What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another one bites the dust

• Thread starter ZAK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    space
I believe in second chances,except in this forum.You're right,if you give people a second chance and it always blows up in your face,then why do it??Like they say"It happens once,shame on you.It happens twice shame on me"or something like that
smile_n_32.gif
Now we have been fairly warned:NO SECOND CHANCES.And if you post something and you know it's wrong,or will cause a fight or whatever,then you have to suffer the concaquences(sp?)Anyways,I think you Mods are doing a fine job,so keep it up.Just one more thing,Andrew-Yesterday as I was reading this topic,I think you handled it very well!(You were the first Mod to post back,I think)And I think you were very proffessional,and funny,and you kept your cool,even tho it must have been hard cause some people here that were complaining were obviously just trying to bust your chain for the fun of it.Anyways,good for you,and to all the other Mods as well.I think you made the right decision
smile.gif
*Niki*(Trapper7)

Aww thanks Niki
smile.gif
My idea was simple. Talk it out. I'm sure if I haddn't been here (no other mods were active at the time) this thread could have gotten much worse. I can only imagine that being possible! But it seems every so often... Something like this (although this might be the worst since I've been here (3 years? ) ) happens. Hopefully it helps the members understand what the mods go through, every day, on every topic, in every post. And even outside. Some members contact us just to talk. They had a bad day, and want to vent. No problem. We are here to keep the board running smoothly, give some information... And be a friend. Remember. EVERYTHING can be fixed privately. The set of mods we have right now works out great. It seems at least one of us is here almost always, for anything anyone may need.
smile.gif

Take care all!!
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Mar. 23 2005,10:28)]Holy Moly.  I should have signed on last night.  What the heck is going on here?  All I am reading is a bunch of complaining balogna about a GIFT!!

For crying out loud people!  This forum is FREE!  I.E. YOU DON'T PAY FOR IT!  What kind of nerve must you have to complain about it?  

I have been a member here for almost three years, and a mod for quite a while.  I have yet to loose my cool, but I am getting dangerously close.  I, and the other mods/admins, bust my butt to keep this place running smoothly because I/we CARE about it.

And all you can do is blast us?  

If you have a legitimate gripe, fine.  I've seen them before.  I've had to appologize for them before.  

However, if you gripe, and are then told my more than one mod that you are wrong, then you are wrong.  Period.  End of story.  Drop it.  If you keep fighting it, you'll just be digging yourself even deeper.

On a better note, I do see some people here that have been spoken to speaking up in our defense.  That gives me some heart that at least some people can learn.  I wish everyone was so open to lessons.
I simply couldnt have put that better

Wow, I'm speechless...this thread. I've never seen anything like this in any other forums I've been to. Let's hope we never see it again, right? And for the most part, I agree with everything the mods have said, those who were banned were banned for good reasons in my opinion. This thread should have never been made, like 6 members have been banned/left and one(two?) mods have left. There has been nothing but loss in this thread. Let's hope there aren't any more "TF Armgeddon" threads in the future. Though it'll probably happen again sooner or later. What we all need to do is thank the mods for all their hard work ESPECIALLY the owner of the forum. Some people just don't know how to appreciate things like this.

To all the mods - Thanks!
To the owner - You rock for making possibly the best CP forum on the net and thanks for not shutting it down!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Mar. 23 2005,3:12)]Let's hope there aren't any more "TF Armgeddon" threads in the future. Though it'll probably happen again sooner or later.
That's what happens when you don't perform occasional controlled burns!
smile.gif

Oh.My.God. I am just speechless.
I remember this froum from last August, everything was perfect then, there was a word association game which I loved and so did quite a few other people, there was very little arguments or fights.
But after November this froum started becoming rampant with arguments.
And then this.
I am sooooo sad this has happened.
smile_h_32.gif

I came home from school and thought: great, easter break, Im going on the internet to catch up on the forum
and then I see this.
confused.gif
smile_h_32.gif

I am shocked and utterly disgusted how some of the people on here attacked the moderators and staff, I agree some of them should allow us more freedom to have fun but this is too far. simple as that.
Without moderators, this forum would be nothing. Without Phil, this forum would be nothing. I think there should be a compromise about game threads, but whatever the decision is, I will stand by that and will not complain any further.
I highly respect the moderators on here and consider some of them my friends, they do their best for the forum but people like John, Spec, whatever he calls himself now, just throw it back in their face.

