What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T rex soft tissue found!

• Thread starter ALLOSAURZ
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Mar. 25 2005,1:05)]while I doubt that it can be cloned, it would be a sight...

and as far as what we would do if it got lose?  I suppose an M1 could not only survive a munching, but would be far more than powerful enough to put it down should the need arise, that being said, you could probably take one down with any big game weapon.  I just like the thought of an M1's armor wrapped around me if I was in the presence of it.  

lol, wouldn't it be funny if it had the personality of a puppy though.
ive got several rifles that could bring down a T Rex but the question is when i got close enough for the bullet to do the job would i be able to stop shaking long enough to put the bullet in the right place?

And some of youn guys are having trouble with squirrles messing up your CP's. JUst imagine walking out your back door some morning and seeing a full grown T Rex munching on them.
laugh.gif

It would be awesome indeed, as far as "ethics", "should we" it's just people trying to put some lofty religious bent into science where it doesn't belong. I also know a lot of punk rockers who are anti-cloning too, and they don't even know what it is!

Anyway, I doubt we'll ever get to see a T rex, they were never able (that I know of) to clone that Mammoth they found in russia a few years ago on the discovery channel. They had it all planned out:
female egg from elephant > remove DNA strand
insert mammoth DNA strand>fertilize with elephant DNA
f1=mammoth/elephant hybrid
repeat similar procedures on hybrid offspring until a "pure" creature was attained.
But this was only their theory, and hasn't happened yet and may not even be possible.

AWSOME! I love stuff like that.
smile.gif
Thanks! That's really amazing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Mar. 25 2005,4:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 25 2005,3:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Mar. 25 2005,1:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 25 2005,1:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Mar. 24 2005,6:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 24 2005,6:34)]sweet... but how do you suppose you clone it? you need a surregate mot...ehhh.... egg (that's IF they are egg-layers.
I doubt a croc egg would be good for a t-rex lol.
Actually they would probably grow it in vitro sort of like tissue culturing. However that's a big if as the DNA would be so degraded and full of holes that it is highly unlikely cloning of fresh tissue samples today is still a highly uncertain process let alone DNA that is 70 million years old.
TISSUE CULTURE?
confused.gif
What, put a few cells in a petri dish filled with nutrients and a baby T-rex grows out? I don't think so. Dude, if you're thinking about tissue culture then you got too many plants in your head...
smile_m_32.gif

And I doubt after all these years of evoltuion that there would be any animal genetically close enough to clone aT-rex, let alone the uncertainty of cloning itself...
You missed my point. I was trying to say similar to tissue culture it is done all the time with people who can't have kids naturally hence the term <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=test tube" onmouseover="window.status='test tube'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">test tube</a> baby. That is what I was trying to say. I know it's impossible to tissue culture any animal from cells but it is possible to get embryos started in vitro.
Ah right, in vitro. But then that comes back to the question of where you would put in after that...
smile_m_32.gif
Which also brings up the point of why I am not a scientist.I don't have the slightest clue of where you'd stick a developing tyrannosaur embryo.
smile_m_32.gif
into a tyrannosaurus egg. and therein, your dilemma. :p

It's a fun fantasy to think a T-rex could actually be raised to adulthood. I don't think containment would be a problem...like Dr. Horner, I believe they were not the best hunters, and were most likely scavengers. It would probably require a steady diet of a few dead, somewhat decomposed cows a week.

But realistically, look at the tremendous info already gained by studying the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow, and how it compared to an ostrich. Certainly further research will reveal new facts on their metabolism, growth rate, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] First-they need to bring back the passenger pigeon etc. etc.
YES! and carolina parakeets! i want some parakeets to come to my birdfeeders! lol.

on another note... AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes! sheesh!

Well we have not perfected cloning yet. When we do we can probibly cross-clone. I hope I get to work on that. It would be awesome.

Thinak about it. We could get seed from S. purp. remove the anthrocynan gene and yes. Everyone can get that plant. Also we would be able to "see" the ancient ancestors of Sarrs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]YES! and carolina parakeets

its too late for that species, as well as the passenger pigeon. As for the find, its completely contrary to how fossilization is supposed to happen. Im awaiting confirmation from a seperate sorce before i jump to any conclusions

how do you know? maybe there's one frozen somewhere :p
or maybe in a swamp somewhere below all the CPs....
like the rocky mountain locust. some of them were found frozen in a mountain and they were able to extract DNA.

yup, that's what we need. more bugs.....

because there are none frozen

none have been found... that doesn't mean there aren't any frozen/preserved in acidic bogs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Mar. 25 2005,8:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]YES! and carolina parakeets

its too late for that species, as well as the passenger pigeon. As for the find, its completely contrary to how fossilization is supposed to happen. Im awaiting confirmation from a seperate sorce before i jump to any conclusions
i googled it and numerous other scientific news channels are covering it. scientific american being one of them.

All I can say is wow. That is absolutly amazing!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

we got a news release from the Museum of the Rockies where Horner works. im pretty sure its real but i have to admitt i looked at the calendar to make sure it wasnt April 1 when i read the story. as far as it not being how fossilization works i fully agree but theres a first time for everything. anyways time will tell if its true but i will remain skeptical for now as im having a hard time wrapping my brain around something like this being preserved for 70 million years.

Back