What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
oooo I liked the guitar section. I have a Takimini G series.

Edit: ok then, April, I LOVED your guitar section!

Hi Jim- you blew it honey. I don't have a guitar and wouldn't kno what to do with one if I did. I only have 8 indoor cats and none of mine have photographs on their website. April has 13 and the guitars. My grow list was posted there because her husband put it up for me as a favor because I am computer illiterate. That Grow List hasn't been updated lately because Terra provided space for us now and I can handle editing that all by my little old self.

Which reminds me, April... you can tell lover boy that Terra has a forum for grow lists now. He'll probably be relieved he doesn't have to fix all of my misspellings and such any longer. For the record, I called or e-mailed her poor husband every time seed germinated and every time I bought or received a new plant. He was such a good sport.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for the Ten Commandments, if you don't like them don't look at them.
you know... I'm gonna go dance naked in front of your house. You don't like it? don't look at it. (err... me)
and that's just ME! this isn't about a private citizen, this is about a public courthouse payed by tax dollars. (and everything else they've said :p)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 24 2005,8:57)]Hi Jim- you blew it honey. I don't have a guitar and wouldn't kno what to do with one if I did. I only have 8 indoor cats and none of mine have photographs on their website.  April has 13 and the guitars. My grow list was posted there because her husband put it up for me as a favor because I am computer illiterate.  That Grow List hasn't been updated lately because Terra provided space for us now and I can handle editing that all by my little old self.
*tail goes between legs*

Man, that's a lot of litter boxes! That reminds me of a certain link to a special, edible cat box.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]this isn't about a private citizen, this is about a public courthouse payed by tax dollars.

Makes me wonder just how much they spent removing the thing...

i dont think anyone could do anything worth an ETERNITY of heaven or hell. including faith. no one could be SO good or bad to go to heaven forever or hell forever.

Jimscott...the hand, the 13 cats...that was me, LOL!  April

Laura doesn't have any guitars and lives a diminished life because of that.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 24 2005,6:10)]My next question is why are most of the major religion's god(s) men?  Is it just me or...
In my opinion, there are a number of red flags indicating that someone has created their God in their own image. Assigning it a gender is one of them.

As for hell, what better way for olden day churches to gain total control over the general public? There were allegedly references to reincarnation in the bible, but Constantine & Co. had them removed, calling them 'heresy'. You can't control someone who doesn't fear death. Unfortunately we'll probably never know how factual this is... since throughout the bible's history people have been far more interested in its 'perfection' than in objectivity.

if there is a god, it's an it and not a he or she. it would be formless and genderless. i think you'd perceive it how you wish.

you go the heaven for the weather and hell for the people
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In my opinion, there are a number of red flags indicating that someone has created their God in their own image. Assigning it a gender is one of them.

So what should we call God. It? I guess it's rather unfortunate that we don't have any aquedate pronouns, but that doesn't meant that anything/one refered to as him or he is masculine or male.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for hell, what better way for olden day churches to gain total control over the general public?

What better way to gain control over America than to uncover a terrorist plot? What better way to gain control over a blind man than to tell him he's heading for a cliff?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There were allegedly references to reincarnation in the bible, but Constantine & Co. had them removed, calling them 'heresy'.

Let's see the reference info for that one...

Many say 'he' and mean 'it'. Many actually mean 'he'.

The church has a long and well-documented history of treachery and manipulation (what powerful historical organization doesn't?)... it's just strange to me that people don't think it's even remotely possible that that corruption could have made its way into the biblical texts themselves at any point. Because the books are perfect, of course.

And like I said, there's probably no way to find an objective answer on the reincarnation thing... but here are a few sites that talk about it. Some aren't the greatest but they're what I can find when I get home late from work and just want to go to bed.
smile.gif

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/iznik.htm
http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/reincar/re-imo.htm
http://www.mandrake-press.com/content....on.html
http://www.reincarnation.ws/ (links toward the bottom) (no I'm not gnostic)
http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-pope.htm

I'm not making this about reincarnation or advocating that people believe in it or anything like that. It's just an example. I'm mainly just unclear on how the bible can be seen as untainted when its caretakers have proven themselves to be quite corrupt quite often.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 24 2005,10:28)]Jimscott...the hand, the 13 cats...that was me, LOL!  April

Laura doesn't have any guitars and lives a diminished life because of that.  
smile_m_32.gif
Oh, I know that! I was being mildly cryptic about checking out the picture topic, which of course, was your webpage. I was surprised to see Laura's grow list there. Man, I think you have more cats than the Aunt B. actress from the Andy Griffith Show! the most we ever had was 3, not counting a half dozen kittens. Got any Maine Coon?

You know what they say: "Every guitar player has his/her pic!" And what music do you like playing?

): You're not going to believe this but the "church" as you described it, with all its abuses, wasn't characterized by people of faith; that is, real Christians. What you have is christian in name only (nominal christians) Do "real" Christians sin? Yes! The difference is that they have real faith and God shows them their sin. A true Christian hates their own sin and will acknowledge it as well seek forgiveness as well as turn away from it. Nominal christians wouldn't understand all that and wouldn't seek to be in right relationship with God. Therefore, those abuses you alluded to, went unchecked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And like I said, there's probably no way to find an objective answer on the reincarnation thing... but here are a few sites that talk about it.