Starman,
Very well said.

I'm probably going to regret asking this question but her goes. I just read the wish corrupter game to find the reason it was locked and I still don't really know why? Can one of the mods fill me in on this? It seems sort of pointless but that game seemed harmless none the less.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (phlitrapguy @ Mar. 22 2005,6:03)]These forums were intended as a resource for our customers and anyone on the internet that had a curiosity about carnivorous plants... not a friggin' play ground!

This is NOT romper room...

This is NOT day care...

This is NOT where you go to spend your time filling up MY hard drives with USELESS crap about adding words to a sentence, bumping topics, who's on top .. games... useless polls etc.

At some point, we as moderators and *I* as the owner of the board have to put forth some rules. The rules are basic... they are not even really rules! 1) Post with respect - 2) don't be a fool!

That's pretty much my rule book... and if you look at what the moderators have done .. they've deleted disrespectful posts (whether towards another member, towards my company, or my forums). And they sometimes (not often) delete the ignorant childish crap that wastes time and disk space.

If you want a forum to bounce up and down in like a 2 year old and be completely idiotic, start your own. This is not the place.

It is, however, a place for carnivorous plant discussions -- or sometimes just discussions about life, chatter about friendships, challenges we face as people, thoughs on the world... or whatever... but GROW UP!!!
Did you happen to read this whole thread? I think it was touched on a few times. But I will refer you to Phils first responce.
Hope that helps,
Andrew

Chrono...I think it was locked because it was very similar to another thread that was already in progress.  So it was kinda redundant.  And I believe Tony stated that when he locked it.  I didn't pay that much attention to it to tell you the truth.  I just remember reading something about there being two of the same thread and he was locking it.  Didn't seem like a big deal to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We already did this wish thing once or twice.

Oi...I tend to read things too fast, sorry Andy, but thanks for pointing it out. I think I got it now, thanks PAK. I don't normally read those threads very often so I didn't know it was already done before.

Crap, i looked at this thread for the first time because i thought it was about the song before!

**** I can't believe some of these people are complaining about something people gave to them which now (at least for me) is my main source of information. These nice mods take time out of their daily lives to keep this place under control because they don't want people getting verbally abused, insulted, badmouthed, etc. And you complain about it?!

This reminds me of the IDIOTS who went to Alpine Meadows ski resort after a heavy snowfall. There was an avalanche danger so they closed the ski area, and the road leading to it. They put of road barriers, and warning signs. Six people went around all that, and went in to the ski area. 4 of them were killed in an avalanche, and the remaining two sued, and won.

They way some of you behave on the forum is similar to the way those guys behaved, and i can frankly say, i'm disappointed.

OMG TunaSuprise are you serious?!?!?And they actually WON???That's insane! It's like when a burgler was trying to break into a house,and he went onto the roof and fell through the glass and landed on a knife in the kitchen and cut his leg pretty bad with it,and then HE sued the house owner and the burgler won!!! This world amazes me sometimes.*Niki*

that happened in my school. someone tried to break though a barb wire lined fence. the robber cut his leg, sued the school and won.

BTW how did you guys get Sundoodes parents phone number?I can't remember,but did we have to enter our phone number when we signed up?Just curious.And how old was Sundoode anyways?I will understand if you can't answer that question for privacy reasons
smile.gif
*Niki(Trapper7)

He gave it to us.

Hey Guys ---

Let me clarify something that was said out of rage.

For one, I don't care if you post things about word association, games, or whatever...

There is a "General" forum for just that sort of posting.

I PERSONALLY don't really care.

However, if a thread gets too big.. it affects the performanc e of the server and database in some ways. It's only happened once or twice... and we shut down the thread. For nothing other than to better the performance of the forums.

I, at one point, saw the forums getting slow and made a decision on what threads should go in order to increase performance. It quite likely could have been any number of those "fun" threads mentioned earlier... I don't recall.

I think you will have to admit... that we don't lock much.. and we delete almost nothing.

That being said -- do what you want... just make it respectful.. and if it gets out of hand, expect one of us to lock it or remove it if it's degrading performance in *ANY* way.

