What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
Yes, Wesley, they do. ESPECIALLY the Bible.  I'm not going to go into it here, but please feel free to PM me.  April

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How? you can't see him, you can't joke around, you can't TALK with him, etc.
If you ask me it's more like a relationship between you and yourself (and I do have a nice relationship with myself lol... sometimes I piss me off... but hey, it's me so I can't stay mad at myself for long)

You can talk to him, or you can talk with him. Sure, he usually doen't talk to you verbally, but hey, he's God, why should he? I would talk with you without speaking (or writing) if I could
smile_n_32.gif

Also, nobody made friends just by asking for stuff
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
It hasn't lied to you because you base your beliefs on it.

Hey man, guess why I base my beleifs on it?

Peter

Circuitous argument, Peter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sure, he usually doen't talk to you verbally, but hey, he's God, why should he?
lol... oh... just to save me from ETERNAL punishment. that's all.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Also, nobody made friends just by asking for stuff
remember I said I thanked him too?

Buddhism is a philosophy...not a religion. April

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 23 2005,4:05)]Buddhism is a philosophy...not a religion.  April
it is? wow then there are a lot of people who are seeking release form the cycle of reincarnation through a philosophy. Also there are millions of chinese who are being fooled by this "philosophy". if Buddhism is just a philosophy what qualifies something as a religion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lol... oh... just to save me from ETERNAL punishment. that's all.

Well avoiding ETERNAL punishment is entirely up to you. Nobody is going to force it on you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

And for anyone who wants to talk to me privately, please feel free to pm me, or if you have AIM, my screen name is: Caesalpinaguy

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well avoiding ETERNAL punishment is entirely up to you. Nobody is going to force it on you.
can't he make it a little easier to believe then? more than half the world isn't christian. are they all going to hell? He would be nice if he at least gave us some reason to believe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]can't he make it a little easier to believe then? more than half the world isn't christian. are they all going to hell? He would be nice if he at least gave us some reason to believe.

He made the world around us in a way that points to him, so we have no excuse not to at least acknowledge his existence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 22 2005,11:00)]Well avoiding ETERNAL punishment is entirely up to you.  Nobody is going to force it on you.
Sounds a little like filling a field with landmines, and innocently saying, "Nobody forced you to step there," every time someone gets blown to bits.

Isn't that passing the buck?

(Or do you mean you don't believe in the traditional hell either?)

Buddhism is actually a philosophy or a religion. It depends on the form of Buddhism, however to follow the Buddha's original teachings it would be considered a philosophy. Siddhartha considered himself a man not a god, and his teaching was an end to suffering. The religion came about later, and would take to long to explain how and why. I guess Voltaire was right "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him".

Oh, and the Qu'ran was given to Mohammad by the angel Gabriel not directly from Allah. Also you will find that the Torah and Bible are templates for the Qu'ran as the Qu'ran is supposed to supercede these books.

As for all your beliefs to each their own. Who would have thought studying philosophy, one would learn about the many world religions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sounds a little like filling a field with landmines, and innocently saying, "Nobody forced you to step there," every time someone gets blown to bits.

Isn't that passing the buck?

(Or do you mean you don't believe in the traditional hell either?)

If its a field with landmines, then you've been given a map showing the path to take through the field. If you dismiss the map as a bunch lies, that's your problem.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ktulu @ Mar. 22 2005,7:19)]but in the same manner of logic not being able to explain something means that supernatural causes could be just as likely as natural.   Without evidence that shows how or why something happens both explainations are equally valid.  Saying that everything can be explained by natural laws would also require complete and perfect knowledge of the universe, which is something that humans are very far from achieving (if its even possible).
What you are suggesting is called "The God of the Gaps" argument. The problem with it is that a gaps deity gets weaker as our knowledge increases.

Not being able yet to explain a phenomenon simply means we have yet to discover the natural cause; it does not mean there is no natural cause. I think attributing some mysterious occurrence to the supernatural is merely a cop-out, replacing an unsolved mystery with an inscrutible one.

This is not to say that faith has nothing to offer. I think faith is best left to answer the WHY behind the HOW; science gives you the HOW, but it does not (and can not) address the WHY. That is where faith lies.

