Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone, im new

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question about Virginia Humidity. Is it ok fo rme to keep my VFTs outdoors? I wasn't sure on how the humidity was in No. VA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent the first 18 years of my life in Luray, VA... a little town about an hour south of Winchester.
    I will most likely move back there within the next two years.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Luray Caverns. Beautiful place. I also collect 50s dinnerware called LuRay Pastels...named after some of the soft colors in the caverns. Its a very pretty area.

You actually do not need to worry about humidity too much with VFTs. They are not tropical plants. They do well indoors but I'd recommend outdoors where they can function more naturally. Virginia's climate isn't too much different than North Carolina where the flytraps grow. So they are an easy plant to grow here. Mine stay out year 'round.

Humidity becomes more of an issue with some sundews and neps depending on the species.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're like the typical member here, you'll soon be infected with "gotta catch 'em all" syndrome, and need more growing space.

I recommend building an indoor greenhouse like this:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/sar...cott/3248.html
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If you're like the typical member here, you'll soon be infected with "gotta catch 'em all" syndrome, and need more growing space.

I recommend building an indoor greenhouse like this:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/sar...cott/3248.html
    Holy COW S.S.! Really encouraging the "hold your nose and jump in" approach, eh?

Welcome aboard, jlui83! Hope you enjoy. You have an ideal outdoor environment where you are for VFT's. Also Sarracenia (North american pitcher plants), several types of sundews, butterworts, bladderworts....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanks guys.. I feel at ease now that I know that Virginia is pretty ideal for these types of plants.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott...I have that same shelving only minus the rollers.

I've had my eye on a similar garment holder on rollers that has no shelving to use as a nep chamber (hang the plants). I've been hunting for some clear polyvinyl like that and have yet to locate any. Never thought of using a shower curtain. I'd still like to find that stuff by the roll though.

Really nice set up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh Scott.. I LOVE the unit.. I actually have that shelving unit myself. But i dont have the fluorescent light fixtures... Maybe i'll try that later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast