What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
i think the holy spirit is just a metaphor and not to be taken litterly, myself. like the "holiday spirit"

Well you know all anchient religions (most with multiple gods) worshiped a "mother Nature" figure that was female, and created nature and most had her create people and make them fetile. So Men gods are new in importance. I will not argue that Zeus was not important but more important to peoples existances was the female "Earth Mother"

Ahh so it's like the spirit of the law. Not the ghost of a policeman but the general attitude and feel.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 24 2005,4:42)]I believe in God. I believe in the same awesome God in which Christians place their faith. I do not believe Jesus Christ was the son of God. I do not believe in the existence of Hell.

Forget the Merlot April honey, pass me a Mike's Hard Lemonade or a nice cheap glass of a decent table wine. Preferably a white zinfandel.
So then what would you consider yourself?

you cant believe in god but not hell. thats a contradiction.

you can't bend the rules like that.

Oh jeez is this going to be like:
"You can't have happyness without sadness"? It better not be. Because I seriously doubt that statement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 24 2005,6:50)]you cant believe in god but not hell. thats a contradiction.

you can't bend the rules like that.
JLP... I thought you were in this to not help my cause... but I think she meant sorta like the island anaology. Just all one place. And that there isn't eternal suffering? Correct me if I'm wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but i think religion is for the weak and desperate, or in most cases, closed minded and forcefed.

Them's fightin' words!!!
smile_n_32.gif
There are thousands of Christians out there that are definately not like that, and even all the other religions(except maybe cannibels). Just letting you know that most of those Christians you see on tv are not like the majority of the faith. The media has a way of making good decent people look REALLY bad/evil/radical.

As for the Ten Commandments, if you don't like them don't look at them. It's not like there is a man/woman waiting at the door making you look at them before you walk in. By the way are they gonna tear down the Washington Monument, and a LOT of Presidental graves cause they mention the Bible on them? Just throwing something out there. If theyre gonna get mad at one and have it destroyed why not have them ALL?

Okay uhh no I don't think anyone here or in the Us thinks about destroying graves. That is a no-no no matter where you are. I am not sure cannibleism is a religion. National monument is different from religious monument. Oddly enough most people in "the media" are christian. I have to agree with the quote wesley b/c most christians have not tried other religions and vice versa

Finch...no actually, I'd describe myself as a Deist or Free-Thinker.

Laura...Sending you a Mike's Hard Lemonade right now. Enoy.  Zinfandel is what you give a toddler.  
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have to agree with the quote wesley b/c most christians have not tried other religions and vice versa

Which quote?

And there are lotsa places that have the Bible mentioned, but most people could care less. Personally, I think you'd have to be pretty closeminded to get mad cause the Ten Commandments are listed on a courthouse. I mean, really if you don't like ignore it! So why is no one getting all up in a huff because the dollarbills and even coins say "In God we Trust"? And then the pledge, oh gosh! Preaching all about being open to other people's beliefs and ideas, can't even sing a traditional hymn that EVERYONE grew up with, or what about being allowed to say Merry Christmas, or even touching on the possibility of a world that might have been created? I don't see any open-mindedness in that. Show me where it is and I will never bring it up again.
confused.gif
I'm not wanting to sound angry or mean or anything these are just innocent questions.
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

JLAP, we call it Judaism but you may refer to it as a contradiction if you so desire. One correction however, I should have written that I do not believe in eternal Hell.

April, my S. purpurea seed started germinating. Think I'll go toddle on over into the bar and grab a bottle of $5 Beringers and celebrate. Care to join me?

The ten commandments or any other religious stuff(no matter what religion)don't belong on publicly owned, tax-payer supported lands, in publicly owned, tax-payer supported buildings, or anywhere else our tax dollars go to. This is why Bush's "Faith Based Initiative" makes me so angry...I don't want one dime of my tax dollars going to ANY religious group.  As far as I'm concerned, it's time to start making churches pay income and property taxes. It's high time they paid their fair share.  

Why is it that it's not enough for Christians to worship in their homes, churches and private schools?  No...they gotta manifest their religion everywhere, in public, and cry that they're oppressed when people object.  Sounds like deep, deep insecurity to me.  

And please, don't give me that "This is a Christian nation" screed.  Because it's not true.  Treaty of Tripoli, anyone?  

"You cannot have freedom OF religion until you have freedom FROM religion." I believe Benjamin Franklin said this.  If you want some more fun...look up all the "nice" things Thomas Jefferson and our other founding fathers had to say about Christianity.  Find the word "god" in our constitution.  

Thanks to you all for an entertaining, civil and rational discussion.  You hardly ever see this on any boards, anywhere, and thanks to the mods and owner for not taking it down!  April.

Ok...bandwidth waste, comin up.....

Laura, sure....I've got my $3.99 bottle of Walnut Crest..oh wait...this is a Cabernet Sauvignon.  Leaving for Florida tomorrow @ 4AM.  Cheers!  Got a list of good bars to go to in Atlanta.    
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 24 2005,5:59)]i disagree because water cannot exist as a solid, liquid, and gas ALL AT ONCE. for example, you can't have one ice cube, while at the same time it's a cube of liquid water (which without a container or gravity, is impossible) and while it is a solid AND liquid, it's also water vapor (gas) at the same time. it's impossible.

and yes, they should have removed the ten commandments.
As was said, it was just an analogy. but if ya don't like that one here's another one: It's a relational one. I have a father. I have a son. I also have a brother. I am all three at the same time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And please, don't give me that "This is a Christian nation" screed. Because it's not true. Treaty of Tripoli, anyone?

Ha! That was about the furthest thing from my mind LOL.
laugh.gif
smile_n_32.gif

on that note - Happy spring break everybody!

The Ten Commandments don't belong on public buildings, or as installed monuments, ESPECIALLY in courthouses. I am an atheist, and if I go to court, and there's a big 10C monument there admonishing me to have NO GOD BEFORE the Christian god, and that was put there by the judge that I'm facing, then I'd feel I wasn't getting unbiased justice. In fact, I'd be violating a couple of the Commandments just because of my beliefs. I don't want the government or courts telling me I can't worship any other god, or idols, or make graven images, or a bunch of other stuff that's patently false for non-Christians.

Having said that, it's ONLY public/government buildings where I have any objections. I believe people should have the widest possible latitude to follow any of their beliefs, religious, philosophical, or whim-based, and they should be respected by all.

Capslock

whoo! REALLY! lets just chill and enjoy the warm weather
smile.gif
Our Cp's sure are loving it!

ba ba ba ba ba i'm lovin' it.

Jim, that was a nice analogy.

April, we're packing too. I'm bringing a lap top this time. Pick up your phone in 5 minutes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 24 2005,8:38)]Jim, that was a nice analogy.
Thanks!

Hey, I just clicked on something that 13 cats, a hand, and your grow list. Oh, and something about guitars.

Back