What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
I believe in ghosts.There's one in my room
smile.gif
And I don't believe in god,but I think there's life after death.I'm gonna be a dolphin,hopefully
smile.gif
*Niki*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 22 2005,3:41)]christian historians? i want historians not christian historians.
There are many myths out there... and christianity being the biggest religion is more prone to those myths. heck... someone even made a "jesus box" that fooled many scientists for a while. Then they cought the guy and there were tons of other things in museums and everything from that very same guy. He was also making other tons of artifacts. saying that there are documents that are in other languages is MUCH easier to both fake and believe. Besides, many of those documents would probably end up in the church and it's hard to get them out so they can be tested for authenticity.
and since it's been a while... that adds even more doubts.
and even if Jesus is mentioned, It doesn't really matter since I already think the probably did live. As I do think that most if not all of the temples and civilizations the bible talks about was little? I didn't fill more whole back then... nor happier)
umm christian historians are actual historians who have their area of focus on christian mythology, many of whom are not christian. would you not believe the authenticity of a greek document because it came from a greek historian? and actully the area that the documents were found in were not under the control of the church when they were found, the near east was one of the first areas that the byzantines(eastern roman empire) lost control of.

So because christianity was not right for you, you have sworn off all religion? isnt that a pretty close minded approach to life? im not trying to start a debate nor am i trying to push a faith on you but i just think you should keep your mind open to other possibilities.

I believe I'll have another glass of merlot.

Pour one for me, April.

Jesus did indeed exist (check out a history book for that time frame), however only Christianity believes him to be God. According to the nation of Islam he is considered a prophet in the Koran as was Mohammad and Moses to name but a few. As for the Jewish people he was just that one many hebrews.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"god" could make natural selection possible. I don't see how they are mutually exlusive.

Nobody said they aren't...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I feel perfectly whole and happy as I am (did I mention I was christian when I was little? I didn't fill more whole back then... nor happier)

The "Christianity" that most people practice has little to do with the relationship God wants to have with each one of us. I know lots of people who dutifully go to Church and refrain from bad language and so on because it is "the right thing to do". Both you and I experienced that in our youth. Let me tell you, just having to follow rules never made me happy, either. If you practice the religion without the faith, you get the worst of both worlds.

Peter

Hmm..

I am a Christian, and by that, i mean 'Follower of Christ". I do not have a religion, Religion is Man's attempt to explain god, or the supernatural, I have a relationship with God that I know truly exists and permiates every fiber of me existence, like Rubra, I have no fear of death or poverty, I know Death takes me to where life truly begins (this life is nothing but a trial run) and I know that I don't need money to be happy, I have nearly lost everything material in my life before, it nearly destroyed my marriage, but my faith and my wifes faith pulled us through. That being said, I am a flawed being, I have never been able to kick the habbit of cussing (though I don't use God's name) I drink (but have never been drunk) and don't have problems with what a lot of 'christians' do.

I believe in ghosts, probably differently than most of you, I believe ghosts (as in human) are like an 'aftershock' of a violent death, i.e. a negative, and imprint of the persons last moments on their surroundings. My wife grew up in a house where at least once a month 'something' would go down a hallway and open all the linen drawers and doors. Oh, and by violent death, I don't mean it has to be a stabbing or rape or anything, I am sure if you are experiencing a fatal heart attack if feels pretty violent to you.

I also believe in Angels and Demons, laugh if you want, I have seen things in my life (no I will not go into them here) that have no earthly explanation, and have quite litterally scared me to my witts end.

When the bible says God created man in his own image, it does not mean God is walking around in heaven with two arms, two legs, and the other pre-requisite equipment. God made man in his own image, in three parts, Body, (jesus) spirit (Holy Spirit), Soul (the Father) three parts. Man is the only creation God created in this way (I include woman in this too.) That being said, there are I believe classes of animal, I truly believe a Dog knows how to love, and I hope (for purely emotional reasons that my pets will be with me in heaven) but I most certainly do not think the fruit fly I just smashed has one, and I can not see what purpose a plant would have for a soul.

AN interesting thing I think a lot of christians need to take to heart is a verse that says something to the effect of 'the trees and flowers of the field will call out my existence'. In other words, that creation is so marvelous, so awe inspiring that it will inspire and draw people to know God.

Well spoken RP. I just recently read a thing where someone spoke of previous pets being in heaven, he even used scriptures to back it up.

ktulu,
That was also very well spoken.

Now for me, my church and pastors have seen many supernatural things that should NOT happen or be seen. Dead men(women too) raised, defects healed(ie blindness limpness etc), sickness healed and simple "enlightenment" that allowed them to break through with someone. I would love to go into detail but I'm not sure that that would be a good idea, i don't think that stuff was meant to be broadcast but used as a personal tool for evangelism.
Religion is a tuff thing to talk about... especially when it involves your "religion". True Christianity is a relationship with God, not your curch or another human. That defeats the point of being saved(born again). Born again is the spiritual dieing of the old sinful nature into a new spirtual nature where you can know and feel God. True you still sin(there's no way to be perfect), but at this point you really know that you sin and can choose to ask God for forgiveness.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jesus did indeed exist (check out a history book for that time frame), however only Christianity believes him to be God. According to the nation of Islam he is considered a prophet in the Koran as was Mohammad and Moses

I wonder why Christianity doesn't acknowledge much about Mohammad?

As for al the different religions, by grandmother had a good saying: "Same church, different pew"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Mar. 21 2005,8:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jesus did indeed exist (check out a history book for that time frame), however only Christianity believes him to be God. According to the nation of Islam he is considered a prophet in the Koran as was Mohammad and Moses

I wonder why Christianity doesn't acknowledge much about Mohammad?

We don't acknowledge Mohammad for the same reason other countries don't acknowledge Bush(random example) as their president. Mohammad just isn't reckognized in the Christian faith.

Mohammad lived a few hundred years after Christ. Even if he would have existed earlier, he probably wouldn't have been in the Bible, because his teachings are not God-breathed.

I am a philosophical naturalist. Not only do I believe in the methodological naturalism of science (nature is the only objective standard we have for science), but I also believe natural, rather than supernatural, explanations cover everything in the universe.

Merely not having yet discovered the natural cause of a phenomenon, IMHO, is not rational justification for assuming that a supernatural cause exists. To arrive at a supernatural explanation, we would first have to consider and reject all possible natural causes, which would require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 21 2005,6:31)]I also believe that plants, animals, even the most humble protizoa has a soul or essence, however i don't think that the same set of "rules" applies to them. i'm still working on that part
You may wish to google "animism".  That is pretty much the belief you professed, IIRC, although I think animism extends to inanimate objects, as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 21 2005,7:40)]I don't know about everybody else here, but the meaning of life is very important to me.  If I am here only because some mud mutated, and if after I die, I just turn back into mud, there is no reason to do anything different from the animals, no reason not just to follow my instincts.
This is a common sentiment among theists, but atheists generally believe their life has plenty of purpose, and don't seem to have a problem with morality. Atheistic morality is typically founded on the Golden Rule, and atheists recognize immorality by the objective, demonstrable harm a behavior causes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 22 2005,4:30)]Mohammad lived a few hundred years after Christ.  Even if he would have existed earlier, he probably wouldn't have been in the Bible, because his teachings are not God-breathed.
Mohammed (who was believed to be a prophet of god) lived about 600 years after christ. According to Muslims Mohammeds teachings were given to him by god and if you read the Koran you will find that both the old and new testament are included in a modified form. He is not included in the bible because first the bible was already written and complete and they would have had to add something 600 years into the religion, not and easy task. second there are fundimental differences between the practices of Isalm and Christianity that would make its incorrperation nearly impossible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 22 2005,5:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 21 2005,6:31)]I also believe that plants, animals, even the most humble protizoa has a soul or essence, however i don't think that the same set of "rules" applies to them. i'm still working on that part
You may wish to google "animism".  That is pretty much the belief you professed, IIRC, although I think animism extends to inanimate objects, as well.
animism is more complex than what you are making it out to be and also it has many differnt forms. saying that someone is describing animism is like say someone is talking about polytheisism. The description given was of a specific belief system and although it may fall under animistic beliefs,(which it really does not, as there is no description of worship or revering these spirts and attempting to manipiulate them in anyway) that does not mean you should genralize them out to it. Also inanimate objects do not have souls or spirits per say but can contain the souls or spirits of other organizism.

what are your thoughts on the caste system? I heard it was invented so the higher people could keep power?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So because christianity was not right for you, you have sworn off all religion? isnt that a pretty close minded approach to life?
it's not that. It's what religion IS. Religion is believing what you WANT to believe without any proof. I don't believe in having faith (not like that anyway). I don't believe in choosing what you want to believe just because you like how it sounds. So far I have seen no evidence or anything for any religion so I don't believe it. give me evidence and I'll believe it. Not because I want to believe it, but because the evidence makes me believe it. Why do you keep bringing up me being close minded? We've gone over this before. If you think I'm close minded then fine... but don't keep briging up the same thing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am a philosophical naturalist. Not only do I believe in the methodological naturalism of science (nature is the only objective standard we have for science), but I also believe natural, rather than supernatural, explanations cover everything in the universe.

Merely not having yet discovered the natural cause of a phenomenon, IMHO, is not rational justification for assuming that a supernatural cause exists. To arrive at a supernatural explanation, we would first have to consider and reject all possible natural causes, which would require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe.
hmm... yes... exactly! I guess i'm a philosophical naturalist.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunDoode182 @ Mar. 23 2005,12:20)]what are your thoughts on the caste system? I heard it was invented so the higher people could keep power?
the caste system is the basis of hindu belief in reincarnation and moving up. Although it is also very effective at controling the populus. and like most religions when used in a theocracy they work as a way to maintain the power of the government.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Religion is believing what you WANT to believe without any proof. I don't believe in having faith (not like that anyway).

You don't beleive in having faith... Well faith is based on relationships, and in relationships there is nothing to prove. The reason there aren't a whole lot more Christians around is that most people these days aren't willing to believe anything they can't see or touch. I tell can you it's worth it, but since I'm not a scientist you won't beleive me.

Peter

Back