What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ Mar. 22 2005,5:48)]I am a philosophical naturalist.  Not only do I believe in the methodological naturalism of science (nature is the only objective standard we have for science), but I also believe natural, rather than supernatural, explanations cover everything in the universe.

Merely not having yet discovered the natural cause of a phenomenon, IMHO, is not rational justification for assuming that a supernatural cause exists.  To arrive at a supernatural explanation, we would first have to consider and reject all possible natural causes, which would require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe.
but in the same manner of logic not being able to explain something means that supernatural causes could be just as likely as natural. Without evidence that shows how or why something happens both explainations are equally valid. Saying that everything can be explained by natural laws would also require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe, which is something that humans are very far from achieving (if its even possible).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well faith is based on relationships, and in relationships there is nothing to prove
that's what the "(not like that anyway)." part was for. one thing is believing in your friends and stuff and another is believing a book written thousands of years ago about a guy who rose from the dead. It's totally different. besides... you have reasons to believe someone. have they lied to you? why/how/etc... it's not just some thing a book written by people talks about.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I tell can you it's worth it, but since I'm not a scientist you won't beleive me.
I was christian once... and I can tell you it's not worth it to me. I'm not the kind that believes things like that on faith only (with zero evidence).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was christian once... and I can tell you it's not worth it to me. I'm not the kind that believes things like that on faith only (with zero evidence).

So you had a personal relationship with God?

I did pray and ask for things and thanked "him" and everything... is that what you mean?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] one thing is believing in your friends and stuff and another is believing a book written thousands of years ago about a guy who rose from the dead. It's totally different. besides... you have reasons to believe someone. have they lied to you?

No, come to think of it, God hasn't lied to me, and neither has the Bible. While some parts (such as the method of creation) are up to interpretation, there is not one flaw in truth in the whole Bible. And no, it's not just about a guy who rose from the dead a few thousand years ago. It's about a guy who's still around now. You're right, it is totally different believing your friends and stuff and beleiving a book. I can trust God to tell the truth even when nobody else does.

Peter

AW,
That's part of it. Did you do it out of sincerity or because that's just how it was supposed to be done?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No, come to think of it, God hasn't lied to me, and neither has the Bible
It hasn't lied to you because you base your beliefs on it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That's part of it.  Did you do it out of sincerity or because that's just how it was supposed to be done?
well, I was little and I really believed it. But like Frederick Douglass said (I got this from wikipedia)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I prayed for freedom twenty years, but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I did pray and ask for things and thanked "him" and everything... is that what you mean?

Its more like a relationship between you and your best friend

How? you can't see him, you can't joke around, you can't TALK with him, etc.
If you ask me it's more like a relationship between you and yourself (and I do have a nice relationship with myself lol... sometimes I piss me off... but hey, it's me so I can't stay mad at myself for long)

Well thats my point alpha. That you are correct in we beleve what we want to. Because there is no reason christians should beleve anything any more then hindus. They were more then likely raised that way and then continued to want to beleve in their "religion".

My point is you can't have religion without wanting to believe. Soem religions just fit better and others (like mine) I came to conculsions through analasys of data. There by basing mine on Knowledge. Its not like scientists can see electons but we know they are there. So would it not be a belief that they exist even though we have knowledge about it?

I believe that a few ignorant people can screw everything up for the rest of us.
mad.gif

More like idiots in your case

I believe I'll have yet another glass of merlot.  

Best bumper sticker I ever saw..."Jesus, save me from your followers."  

I'm a Deist. So were a lot of our founding fathers.  The other ones were Unitarians and Free-Thinkers.  I'm in good company. If there was a religion called nature freak..that would be mine.

When "your" guy shows up in front of me and takes away my MS, when he can give me a rational reason for the Tsunami or the existence of the NRA, when he can up-front explain to me WHY it's necessary that so many good people die slowly and painfully, or slowly and painfully in the bloom of their youth, or WHY he allowed the massacre of 800,000 innocent people in Rwanda, and on and on and on and on and on, ad infinitum...then I'll believe.  Until then...Just the facts m'aam.

Oh and just to pick a holy book out of the crop, the Bible has lots of really evil advice in it.  So does the Q'uaran, now that I think about it.   April

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If there was a religion called nature freak..that would be mine.
LOL! if there was that religion I'd be the biggest fanatic ever! :p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the Bible has lots of really evil advice in it. So does the Q'uaran, now that I think about it. April

They do? Yep I'm lost... Enlighten me/us.

stoning... for example.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]stoning... for example

Actually, a lot of people in this society get stoned and enjoy it.
smile_n_32.gif

JK of course. The New Testament Bible, btw, does not teach the practice of stoning.

I believe this is the most sane thread on religion/beliefs I have seen in a while.
smile.gif

Peace all.

tell me about it
smile.gif

Back