What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I may lose all my plants

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 30 2005,6:34)]Now please don't post a link until I figure out what I'm going to do. I don't really know very many people there and I don't feel like hearing what people think that don't even know me right now. I'm trying to do things just to keep my mind off of this situation for awhile.
Hehe, I'm glad I asked first. Zongyi

Wow! This is crazy! I know that you probably dont like hearing the same thing over again and again,but WOW! How can they do that? Your plants aren't bothering anyone! oh, and by the way, tell me if you need to find your herps new homes, I can lend a helping hand. They will be right at home in the Reptile Room adjacent to my bedroom.
alex

Mind boggling.  Especially when you think about how difficult it is and how long it takes to get a drug dealer into jail or force a landlord to turn on the heat or to force a company to follow environmental regulations.

I'd make sure the newspapers and political opponents of the prosecutor's office know all about the situation.  Yes, the outcome is bad for you, but I'm glad you live in such a safe & happy place where nothing else is happening and a case like this can go straight to court and get immediate resolution.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 30 2005,7:16)]Mind boggling.  Especially when you think about how difficult it is and how long it takes to get a drug dealer into jail or force a landlord to turn on the heat or to force a company to follow environmental regulations.
The lesson learned here is: (Ozzy, this isn't directed at you... it's just my rant on how much the legal system disgusts me).

The law is not the friend of naive, law-abiding citizens who get caught in a bogus or chickens**t charge. It will chew you up and spit you out. Hardened criminals, however, can work the system with ease. This is why it is so important to get a lawyer, even if you think you have an airtight defense.

Prosecutors are almost all scumbags. They care nothing about justice, or what is logical and reasonable. They just want to win their case. Prosecutorial misconduct is far from a rarity; it is the norm.

Judges cannot be assumed to be reasonable, logical, or fair, or even intelligent. In their courtroom, they are God, and if you don't grovel sufficiently, things will go badly for you.

Judges and lawyers are overwhelmingly scientifically illiterate. Despite the law degree, an astonishing number of them don't grasp the concept of evidence in an epistemologic sense, and their deductive logic and critical thinking skills are no better than the average poputation, which is to say, appalling. To a large degree, they do it to themselves, since they don't care if they win a case on the weight of evidence, or on deliberate errors of logic.

say your plants do die. Don't they have to give you money (if you win) or replacements?

This is horribly, horribly wrong.
First, they are using a kingsnake to loosely link it to a rule that applies to pythons.
And then they say your plants are a threat to other people's pets?
confused.gif
If somebodies mouse or treefrog escapes, the chance of it getting killed by a plant before a cat or something else gets it, is small compared to me winning the lottery!!
This judge is incompetant!

HOLY ****ING ****! I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY FOUND YOU GUILTY OUT OF POSSESSING THE NON DANGEROUS PLANTS!

Post her e-mail address here, we can all send e-mails to her telling her that we all personally grow these "dangerous" plants, and personally vouch that they post almost no threat to anything larger than a slug.

and a name of the book "savage garden" doesn't help either

im sure we'll find out more on Friday..

Ok, I know I should wait until after April 1st to post this, but if Ozzy really needed two weeks to pull off this stunt, the joke would be on him.

I'm writing because I picked up this thread only tonight after an encounter similar to Ozzy and his landlord.  I was potting Sarracenia this afternoon when a couple walking by asked if they were calla lillies.  I told them they were carnivorous plants, and they asked if they eat children.  I said yes, of course they do.  They were walking a Jack Russell terrier, and I said they eat small dogs as well.  They laughed and said they would keep the dog leashed, but would stop by later with the kids.

A few minutes passed and another couple with children stopped and asked about the plants.  I offered to allow their kids to stick their fingers in the VFT, but they declined fearing they would be harmed (the children, not the plants).  I assured them that they would be safe, but they just gave me a hard stare and left.

The first couple stopped by later with their kids and allowed them to touch the plants with my permission because they knew that the plants were far more delicate than their kids.  I sent the second couple via airmail to Ozzy's town .

The bottom line is this.  Even if this is a joke, it could happen.  Ignorance and fear know no bounds and stupidity (along with tolerance) can live anywhere.

einstein (this has to be one of the truest quotes ever)-
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former
PS- is truest a word?

most true
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 30 2005,9:03)]einstein (this has to be one of the truest quotes ever)-
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former
PS- is truest a word?
very true

Ozzy, please turn around and say this is one big hoax RIGHT NOW! If it is.

I've decided that I'm going to go to the judge and prosecuter tomorrow and demand that I get my plants and snakes back.
I'm going to tell them that if they do not I will go to the newspaper and the tv stations. I'll show the media how I was railroaded and how they made up laws just to to take the plants.

Ask them about the stores in your town that sell these very plants and animals and ask what they're going to do about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Mar. 30 2005,10:21)]I've decided that I'm going to go to the judge and prosecuter tomorrow and demand that I get my plants and snakes back.
I'm going to tell them that if they do not I will go to the newspaper and the tv stations. I'll show the media how I was railroaded and how they made up laws just to to take the plants.
Ozzy, is there any chance that somebody in that courtroom had it in for you? It just seems so mind-boggling that a judge could not recognize that even the largest plant you probably had was not a threat to anything over 2 inches tall.

Back