What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I may lose all my plants

Well, I just wanted to get everybody's feeling on this. I highly doubt that this will even go further than the pretrial. When they see how dumb this really is, the judge will just laugh it out of court. I'm planning on bringing in a couple of plants and, my copies of The Savage Garden and CP's of US and Canada. Whoever had the idea of taking the books to court, thanks. Thats a really good idea. I remember when I was reading on Barry Rice's site about if cp's are dangerous. I think I'll look that up and print it out. I'll update everybody on what happens Tuesday.
And to everybody that thinks this is some kind of joke, all I can say is I'm truly hurt that you think I would do that.

You're going to give the judge a funny story he'll tell for years (or if he isn't the jovial type he may let loose on the landlord for wasting the court's time). And the landlord is going to remember this forever and feel very stupid (unless he's actually stupid... the genuinely stupid don't seem to feel stupid very often, strangely)... and maybe he'll be extra nice to you or go out of his way to avoid stepping on your toes in the future.

I think you can walk into that court room with complete confidence. You can come back here afterwards and tell us how amusing it ended up being.

LOL, Ozzy that is a funny one you are pulling off on everyone here! I still remember last times trick and how you said everyone to take it serious! You can't fool me!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 20 2005,11:49)]And to everybody that thinks this is some kind of joke, all I can say is I'm truly hurt that you think I would do that.
*tries to hold back laughter*
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

well Ozzy is known for jokes. the thing is i have seen copys of similar laws from various places. the basic intent was to keep ppl from growing potentially extreamly deadly plants in their yard that someones toddler or pet would munch on and die. chances are the laws originated from a law suit over some plant someone was growing along their sidewalk. hell i have monkshood growing in one of my gardens, the stuff is EXTREAMLY toxic if the roots are eaten and is one of the few plants i wear gloves for transplanting cause any juices from the roots getting in a cut may not be fatal but they wont be fun. however it has quite pretty flowers and is hardy up here on the "tundra" so i grow it. good luck Ozzy, i do honestly bet you have no problems but it is a real hassel.

Bring a vft and let him stick his finger in it, or at least rip the trap open and explain its a leaf. Just make sure there are no dead insects in it. Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 19 2005,3:40)]Ozzy, i really dont think you have much to worry about. i actually think i know where the referance to plants come up from. its probably some "idiots" way of preventing ppl from planting things like deadly nightshade and such and other well known "killers" to prevent some toddler from chewing on the plant and dieing(atleast this is the only half way logical way plants could be tossed in with dangerous animals) course what they dont realize is alot of common and popular flowers are potentially very dangerous. be polite before the judge, take a copy of The Savage Garden, answer every quetion honestly and seriously and i bet you have absolutly no problems. some ppl really make you wonder.
I'm with rattler_mt on this. I'd bring a copy of The Savage Garden, or Carnivorous Plants of North America, and perhaps a few specimens of your plants; maybe a sundew, a VFT, a Sarracenia and/or a Nepenthes as evidence.

Regardless of whether this is a civil or criminal proceeding, it is the town's obligation to prove that your plants are dangerous, not yours to prove they're not. I understand that until this is resolved, you are going to be very nervous; I would be too, regardless of how certain I felt I was right, because I have no way of accounting for the possible idiocy of the people sitting in judgement of me and my plants.

As long as you can demonstrate that these plants are a danger only to insects, and produce no toxins an unwary child could consume, you should be perfectly fine.

I would also petition city council, after you are exonerated, to change the law to make specifically clear what is meant by 'dangerous plants'.

You may also be able to file charges against your landlord for filing a false police report; I'd at least look into it. There must be a written complaint on record from him that served as the initial cause to serve you with this summons.

Failing criminal action against the landlord, I'd at least put a darzin fish bumpersticker on his car. Something tells me he's the kind of person who would find that particularly offensive.

Good luck, and stay calm!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Mar. 19 2005,4:44)]That is such crap. What the hell are these people smoking?!?
Apparently, some other plant that is unjustly banned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Mar. 20 2005,12:32)]LOL, Ozzy that is a funny one you are pulling off on everyone here!  I still remember last times trick and how you said everyone to take it serious!  You can't fool me!
What was last year's trick?

your landlord has to be the dumbest landlord on the planet... you'll look back on this and laugh

Personally i think its pretty funny right now

Okay, now I have no clue what's goin' down in here.

Ozzy If they do make you get rid of your plants mail them to us, get a new house and we will gladly mail them back.
Yeah I could not help my self with that joke attempt.
Since when is a rat a pet? I think of them more as targets, for nicer creatures (hawk anyone?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yeah I could not help my self with that joke attempt.
Since when is a rat a pet? I think of them more as targets, for nicer creatures (hawk anyone?)
I'm not sure what that means

Somebody asked about the ONE joke I pulled here ONCE. Last year on APRIL FOOLS DAY I made a post about a pet eating D.capensis. If fooled some people. Everybody laughed and we went on with our lives. If you want to believe that this is a joke that's fine with me. Stop posting and sit back and laugh. In the mean time, I'm going to prepare my case which I'm not worried at all about, because I know this will be laughed out of court. If you have something to add please do. If not just sit back and laugh.

Um...I have PET rats! I used to breed them for PETS,not food.They are very nice animals,and are way smarter than hamsters,mice and gerbils,so I'd appreciate it if you didn't bash rats.Thank you.*Niki*(Trapper7)

Oh BTW Ozzy,I am definetly NOT laughing at you.Hope you're doing ok and not stressed.Don't let it get to you(the people laughing at you I mean)Take care.*Niki*(Trapper7)

Trapper, I'm use to it. I'm not stressed out, because I know this will be all over Tuesday and we will all be laughing together.
I understand that the people that was fooled by my ONE joke here should be suspicious. I guess it's like the book "The boy that cried wolf"

this reminds me of the boy who cried wolf lol.
iono if it's real or not though

Is there an echo?

Back