-Phil

New battle of the pics thread comin' right up.

Phil, you do NOT have to justify ANYTHING to anyone here. Most of us are greatfull to you for providing us this forum at all. Please do not feel like you have to give a reason for anything. I for one am just glad that you provide us with a place where we can share our common interest. Some people mistake your generosty as a "right"... thats their problem, not yours. You do not have to justify anything to me. If a mod says "No" then that means no.. period. Its unfortunate that others dont understand that concept. I am sorry that you even had to become involved in this.

As a longtime member of this forum, and a close personal friend to many of the mods, I feel that this whole situation could and SHOULD have been avoided by a simple level of respect that unfortunately some do not seem to posess.

If you needed to vent on someone who pulled your chain, then by all means have your fun in the sun!! I for one will never look down on you for that. People all have their limits. God knows that I have more than once deleted a post against members for things I dont like.. including more than one against Spec.

This is YOUR forum, you do not owe anyone anything for what you felt necessary to say.

Cheers
Steve

Yeesh, I just clicked on this thread for the first time just now. I admit I haven't read every page, but a few thoughts (if anyone cares
smile.gif
)...

This is the best forum I'm currently on. In most forums I've visited in the past, no matter the subject, it always seems like the newcomers/inexperienced/children/whatever make up the majority of the forum, and the serious people with a lifetime of experience behind them are few and far between. Since there are so few experts to go around, disinformation spreads like wildfire as people eagerly parrot what they've heard and read (and never tried) to answer each other's questions... the blind leading the blind.

This is the only forum I've been on where the ratio is completely flipped around. More experts than you can shake a stick at and real tried-and-tested information in spades. It's great. When I join one of those other forums knowing little about whatever hobby it is, I find my knowledge exceeds that of the general membership within a few months, and I end up having to search everywhere online for answers to my advanced questions. I started here almost a year ago knowing very little, and still feel like I know very little compared to most of the people here. And that means everything.

I also don't see the big deal with some of the "inflammatory" threads here... because frankly they're incredibly tame compared to some of the other forums I just can't stomach anymore. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I've never seen drama here anywhere near as severe as what's commonplace on other forums. And I think somehow the aforementioned ratio is the reason for this.

Anyway... regarding running the forum. I can't speak for the owner and moderators, but this is how I think any good forum should be run:

-- As people have said, the forum is a gift. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- The forum is a private endeavor, and members are entitled to nothing whatsoever. The owner/moderators listen to your suggestions and complaints because they're being generous, not because you're entitled to be heard. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- You have free speech and other privilages solely due to owner/moderator generosity. This isn't a democracy. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- If your thread gets locked, suck it up. Even if it was locked at a whim. Even if it was just because the moderator doesn't like you. It's not your forum. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

-- You probably benefit from the forum more than it benefits from you. You're welcome to go somewhere else.

Again, just my personal opinion. And the above may sound fascist and harsh, but it really isn't. I think it makes a lot of sense for a forum owner who cares about the quality and integrity of their forum. By some magical process, this take-it-or-leave-it formula results in a top-notch forum I think (it sounds like Phil is already employing it, and if you ask me that's why this place is so great). If someone who likes causing problems has a complaint with the forum, that's a good thing. It means they're more likely to go somewhere else. Catering to them will only cause them to stay longer. The respectful members who have things in perspective and know they're owed nothing will naturally remain content and will stick around.

It's just simple forum darwinism. If you let members ruin your forum, people look for a better one. If you let moderators ruin your forum (not a problem here), people look for a better one. This forum is the better one people look for, and I really want us members to know our humble places so it can stay that way.

And lastly, I really would like Tony on the forum as well. Like I said I come here for the experts, and I don't like the idea of losing one of the best. Unfortunately the people who appreciate him and others like him most are typically not as vocal. For every member that drives Tony crazy, I'm sure there are five who admire and respect his knowledge and are thankful to have him.

That's another good thing about the guidelines above... they encourage the least valuable members to leave first. When the troublemakers are allowed to think they're entitled to something, usually it's the most valuable members you're more in danger of losing.
smile_h_32.gif

Just a couple pennies on the pile. Hope it isn't too redundant with what's already been said.

EDIT: Argh, I've written another novel. Sorry guys.

Back