That goes for a whole lot of misinformation. There's also plenty of sites on how "Stairway to Heaven" played backwards contains a lot of Satanic messages.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The church has a long and well-documented history of treachery and manipulation (what powerful historical organization doesn't?)... it's just strange to me that people don't think it's even remotely possible that that corruption could have made its way into the biblical texts themselves at any point. Because the books are perfect, of course.

And yet, even after all that corruption, the texts we have today are nearly exactly what has been found on the ancient manuscripts.

There has ALWAYS been a faithful remnant throughout history. God ALWAYS had those who would keep their faith in Him, in spite of corruption, apostacy, watering down, adding to...

The big picture is this: No matter what translational differences you may encounter, no matter what insignificant mistakes you may find or think you find, the overall message is 100 % consistent: God has always wanted us to love Him and love people. He always wanted us to put our faith/ trust/ confidence in Him. He has always told us what he expects of us, along with the consequences of choosing not to do so.

Don't get hung up on small details or apparent contradictions. You get a different slant because of a different audience, for a different purpose, on the same subject. Put the whole Bible together, with all sides accounted for. You will see the consistency.

Scribes, though not perfect, were incredibly careful in transcribing languages. There are Hebrew letters that look similar enough to have been confused, with different meanings. But when you look at the context of the manuscript, you can figure out what was intended.

Someimes translating from one language to another is problematic, partially because there may be more than one meaning for a word, or that one language doesn't have word to adequately describe the meaning being conveyed. Something as important as trying to convey truth is not taken lightly. It has been researched and studied more than any other document- more than Shakespeare, and nobody seems to want to rip Shakespeare to shreds.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Mar. 24 2005,2:19)]I beleive that feeling of conectivity, tghet feeling of anothr suprememe being  through wich all things are tied to (AKA god and the feelings people say they get from 'being in his precence') Is all in the person's head. It isnt just god but whatever feeing that gives you that specal charge. Ypu religous people know what im taling about.

I iave seen that there is some evedence to suggest that it is a relese of chemicals from the brain that gives that feeling, and that depending on ur beleife, this chemical charge can be obtained in any number of ways. This is also affected by genetics, some having a stronger or weaker relese of these chemicals depending on the genes you gave inhereded, as well as your upbringing.

Thats what i beleive, unless evidence can prove/disprove. i admit while it it a tantlizing finding, i have yet to see the same results dupliated in others. Bening reletevly recent, i expect to see more information on this subject soon.
Yup, I'm a hardcore atheist, and I get those feelings when I'm studying physics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 24 2005,5:59)]i disagree because water cannot exist as a solid, liquid, and gas ALL AT ONCE. for example, you can't have one ice cube, while at the same time it's a cube of liquid water (which without a container or gravity, is impossible) and while it is a solid AND liquid, it's also water vapor (gas) at the same time. it's impossible.

and yes, they should have removed the ten commandments.
well, technically, at the triple point it exists as all three...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ Mar. 24 2005,6:21)]H-3 is radioactive.  I don't remember what it is used for though.
Tritium is sometimes used in luminous watch dials, but it's mostly used to boost the efficiency of nuclear weapons.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Man, that's a lot of litter boxes! That reminds me of a certain link to a special, edible cat box.

Tee he, I have 12 litter boxes and I have no idea how many she has but there certainly isn't an edible one in the bunch. Were you referring to that disgusting Halloween Kitty Litter Cake recipe that makes everyone gag?
http://www.bertc.com/kitty.htm
I'm the one who has the Maine Coon looking cat. He's probably nothing more than a DLH with the Maine Coon coloration but he certainly is a nice looking animal.

April left early this morning to visit her parents in Florida. She won't be back for a while and she doesn't have a lap top. Shame as I have no doubt she'd really love to jump in to this thread.

Good point here Jim,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are Hebrew letters that look similar enough to have been confused

Another valid point-
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Someimes translating from one language to another is problematic, partially because there may be more than one meaning for a word, or that one language doesn't have word to adequately describe the meaning being conveyed.

Hey endparenthesis, loved your links.
Note what is indicated here regarding reincarnation-
http://members.aol.com/LazerA/archive/belief.html

Before I have to go and finish packing to get out of here I want to attempt to add a different spin on this topic.
The way I figure it is that there is a heaven and I'm going when I die. Everyone here is going there with me because my beliefs parallel what was written by Eliezer C. Abrahamson. The Christians, Non-Christians, atheists, and agnostics here at Terra are all good people in my humble opinion so you're all going regardless of your beliefs because it looks like you're all covered (whether you want to be or not) even if you have to spend 12 months in Hell before you come and join the others.  Bottom line, believe what you want if you are a good and honorable person as there are safety nets out there in my belief system! Here's wishing all a happy spring break!

looks like we're all set then laura. your religion is definately more fair and believable than "christianity".
biggrin.gif

Back