What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets discuss beliefs

• Thread starter Treaqum
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 28 2005,4:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you dont care then why did you ask?
because I was promised some documents.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]third you have the name of the writer, Tacitus, the dates he was alive, and the name of the book it was in The Annals.  Sorry i couldnt find a complete version of it online, but you know you could go to a library and find a copy of the Annals im sure.  see the fact that you say you dont know where i got it from proves to me that you are ignoring things when i stated it right there in that post.
so now i'm supposed to do the research for you? you're the one who's trying to prove to me that there are documents saying jesus existed. You're the one who says he found that quote and now can't find it. what makes you think i'm going to find it?
and no, I didn't know where you got it from. I didn't know what annals ment!
no your not doing any research for me, however if you do not believe what i say, as you seem not to, and you would like to check it out it is in The Annals(its a book) written by the roman Tacitus. What more do you want, would you like me to raise him from the dead and have him proffess it to you? i mean i am giving you all the information you should need, your ignorance(not meant in a degrading way) on the subject of Roman history is not my fault, the fact that you dont know what The Annals is isnt my fault, you wanted documents and there is one, i dont see what you want. its not that i cant find, there isnt a complete copy of The Annals online like i said in my last post, its not my fault.

at least tell me the page or something so I don't have to read all of that to find it!

ok, I did the research for you. there are plenty of sites about it. sheesh. you make it seem so hard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 28 2005,4:34)]ok, I did the research for you. there are plenty of sites about it. sheesh. you make it seem so hard.
yes i found it too, its in Annals 15.44, its not that its hard i just didnt have all the info infront of me

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin....c=15.44

there is a link to a complete set of it and to the right section

also... if you have any more documents i would still want them.

http://www.probe.org/docs/ancient.html

here there are a few more listed here one more roman and two jewish documents that mention jesus, and i think the jews hated jesus more than the romans did, so their mention of him should make it pretty clear that he did at some point exist, now if he was divine or not that is up for interpretation.

Luis,
when you are at a website, go up to your tool bar and left click on Edit. You will get a drop down menu.  From here left click on Find (on This Page). A window will open. Type the key word or words you are looking for in the field next to Find What and press the Enter key.
This is a neat trick someone shared with me to locate appropriate text on a page.  Make sure you are at the top of the page before searching as this search works downward.
This should speed up looking for what you want. It sure did for me.

How many times are you going to ask someone to prove Jesus or God exists just so you can argue it? Haven't you figured out that NONE of you are going to be persuaded and will not give the other a fair shot because you set out to prove others wrong instead of learning any real truth. You argue this over and over with no intention but to argue being right and dissuade others from their own belief systems. These Evo VS. Religion threads get old and annoying, they were at ONE time fun and a learning experience - not anymore.

confused.gif

$uperimposedhope

Ktulu,

No, the jews didn't hate jesus any more than the Romans did.  The romans knew jesus and his sheeplings were a threat, 'cuz nothing is has sharper teeth than an evangelical christian.  The romans knew that intolerance for other's beliefs is a basic tenet of christianity, and they knew the christians would stop at nothing to destroy their way of life.

Next, you'll be trying to tell me that the jews killed jesus, which is obviously and patently incorrect.  April

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Mar. 27 2005,3:46)]The big question is, would you even aspire to perform miracles? Jesus didn't want followers in the end, he wanted peers, wouldn't you say? "This you too can do."

You've open up a can of worms, here! However, the bible is very clear that the Holy Spirit dispenses the manifestional gifts as He so chooses. I couldn't do a miracle if my life depended upon it. Same with speaking in tongues or interpreting or anything else extra-ordinary - at least thus far.

In one instance, Jesus had performed a miracle in front of the crowds. Those people were very impressed. However, Jesus was not impressed by the response from these people, because it was shallow, without faith. It was like a circus act. Jesus / God is impressed by faith and faith in action, which is expressing that faith in loving others, which includes the afore-mentioned forgiveness concept.

The historical church of course didn't want you to stand next to Jesus, they wanted you to grovel. They couldn't get rich off of empowered people.

Let me 'splain something to you: That historical church thing you are referring to is that "organized" Holy Roman Catholic church, LARGELY made up of people who were "christians" in name only. Thet identified themselves as being "christain" but were NOT Christians in heart. There is an incredible difference between someone who goes to church or identifies themselves as "christian" or Catholic or Protestant. It is the same in today's society. There are more christain in name only going to church than there are people who have Jesus into their hearts.

You are comparing religious theological garbage and people whose hearts never knew Jesus as Lord & Savior to those who have and lumped them all together. The same thing happened in Jesus' time. He was contending with the Jewish leaders (Pharisees & Sadducees) who didn't know the first thing about faith and love. He called them a brood of vipers. To those who called themselves "sons of Abraham" he was blunt again, telling them that they weren't true sins of Abraham because they don't do as Abraham did - which is to have faith. He was talking with nominal Jews - Jews in name only - which is what I was.

That "historical church", characteristically, did not represent true Christianity. It was dead. Just as the Jewish religion, as portrayed by the Pharisees, Sadducees, and other sheeplike commoners was dead, so is it in today's society. Nothing has changed in human history. However, the church always had a faithful remnant. So have the Jews and so it is true now.

So pushing the church's manipulation out of your mind completely (and much of it is still around, not because people intend to manipulate, but because they don't know the difference... what they were taught is true as far as they're concerned) and following Jesus completely... why not believe you can be capable of what he was capable of? Could Son of God and Children of God be the same thing?
Um, Could you ellucidate on that last paragraph? I'm not following it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 27 2005,11:11)]How many times are you going to ask someone to prove Jesus or God exists just so you can argue it? Haven't you figured out that NONE of you are going to be persuaded and will not give the other a fair shot because you set out to prove others wrong instead of learning any real truth. You argue this over and over with no intention but to argue being right and dissuade others from their own belief systems. These Evo VS. Religion threads get old and annoying, they were at ONE time fun and a learning experience - not anymore.

confused.gif

$uperimposedhope
Joe, funny you shoul say that! I was just telling someone essentially the same thing. As you remember, last year we had the "Passion of Christ" topic, immediately followed by the "Religious Preferences" topic, with pretty much the same cast of participants. It would have been better had their been like 6 months in between. A year later, we have the same scenario. And no one is convinced.

However, I find these topic fun and they have als resulted in some very positive things. Personally, I have found more Christians and made new friends. Even the one whose theological beliefs are at odds with mine, resulted in a side debate on the PM's, which resulted in an ongoing friendship. S that's pretty cool!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 27 2005,7:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 27 2005,11:11)]How many times are you going to ask someone to prove Jesus or God exists just so you can argue it? Haven't you figured out that NONE of you are going to be persuaded and will not give the other a fair shot because you set out to prove others wrong instead of learning any real truth. You argue this over and over with no intention but to argue being right and dissuade others from their own belief systems. These Evo VS. Religion threads get old and annoying, they were at ONE time fun and a learning experience - not anymore.

confused.gif

$uperimposedhope

Joe, funny you shoul say that! I was just telling someone essentially the same thing. As you remember, last year we had the "Passion of Christ" topic, immediately followed by the "Religious Preferences" topic, with pretty much the same cast of participants. It would have been better had their been like 6 months in between. A year later, we have the same scenario. And no one is convinced.

However, I find these topic fun and they have als resulted in some very positive things. Personally, I have found more Christians and made new friends. Even the one whose theological beliefs are at odds with mine, resulted in a side debate on the PM's, which resulted in an ongoing friendship. S that's pretty cool!
I would have to agree with Jim on that one, and I was(or one of the ones) you were talking to about that. Though these do get old(for both sides I'm sure), they do seem to help you make more friends. Sure, some of us(even me at times) can probably sound pretty cruel but we aren't trying to(I think).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ktulu,

No, the jews didn't hate jesus any more than the Romans did. The romans knew jesus and his sheeplings were a threat, 'cuz nothing is has sharper teeth than an evangelical christian. The romans knew that intolerance for other's beliefs is a basic tenet of christianity, and they knew the christians would stop at nothing to destroy their way of life.

