Likes Likes:  0
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys ---

Let me clarify something that was said out of rage.

For one, I don't care if you post things about word association, games, or whatever...

There is a "General" forum for just that sort of posting.

I PERSONALLY don't really care.

However, if a thread gets too big.. it affects the performanc e of the server and database in some ways. It's only happened once or twice... and we shut down the thread. For nothing other than to better the performance of the forums.

I, at one point, saw the forums getting slow and made a decision on what threads should go in order to increase performance. It quite likely could have been any number of those "fun" threads mentioned earlier... I don't recall.

I think you will have to admit... that we don't lock much.. and we delete almost nothing.

That being said -- do what you want... just make it respectful.. and if it gets out of hand, expect one of us to lock it or remove it if it's degrading performance in *ANY* way.

-Phil
    Phillip J. Crane
    Austin, TX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New battle of the pics thread comin' right up.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil, you do NOT have to justify ANYTHING to anyone here. Most of us are greatfull to you for providing us this forum at all. Please do not feel like you have to give a reason for anything. I for one am just glad that you provide us with a place where we can share our common interest. Some people mistake your generosty as a "right"... thats their problem, not yours. You do not have to justify anything to me. If a mod says "No" then that means no.. period. Its unfortunate that others dont understand that concept. I am sorry that you even had to become involved in this.

As a longtime member of this forum, and a close personal friend to many of the mods, I feel that this whole situation could and SHOULD have been avoided by a simple level of respect that unfortunately some do not seem to posess.

If you needed to vent on someone who pulled your chain, then by all means have your fun in the sun!! I for one will never look down on you for that. People all have their limits. God knows that I have more than once deleted a post against members for things I dont like.. including more than one against Spec.

This is YOUR forum, you do not owe anyone anything for what you felt necessary to say.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeesh, I just clicked on this thread for the first time just now. I admit I haven't read every page, but a few thoughts (if anyone cares [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img])...

This is the best forum I'm currently on. In most forums I've visited in the past, no matter the subject, it always seems like the newcomers/inexperienced/children/whatever make up the majority of the forum, and the serious people with a lifetime of experience behind them are few and far between. Since there are so few experts to go around, disinformation spreads like wildfire as people eagerly parrot what they've heard and read (and never tried) to answer each other's questions... the blind leading the blind.

This is the only forum I've been on where the ratio is completely flipped around. More experts than you can shake a stick at and real tried-and-tested information in spades. It's great. When I join one of those other forums knowing little about whatever hobby it is, I find my knowledge exceeds that of the general membership within a few months, and I end up having to search everywhere online for answers to my advanced questions. I started here almost a year ago knowing very little, and still feel like I know very little compared to most of the people here. And that means everything.

I also don't see the big deal with some of the "inflammatory" threads here... because frankly they're incredibly tame compared to some of the other forums I just can't stomach anymore. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I've never seen drama here anywhere near as severe as what's commonplace on other forums. And I think somehow the aforementioned ratio is the reason for this.

Anyway... regarding running the forum. I can't speak for the owner and moderators, but this is how I think any good forum should be run:

-- As people have said, the forum is a gift. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- The forum is a private endeavor, and members are entitled to nothing whatsoever. The owner/moderators listen to your suggestions and complaints because they're being generous, not because you're entitled to be heard. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- You have free speech and other privilages solely due to owner/moderator generosity. This isn't a democracy. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- If your thread gets locked, suck it up. Even if it was locked at a whim. Even if it was just because the moderator doesn't like you. It's not your forum. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- You probably benefit from the forum more than it benefits from you. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

Again, just my personal opinion. And the above may sound fascist and harsh, but it really isn't. I think it makes a lot of sense for a forum owner who cares about the quality and integrity of their forum. By some magical process, this take-it-or-leave-it formula results in a top-notch forum I think (it sounds like Phil is already employing it, and if you ask me that's why this place is so great). If someone who likes causing problems has a complaint with the forum, that's a good thing. It means they're more likely to go somewhere else. Catering to them will only cause them to stay longer. The respectful members who have things in perspective and know they're owed nothing will naturally remain content and will stick around.

It's just simple forum darwinism. If you let members ruin your forum, people look for a better one. If you let moderators ruin your forum (not a problem here), people look for a better one. This forum is the better one people look for, and I really want us members to know our humble places so it can stay that way.

And lastly, I really would like Tony on the forum as well. Like I said I come here for the experts, and I don't like the idea of losing one of the best. Unfortunately the people who appreciate him and others like him most are typically not as vocal. For every member that drives Tony crazy, I'm sure there are five who admire and respect his knowledge and are thankful to have him.

That's another good thing about the guidelines above... they encourage the least valuable members to leave first. When the troublemakers are allowed to think they're entitled to something, usually it's the most valuable members you're more in danger of losing. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Just a couple pennies on the pile. Hope it isn't too redundant with what's already been said.

EDIT: Argh, I've written another novel. Sorry guys.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Mar. 23 2005,10:10)]And lastly, I really would like Tony on the forum as well. Like I said I come here for the experts, and I don't like the idea of losing one of the best. Unfortunately the people who appreciate him and others like him most are typically not as vocal. For every member that drives Tony crazy, I'm sure there are five who admire and respect his knowledge and are thankful to have him.
    I very recently said that "I detest people that make 1 word replies to a topic, or post things that echo previous posts..." In this case i am going to become that which I most dislike because I believe that this needs to be highlighted.

Tony, you are one of the best people on this forum. I personally will be extremely disappointed if you should no longer be a part of this community. Please do not let the rants and raves of a lunatic be the cause of your leaving this forum. You have so much knowledge to offer, and this forum will be so cheated without your presence.

PLEASE reconsider your decision to leave.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, remember when Shelley was upset to the point of quitting (College Life...)? Please don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phil for providing this forum for us. Thanks mods for doing your best to keep things under control.

Dyflam
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the support guys, and just to clarify, unless I missed someone, Sundoode was the only person banned from this forum over this "TF Armageddon".

If I confused you in my post by listing Sundoode's aliases, I apologize, so let me make it clear:

John/JRPower/Spectabalis33/Sundoode188/OneLasyKilobyte = all same person

any other people mentiond that were banned were done so for other reasons long ago. We don't ban very often at all. And this was by no means the biggest drama we have had to date...

OH, and the reasons you don't see stuff like this on other boards? because if you have a problem with us, we will listen to it and let it air out. this thread got out of hand, but notice, it's still around. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks all for your support. Now let's forget this fiasco and move on, and enjoy this wonderful forum.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey