Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Mar. 26 2005,10:01)]
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 26 2005,9:08)]He has. When He said, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." he was referring to the people who crucified Him. Taking that concept into consideraion, it is consistent and logical that He would do likewise with Hitler.
    Shouldn't we forgive him too? Isn't learning to become like Jesus what we should all be aspiring to?
    As difficult and ridiculous as it may seem, Jesus set the example of forgiveness. Yes, we are to forgive Hitler. That does NOTmean we forget or don't learn from it or subscribe to it. Bringing it closer to our generation, Saddam Hussein is another one. Forgiveness, like the concept of the faithful remnant, is another major theme of the Bible.

Yes, we ARE supposed to be aspiring to become like Jesus. All Christians are intending to do so, in spite of our natural tendencies to sin. Jesus set the example of how to live. Jesus gave an example of a guy who challenged him as to how many times he was supposed to fogive another person. The guy asked if it was supposed to be up to 7 times. Jesus told him that it was to be 7 -> 70 times. Now some people look at that and say it should read 77 times or 490. But if you are married, even the 490 times gets exceeded in no time flat. what Jesus was trying to get across is that forgiveness is to be perpetual, ongoing, without ceasing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right, here I am again. Seems like a missed a lot just by not being here Saturday.

Quote[/b] ]remember god is ALL POWERFUL. he could make anything possible. he could make people's personalities not have anything to do with genes... or at least bypass the genes somehow. yet... he makes it unfair and unjust by giving some people a rotten apple while others a nice juicy apple.
    What matters is what people do with the apple they are given.
    the cellist

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 26 2005,10:55)]do what you will and have fun is what i say!

i'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist!

do one to others as you'd have then do unto you (or something like that)

live life to the fullest with no regrets!!

go down in a burning flame of glory!!!!!

when people think of you after your gone, make them think "I wish i could have partied with that guy!"
    I will be a bold witness for the Lord Jesus Christ and have fun doing it, that's what I say.

I'm a friend and child to the Most High God, that created all mankind.

Do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Live and die for Christ and be rewarded forever and ever, with NO regrets!!!!

Go up burning for JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When people think of you after youre gone, make them think "That was man who who would do anything for God, I want his passion and the realtationship he had!!!!"

Quote[/b] ]Religion is just around to describe the icompreshensable or unexplained. The Ancients did not know what caoused weather so they had their gods have different moods. Now we know about weather so gods don't control it anymore. Eventually when we know what happens after death (the next grea adventure) we will be able to eliminate god(s) all together. I see a pattern (and I'm not the only one) where as the world because less comlicated with more understanding we need fewer and fewer gods.
    We will ALL know what happens after death... Some will like what happens, and others... well they won't. But since we don't believe in heaven and hell... well we can keep wondering what will happen. We can never really know what happens unless you die and then return to life. But even then you may not believe it cause you will pass it off as a dream. No one can know what happens after death without dieing. We know about weather because we can see it while we live. Death is a whole different thing.

Quote[/b] ]All right, here I am again. Seems like a missed a lot just by not being here Saturday.

Quote[/b] ]Quote
    remember god is ALL POWERFUL. he could make anything possible. he could make people's personalities not have anything to do with genes... or at least bypass the genes somehow. yet... he makes it unfair and unjust by giving some people a rotten apple while others a nice juicy apple.

What matters is what people do with the apple they are given.
    It is all dependent on us. He gave us a sayso on our personalities. He gave us CHOICES. He doesn't want us to be mindless zombie slaves, He created us to fellowship with Him, but our choice was to be separated from him. He thus, gave up his son that we could join Him in fellowship with him again. I've heard a lot about him not loving us. Giving up your son for someone else is the ultimate show of love it seems to me. Giving up your life as completely pure and powerful to become a human so that the human could join you in glory for all eternity.... If this is hate I can't wait to see love!!!!!

Edit: daggumit.... I wrote a novel....
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 27 2005,12:16)]example of forgiveness. Yes, we are to forgive ... Saddam Hussein
    Easy for you to say. Who was killed that was related to you because of what he did?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 27 2005,2:32)]
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 27 2005,12:16)]example of forgiveness. Yes, we are to forgive ... Saddam Hussein
    Easy for you to say. Who was killed that was related to you because of what he did?
    I have no relatives from WW2 that I knew, but my parents did. No it isn't easy. It is a loving act - a choice. Life carries with it enough personal hurt to make things difficult for us all to forgive. Nevertheless, forgiving heals wounds. No marriage can possibly survive without conscious choice to humble ourselves, put aside our pride, show mercy, and forgive one another. Same with co-workers and friends.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like tons of fun, wesley [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (droseradude @ Mar. 27 2005,3:32)]AS an opening statement, if feelings, etc. were made for humans to thrive, it certainly is working pretty poorly, people are getting killed all over the world, millions are depressed, angry, etc.
    Evolution isn't about perfection. It's about what's good enough. Life is far from ideal for us, but we're also breeding the world into oblivion and crushing all other species around us. So technically we're a "successful" species, even though sometimes I'd prefer that we get wiped off the planet completely.

I do believe in a lot of "supernatural" things (natural things that aren't explained yet)... but it's been demonstrated over and over again that evolution doesn't have and doesn't need a brain behind it. The fact that things are so imperfect supports that notion more than it supports a designer.

What you said about the various emotions can pretty easily be attributed to empathy, selfish genes, etc, but I don't want to make this an evolution thread either. It was futile last time and would be again.

And about the universe's expansion... yes, it seems we've avoided a crunch, but what if the universe goes on expanding forever? After the big bang, the various forces of the universe split into separate forces as the universe "cooled". Most of this happened within nanoseconds. Then only two forces that are still integrated are in the electro-magnetism pair. When the universe "cools" to the point where that pair splits, presumably light won't even exist, among other things. I can't remember all of the science off the top of my head, but the point is the universe may eventually be a barren, lifeless wasteland where everything is at or just above absolute zero, and could be that way for eternity.

So it's easy to say that everything had perfect timing right now. But if you were observing a universe that had been dead for 1,000,000 billion years (and still going), having only contained life for maybe 50 billion years if that, would it look so perfect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 27 2005,12:16)]As difficult and ridiculous as it may seem, Jesus set the example of forgiveness. Yes, we are to forgive Hitler. That does NOTmean we forget or don't learn from it or subscribe to it. Bringing it closer to our generation, Saddam Hussein is another one. Forgiveness, like the concept of the faithful remnant, is another major theme of the Bible.

Yes, we ARE supposed to be aspiring to become like Jesus. All Christians are intending to do so, in spite of our natural tendencies to sin. Jesus set the example of how to live. Jesus gave an example of a guy who challenged him as to how many times he was supposed to fogive another person. The guy asked if it was supposed to be up to 7 times. Jesus told him that it was to be 7 -> 70 times. Now some people look at that and say it should read 77 times or 490. But if you are married, even the 490 times gets exceeded in no time flat. what Jesus was trying to get across is that forgiveness is to be perpetual, ongoing, without ceasing.
    That's good, that's what I was hoping the answer would be.

The big question is, would you even aspire to perform miracles? Jesus didn't want followers in the end, he wanted peers, wouldn't you say? "This you too can do."

The historical church of course didn't want you to stand next to Jesus, they wanted you to grovel. They couldn't get rich off of empowered people.

So pushing the church's manipulation out of your mind completely (and much of it is still around, not because people intend to manipulate, but because they don't know the difference... what they were taught is true as far as they're concerned) and following Jesus completely... why not believe you can be capable of what he was capable of? Could Son of God and Children of God be the same thing?