Next, you'll be trying to tell me that the jews killed jesus, which is obviously and patently incorrect. April

uh..... I've always read and heard that the Jews(not the Romans) chose to crucify Jesus in place of a murderer.......

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]also... if you have any more documents i would still want them.

I thought you didn't care? It's great that you want them and all but if you don't care, that's just a waste of our time researching something. If youre gonna use it then we will be all the more happy to look it up though. Just seeing which course youre gonna take cause you keep switching on us, dude.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 28 2005,6:11)]Ktulu,

No, the jews didn't hate jesus any more than the Romans did.  The romans knew jesus and his sheeplings were a threat, 'cuz nothing is has sharper teeth than an evangelical christian.  The romans knew that intolerance for other's beliefs is a basic tenet of christianity, and they knew the christians would stop at nothing to destroy their way of life.

Next, you'll be trying to tell me that the jews killed jesus, which is obviously and patently incorrect.  April
Whoa calm down there, i never said anything about jews killing jesus, nor would i have, i know the romans killed jesus, unless you are a die hard christian in which case the sins of the people killed jesus but anyways.

The jews were the first to bring accusations against jesus for blasphemy(sp?) after his outburst at the temple. If you read jewish sources like the one in that link you would see the jews were going to stone jesus, however roman authority stepped in and crucified him, likely first to show who was in charge (romans hated anyone superceding their power) and secondly because they were afraid this was the jewish messiah who was supposed to lead judea in a revolt against roman authority. The roman motivations were completely political, without malice, do you really think jesus was the only person to every have new religious ideas in the roman empire? Oh and trying to mention that romans were afraid of evengelical christians is a joke at that time jesus had at most ~50 followers and plus techincally christianity did not exist yet since the resurecction is one of the principal teachings of it.

That's what I meant, before anyone "shows" me wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Whoa calm down there, i never said anything about jews killing jesus, nor would i have, i know the romans killed jesus, unless you are a die hard christian in which case the sins of the people killed jesus but anyways.

For all practical purposes, the Jews did kill Jesus. Sure the Romans were the ones who actually crucified him, but only because the Jews wanted it. The Pharisees weren't allow to kill Jesus themselves, so they brought the case before Pilate. Pilate didn't find him guilty, but he finally handed him over to be crucified because he wanted to keep peace.

That being said it really doesn't matter who killed Jesus; what matters is that he rose from the dead and is alive today.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Luis,
when you are at a website, go up to your tool bar and left click on Edit. You will get a drop down menu.  From here left click on Find (on This Page). A window will open. Type the key word or words you are looking for in the field next to Find What and press the Enter key.
lol. here's an easier one: ctrl + F. that's how I knew that the word "christus" wasn't in there.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How many times are you going to ask someone to prove Jesus or God exists just so you can argue it? Haven't you figured out that NONE of you are going to be persuaded and will not give the other a fair shot because you set out to prove others wrong instead of learning any real truth. You argue this over and over with no intention but to argue being right and dissuade others from their own belief systems. These Evo VS. Religion threads get old and annoying, they were at ONE time fun and a learning experience - not anymore.
I like them. I didn't ask about the documents just to argue. I want to know if there was any historical jesus. The annals one wasn't very good at all, so I asked for more. I wasn't out to prove jesus didn't exist, but if I'm NOT going to believe anything they tell me. I want GOOD sources. If you research, there is credibility issues about the annals guy, and that passing sentence doesn't prove jesus was historical. (reading the site he gave me, I still don't think jesus is a historical fact. like I said before... I think he probably did exist but I don't think he's a historical fact)
You know what people don't like? people don't like it when other people that aren't interested in the thread come in and bash the thread. That becomes very annoying to everyone.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I thought you didn't care?  It's great that you want them and all but if you don't care, that's just a waste of our time researching something.
by me not caring I meant that it's not going to change my view on christianity or religion, not that I didn't care to know.

