What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a easy boo

Can i have book names please. The ones we have here are not too good for me.  I need a book on carnivorus plants please. A book on soil and science experments with the plants would be nice too. I like venus fly traps and nepenthes only. Nothing else for now.

The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato is the current CP Bible. Your local library should have a copy.

Also, keep an eye out for Carnivorous Plants by Adrian Slack. He's one of the orginal CP enthusiasts from across the pond.

And as always, the internet is a treasure trove of info (In between pop-ups
biggrin.gif
). If you do a search on this very site you should be able to find some good info.

Good Luck and Happy Growing!
smile.gif

Carnivorous Plants of the World beats them all in my opinion
smile.gif
. Zongyi

the peter paul book?

evil!

but i have a copy.. got it when i was only 7
smile.gif

We have those ones here. not the peter paul one though. I do print from web sites. Thank you for trying.

I think the best book is Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, by Don Schnell.

How much does that one cost please. We do not have that one. I have to go now. Thank you.

I think Mine was $40.00.

Not even $40.00! More like 20 to 25 dollars. I have a spare copy signed by Peter. If you want it, it will be for the price of postage, Crunch.

Bug, why did Peter sign Don's book?

you could always try eBay. Just don't use it for plants.
smile_m_32.gif

Sorry, Oz. Asleep at the wheel again.

Bugweed, I thought for sure that you would say that plants don't read books!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 17 2005,8:21)]the peter paul book?

evil!

smile.gif
I think "Carnivorous plants of the world" was written by James and Patricia Petriepaluo (sp?).

Jimscott, They do too! The bookmobile is here every Friday. THE favorite among the plants is, The Lord Of the Flies!!!!
Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 18 2005,8:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 17 2005,8:21)]the peter paul book?

evil!

smile.gif
I think "Carnivorous plants of the world" was written by James and Patricia Petriepaluo (sp?).
Yes, they wrote it, but they also operate "Peter Pauls Nursery."
JLAP is referring to the widely known assumption(I can't say "fact" for certain) that they deal(or have dealt) in wild collected plants.
As far as the book goes, it's actually right up there with Savage Garden and Slack's book(his second from 1986, "Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them".) IMHO. All three cover the basics real well, and I am lucky enough to own all three.

Cheers,

Joe

lol Wires crossed there?

Schnell's book will not have Nepenthes in it as they are not North American or Canadian plants. If you are only interested in flytraps for North American CPs then the majority of the Schnell book would not be of interest to you. It IS a very good book on CPs though. I have a signed copy.
smile.gif
He lives in good ol' Virginny.

Savage Garden also covers more than just VFTs and Neps so if you want info only about them...I'd stick to web searches.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And as always, the internet is a treasure trove of info (In between pop-ups
biggrin.gif
).

I have AOL. No pop-ups here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He lives in good ol' Virginny.

..That did not sound right.

I was really wondering about this thread when I first saw the title! I honestly thought it was gonna be something like Ozzy's "call me" prank! *dies laughing*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Mar. 18 2005,8:20)]Jimscott, They do too! The bookmobile is here every Friday. THE favorite among the plants is, The Lord Of the Flies!!!!
        Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember that book from 10th grade. William Golding? Negative utopia. Piggy, Samneric, et al? Saw the British movie of it once.

I liked the description of Adrian Slack's book.  One slight problem-

Insect-Eating Plants and How to Grow Them
by Adrian Slack (Author) (Paperback - March 1, 1988)
No customer rating available.
Write the first review of this item.
Out of Print

Jerome Wexler’s Secrets of the Venus’s Fly Trap was also recommended and it looked really choice for younger ages however it too was out of print.

Back