What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He made the world around us in a way that points to him, so we have no excuse not to at least acknowledge his existence.
obviously it doesn't point to him as not even half the people in the world are christian. And that's not counting the ones who SAY they're christian but are not. In indonesia/mexico/africa/etc. millions of people say they're christian but they also believe in witchcraft and other religions. And I can say that from experience (sheesh... one time we went to Chihuahua and there was the creepiest market I had ever seen. mingled among crucifixes and christian saints and everything were dead dried hummingbirds, lizards, snakes, etc...) . Will God really send more than half the people in the world to hell because he obviously didn't give us a good reason to choose christianity over other religions? I don't know about you but if god would really do that, I know PEOPLE who are nicer than God.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sounds a little like filling a field with landmines, and innocently saying, "Nobody forced you to step there," every time someone gets blown to bits.
exactly!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,3:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Each group is equally convinced they're that group. This can go on forever.

Actually only people in one group actually know him.  Every other monotheist group I know of considers God as some remote being, who's good will you have to earn.
What about polytheism? I mean Athena was real to Homer and certainly not remote. Neither wer any of the other gods/goddesses

See if I was "god" I would use people as my minions. To do my bidding.
Oh wait, the Pope already did that. Darn I thought I had a new idea.

Someone explain to me what Jesus is. No seriously, what is he/it. If he/it was the son of "god" and a human that would make him a demi-god. SOP you would be worshipping 1.5 gods. Or if he is "the same god" as people have told me you are worshipping two halfs or three thirds (If you count the wholy spirit thingy).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](If you count the wholy spirit thingy).
HOLY spirit. LOL
speaking of that... what's the holy spirit anyway?

My bet would be a ghost

it's also called the holy ghost so yeah :p
it's represented by a dove... I think it has something to do with coming to earth to tell someone something... (no I don't mean gabriel lol)

You know after reading most of the ANne Rice vampire Chronicals it's my belef that only vampires should be named Gabriel. It is just so fitting.

Where does the Holy Cow fit in?

that's hinduism. don't get your religions messed up! lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Will God really send more than half the people in the world to hell because he obviously didn't give us a good reason to choose christianity over other religions?

Nope, he will only hold us accountable for what we know. And there isn't really anything about choosing other religions over Christianity. God gave us instructions at the beginning, and then men made up religions.

And the instructions were???
Dear God,
Please email, pm, or somehow send me a hard copy of your instructions.
Apparently your follower,
Tre

Most consider the instructions to be the Bible. Hence the acronyme(sp) Basic Intsructions Before Leaving Earth. But since we obviously don't believe in the Bible, I guess we can all be like the "typical" male(I think we had a discussion on that though), and we are gonna forget the instructions on how to get through the minefield called Life

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,6:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Will God really send more than half the people in the world to hell because he obviously didn't give us a good reason to choose christianity over other religions?

Nope, he will only hold us accountable for what we know.  And there isn't really anything about choosing other religions over Christianity.  God gave us instructions at the beginning, and then men made up religions.
Wesley,

The bible was written by mortal men.  Hence the names of the chapters...and subject to the prejudices and experiences of the person/s who wrote it.  Notice that none of the chapters are called god.  If god was skilled enough to call this world into being...don't you think he would be able to write the bible himself?  Why did he need John and Paul and Leviticus, et. al, to be his mouth-pieces? HE is all powerful. Allegedly. HE knows every sparrow that falls. Allegedly. HE can't write a book?

and why did he favor them over us? that doesn't sound like "all men were created equal" to me. not to mention some people have never even heard of the bible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The bible was written by mortal men.

The Bible was written by normal men, who were inspired by God. You'd be hard pressed to find ten men throughout history to independently write books in complete agreement with each other.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 23 2005,9:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ Mar. 23 2005,6:36)]
[b said:

Nope, he will only hold us accountable for what we know. And there isn't really anything about choosing other religions over Christianity. God gave us instructions at the beginning, and then men made up religions.
Wesley,

The bible was written by mortal men. Hence the names of the chapters...and subject to the prejudices and experiences of the person/s who wrote it. Notice that none of the chapters are called god. If god was skilled enough to call this world into being...don't you think he would be able to write the bible himself? Why did he need John and Paul and Leviticus, et. al, to be his mouth-pieces? HE is all powerful. Allegedly. HE knows every sparrow that falls. Allegedly. HE can't write a book?
Why was that directed to me? I think rubra wrote that one? Give the REAL author his just reward!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
And actually Moses wrote Leviticus. He had men write the books because well, it would be much easier to identify with a human than a God. Oh and the original Ten Commandments(not the ones some idiot judge removed cause they happened to mention God), were written by God. Moses messed up(he's human) and broke them in anger when he saw what the rest of Israel had been doing in his absense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] there was a religion called nature freak..that would be mine
Yes, Luis and aprilh are Druids

I beleive that feeling of conectivity, tghet feeling of anothr suprememe being through wich all things are tied to (AKA god and the feelings people say they get from 'being in his precence') Is all in the person's head. It isnt just god but whatever feeing that gives you that specal charge. Ypu religous people know what im taling about.

I iave seen that there is some evedence to suggest that it is a relese of chemicals from the brain that gives that feeling, and that depending on ur beleife, this chemical charge can be obtained in any number of ways. This is also affected by genetics, some having a stronger or weaker relese of these chemicals depending on the genes you gave inhereded, as well as your upbringing.

Thats what i beleive, unless evidence can prove/disprove. i admit while it it a tantlizing finding, i have yet to see the same results dupliated in others. Bening reletevly recent, i expect to see more information on this subject soon.

I believe in God. I believe in the same awesome God in which Christians place their faith. I do not believe Jesus Christ was the son of God. I do not believe in the existence of Hell.

Forget the Merlot April honey, pass me a Mike's Hard Lemonade or a nice cheap glass of a decent table wine. Preferably a white zinfandel.

Back