What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bp amaco expolsion

• Thread starter ZAK
  • Start date
Local news

Our ERT's are on the way. It shook my office. I climbed to the top of one of the units. This is crazy!

Can't bring up the page but I would love to see the video tape (just on the bases of the explosion, I'm not weird). Too bad about all the people. Do you know what happened? Was their a fire or were the gas canisters fuilled up all the way? (The force of the explosion would have put the fire out).

Never mind I found it a cnn.com Makes sense that it wa in Florida

OOPs. I must have clicked the wrong link on cnn when I searched. Well now I can't find it. Unfortunatly old slow comp. so my original questions still stand.

GOOGLE SEARCH Channel 13 Houston

Wow, y'know it's amazing that there aren't that many explosions at places like that, concidering what they deal with. Did they find the cause?? Maybe it was a terrorist attack!

Ooooo this is my 500th post!

Enjoy the spike in gasoline prices that will happen after this incident!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 23 2005,9:20)]Enjoy the spike in gasoline prices that will happen after this incident!  
smile.gif
Even if the amount of gasoline isn't significant, the consumers don't know. So it's a license to add to the price. Have you noticed that the response time to the light sweet crude is shorter when the price goes up, as opposed to when it drops? It's like bills - they are always on time. Checks run late.
smile_l_32.gif

That's awful.  Unfortunately, the addiction to cheap gasoline kills people, places, and things.

I read a book a year or two ago about an even larger disaster that happened in Texas City right after WW II.  It was ammonium nitrate, not gasoline, but we're pretty addicted to that stuff too.  The book is City on Fire, by Bill Minutaglio.  Even though he is close to the Bush Dynasty, he's pretty hard on the big money interests that create situations like Texas City.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 24 2005,6:51)]I read a book a year or two ago about an even larger disaster that happened in Texas City right after WW II.  It was ammonium nitrate, not gasoline, but we're pretty addicted to that stuff too.  
That happened in 1947 with a ship carrying fertalizer. It began to smolder so the dock workers inundated it with water. Destoyed half of Texas City.
History of Disaster

It's funny you bring that up. I work at Sterling Chemicals, which is the old Monsanto site. In other words I work on the very site in which the explosion in 1947 occured. Those docks are now the very same docks I see on a daily basis.

At any rate at BP there are 14 confirmed loss of life, so far. Several more in critical, some with burns over 90% of their body. There is a team coming in today totry to determine cause, but that can take up to a year. The F.B.I. has come and gone so I believe at this point terrorism has been ruled out. The unit produced an octain enhancer, so it is directly related to gas. Also that site produces 3% of the U.S. gasoline on a daily basis.

ZAK...I've been seeing coverage of it on the news, both national and local. I am so sorry for your community.
smile_h_32.gif
That's a terrible tragedy. A lot of lives were lost and there will be a lot of related hardship in your area.

My sympathy goes out to all the friends and family of those who died...

smile_h_32.gif

At least I wasn't in Houston this time. Glad to know your okay, Zak. I am still trying to contact the people I know over at the refinery. I think I would have heard from someone by now, but they probably are pretty busy right now.

Hey, Zak keep your head down, dude!

rick

Thank's Rick,

Let me know if when you get ahold of you're contacts there. I believe most of the fatalities were contractors. The unit was on a shutdown so there were alot more people in the area than usual.

I heard about it also. Horrible. The newstation I was listening too said somthing about a gas leak but you can never know.

Back