The Romans wanted Jesus dead very much also...he was a "trouble-maker." He was responsible for riling up the people and the Romans knew that if his religion took over...theirs would go away. The Romans were polytheistic.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 28 2005,6:59)]
I guess these are your quotes... it seems that post had a quoting mishap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You've open up a can of worms, here! However, the bible is very clear that the Holy Spirit dispenses the manifestional gifts as He so chooses. I couldn't do a miracle if my life depended upon it. Same with speaking in tongues or interpreting or anything else extra-ordinary - at least thus far.
That's what I was curious about. I'm wondering how many people think the power came from Jesus, and how many think it came through Jesus (or both).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That "historical church", characteristically, did not represent true Christianity. It was dead. Just as the Jewish religion, as portrayed by the Pharisees, Sadducees, and other sheeplike commoners was dead, so is it in today's society. Nothing has changed in human history. However, the church always had a faithful remnant. So have the Jews and so it is true now.
I'm aware of that... I agree with you on it. What concerns me is who really had the power back then. Like what I said earlier about whether the bible has had things taken out of it or not. Of course the bible isn't in danger from the honest and faithful... but were they the ones in power at the time? And I believe some of the common contemporary Christian beliefs, maybe even the core ones, have developed from (or at least smell of) those disingenuous faithless people's various manipulations. I guess some examples of that might be the idea that God doesn't talk to people anymore (especially when that new information speaks of self-empowerment)... the idea that prophets that came after Jesus can't possibly be of divine origin... the idea that you can't tap into your own divine power, that it's either God or Satan working through you whenever you accomplish something seemingly extraordinary, and you're just a vehicle. Many of these ideas still stink of fear and control to me, which makes me suspicious.

In all seriousness, I think if someone appeared today who was capable of exactly what Jesus was allegedly capable of, but denied that he was Jesus (a brand spanking new 'son of God' I guess, or maybe just someone who figured out how the supernatural becomes natural), no matter how benign he seemed and how interested he was in the well-being of the planet, I think he would be hunted down like a dog, possibly by people who considered themselves the truly faithful, because of the echos of those historical fradulent teachings. 'Crucified' all over again.

I'm not really sure what my point is. I think I'm just rambling now. I'm glad part of your mission is seeing through the corruption.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Um, Could you ellucidate on that last paragraph? I'm not following it.
You answered that question already. I was basically asking whether the whole WWJD thing is lip service or if there are people out there who think they can genuinely follow in his footsteps.

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate a lot here... I'm just trying to get inside the heads of people and see where some of these beliefs come from. I actually hold you in high regard, so you know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 28 2005,9:11)]The Romans wanted Jesus dead very much also...he was a "trouble-maker."  He was responsible for riling up the people and the Romans knew that if his religion took over...theirs would go away.  The Romans were polytheistic.
i didnt say the romans did not want jesus dead, i just said it was for political reasons, the jews on the other hand wanted jesus dead for political, religous, and many of them personal reasons. It sounds to me like you have been influnced by some bad christian propoganda, the roman religion did not fear christianity. If the romans feared every cult that came about in their empire they would have had little time for anything other than destorying the cults. As long as the people would sacrifice to jupiter the romans did not care what religion or cult practices they had, the jews however refused to so they were seen as possible problem. Jesus was number one a jew, secondly he was a trouble maker and with Judeas history of revolts the romans likely felt that he would make a good example of what they would do to people(romans were all about propoganda). The roman religion however did not fear christianity, what did the roman empire have to fear from some guy cliaming to be god and his small number of followers, NOTHING. Romans exicuted jesus for solely political reasons, nothing else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 28 2005,8:56)]The annals one wasn't very good at all, so I asked for more. I wasn't out to prove jesus didn't exist, but if I'm NOT going to believe anything they tell me. I want GOOD sources. If you research, there is credibility issues about the annals guy, and that passing sentence doesn't prove jesus was historical. (reading the site he gave me, I still don't think jesus is a historical fact. like I said before... I think he probably did exist but I don't think he's a historical fact)
ok no offense alpha but if thats the way you think then constantine, julius ceasar, tiberius, nero, the assiarians, confucius, the tokogawa clan, etc... are all not historical facts, you might believe they existed but they are not facts. If you are not going to believe written documents, even when there are several that all point to one event or person, then your history can go back no further than your first memory. you can not believe all you want but if you will not believe the written documents then you will never find evidence that will statisfy you.

Back