Science employs methodological naturalism. This does not claim that there are no supernatural influences; it merely states that nature is the only objective, measurable standard we have by which to gain knowledge of the universe.

I take it a step further and extend it to philosophical naturalism: I do not believe any supernatural forces exist. As a scientist, I cannot back that claim up; I recognize it is a belief, and that science can offer no evidence either way on such matters. I simply feel nature is big enough to explain everything and feel supernatural claims tend to violate Occam's Razor.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,9:56)]If its a field with landmines, then you've been given a map showing the path to take through the field.  If you dismiss the map as a bunch lies, that's your problem.
Many different groups have been given different maps. Each group is convinced their map is the correct one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Science employs methodological naturalism. This does not claim that there are no supernatural influences; it merely states that nature is the only objective, measurable standard we have by which to gain knowledge of the universe.

I take it a step further and extend it to philosophical naturalism: I do not believe any supernatural forces exist. As a scientist, I cannot back that claim up; I recognize it is a belief, and that science can offer no evidence either way on such matters. I simply feel nature is big enough to explain everything and feel supernatural claims tend to violate Occam's Razor.

No1. I think we all agree that nature/science is about the only way to find out about nature and the such... so why are we disagreeing about that?
confused.gif

No2. I firmly believe there are things that will and have happened that can not be explained. They are natural though... super-natural. HA I amaze myself... I can never think of witty answers until later and yet I just came up with one!!!!

No3. What the heck does Occam's Razor mean? I'm only a 9th grader.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,9:56)
If its a field with landmines, then you've been given a map showing the path to take through the field. If you dismiss the map as a bunch lies, that's your problem.

Many different groups have been given different maps. Each group is convinced their map is the correct one.

Yep, that is true, but it will be a VERY LONG time before we find out which one is the right map. Everyone hopes it's their's that's for sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Many different groups have been given different maps. Each group is convinced their map is the correct one.

The thing is only people in one group personally know the cartographer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,1:59)]The thing is only people in one group personally know the cartographer.
Each group is equally convinced they're that group. This can go on forever.

My originial point was if you fill a field with mines... chances are it's your fault if someone gets hurt. Blaming the victim would be outrageous.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 23 2005,1:51)]No1. I think we all agree that nature/science is about the only way to find out about nature and the such... so why are we disagreeing about that?

Sorry.  I spent a fair amount of time debating fundamentalists about creation vs. evolution, among other things, and one of the core issues is the nature and validity of the scientific method, i.e.-- what the difference is between science and faith, so this exact issue comes up pretty frequently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 23 2005,1:51)]No2.  I firmly believe there are things that will and have happened that can not be explained.  They are natural though... super-natural. HA I amaze myself... I can never think of witty answers until later and yet I just came up with one!!!!

Sure, there are plenty of phenomena that are not yet explained.  But there exist natural explanations for them, and if we spend the time and energy to investigate them, we will discover them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 23 2005,1:51)]No3. What the heck does Occam's Razor mean?  I'm only a 9th grader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor

Simply put, Occam's Razor states that the simplest complete explanation is usually the best.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Each group is equally convinced they're that group. This can go on forever.

Actually only people in one group actually know him. Every other monotheist group I know of considers God as some remote being, who's good will you have to earn.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingShaman @ Mar. 23 2005,9:09)]Buddhism is actually a philosophy or a religion. It depends on the form of Buddhism, however to follow the Buddha's original teachings it would be considered a philosophy. Siddhartha considered himself a man not a god, and his teaching was an end to suffering. The religion came about later, and would take to long to explain how and why. I guess Voltaire was right "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him".

Oh, and the Qu'ran was given to Mohammad by the angel Gabriel not directly from Allah. Also you will find that the Torah and Bible are templates for the Qu'ran as the Qu'ran is supposed to supercede these books.
your definition of religion is differnt than mine, which is fine, but from my studies of buddhism i have to say it is a religion and always has been. From what i gathered about siddhartha teachings it was a religion, but i know that is something people debate.

And the qu'ran was given by the archangel gabriel, but gabriel only relayed the word of god, so it is ispired directly from god or allah (which is just arabic for god). Also the torah and the bible are considred tainted by man, although they have some validity muslism feel that the word of god was corrupted by man and that is why mohammad was given the qu'ran.

Back