.  Joe clearly can provide a sense of perspective for his daughter, but many of the other kids won't get that from home.  Without some strong grounding, immersing children in a predatory business culture at such a young age is a bad thing.  And that isn't the only problem.

My father (lifelong conservative Republican) got his MBA in his early 40s after years of being a mechanical engineer.  And he's never had anything good to say about people getting business degrees fresh out of high school, then the MBA, and then onto the corporate world.  He said they lack any sense of reality.  He feels the bloodthirsty corporate world of today is a result of people learning everything they know in business classes.

In my cynical opinion, that school program is taking that training even deeper into a child's education.  Maybe it's just popular myth, but it seems corporate management used to be done by people who made something or sold it door-to-door or worked their way up from the mailroom.  Now corporations are run by graduates of elite business schools and entry level jobs are outsourced.

Again, my complaint isn't against Joe, it's against a system that forces a school system to beg for whatever funding it can find, no matter what strings are attached.

Back