What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
Final Words on this:

As I have already stated: We are not doing the Creation Evolution thread here again. PM it. I realize this is not a 'scientific' debate, but challenges the merits of each viewpoint, close enough. NO More.

(NOTE: THis is the second time I have said to drop it in this topic.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 02 2005,6:18)]lol. it's not that. I understand most other girls.
Man, you understand girls? I've been dating for 16 years, and was married (still am legaly) for ten, and I'm still cluless.

You shoud write a book
smile_n_32.gif

What so hard to understand about girls?
biggrin.gif

Females= logic (in most cases)
Male = obtuse (think we know it all.)
FTG, I think you are a breath of fresh air personally. The woman I married, thinks just like ya, and I like it!! Independant, self sufficient (she jes' keeps me 'cause she thinks I'm cute) *good thing she's blind!*, and does her own taxes! And, as another lady recently found out, don't mess with the tigress! LOL!

LOL, thanks Bugweed.

Already PMed SS and Aliciae to continue the debate in reply to their posts.. if anybody else wants to say anything else about it to me, PM or IM me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZAK @ April 04 2005,11:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 02 2005,6:18)]lol. it's not that. I understand most other girls.
Man, you understand girls? I've been dating for  16 years, and was married (still am legaly) for ten, and I'm still cluless.

You shoud write a book  
smile_n_32.gif
You write the book, I will buy it! I try to understand but woman are from Mars and I am from Pluto.

Okay, first temptation is to tell you women are not that hard to understand... then I think back to my ex-husband and even after I told him point blank what I wanted he didn't get it, still doesn't... which has me thinking that I will never understand men. (I would share those words of wisdom with you men but there is a small portion of it that may not be fit for all ages)

I do find it interesting that the topic of gaming and obesity have come up in this thread along with parenting... eerily ironic may be a better term than interesting now that I think about it.

My marraige failed due to gaming, only so much being ignored to the point of standing beside someone yelling their name without getting a response that a girl can take before she moves on. Of course he did this before we were married too so I probably should have seen it comming sooner. Oddly enough it wasn't the gamer that gained the weight. That was me. Depression combined with what has recently been diagnosed as PCOS have certainly packed on the pounds in the years since my daughter was born, along with a myriad of other health complications, some are treatable, others never will be. All of this has resulted in the mother of all wake-up calls for me... Congrats Ram on your goal to better health, I wish you every success. I have my own very similar goals though mine out of neccesity will take longer.

As for the parenting issue, that also has been a topic on my mind very frequently recently, with my daughter spending the next 4 months in Florida with her father and his insistance on including his grilfriend in everything they do after giving me reason after reason that he assumed would set my mind at ease but instead drove home the point that this woman, who has a child of her own, is no mother, rather she is a woman who happened to bear a child. But that is another rant that really has no place here... and would probably take more room than these forums have available.

Even at age 4 my daughter, though stubborn and opinionated beyond even what I am capable of, knows that she has every right to voice her opinions and express her beliefs, she also knows that no matter what she has to say, I will listen and take her postion into account. On the other hand she also understands that there are times when Mommy is not to be questioned, even if her first instinct is to rebel and make me prove my point. Not because I don't love her, or trust her, or respect her, rather simply because I am her parent. I am older, I have had alot more exerience with life as a whole and because as I have told her many times already, I was a child once too.

The obvious exceptions of previously mentioned bad parents (not everyone is or is capable of being a good parent) aside; If there is one peice of advice I can give to the teens that have been reading and arguing in this thread it is this:

You're parents were someones child once too, and if you believe it or not they do remember what that was like, they also understand in ways that you can't possibly yet understand the reasons why parents do what parents do. There is nothing that you can do that your parents haven't done already, no way you can "rebel", "stand up for yourself", "demand respect" or in some of the cases I have seen mentioned here "prove that you are smarter than they are" that they haven't already tired themselves. You are not breaking new ground, you are not teaching them a lesson, and my sincerest wish is that some day you grow up to have children of your own who are exactly like you... just like your parents did... because until you do, you will never understand.

In the mean time they do what they do and have their reasons for doing them because they are your parents, unjust in your opinion or not, it is that way, simply because they said so. If you want them to treat you like an adult act like one. They owe you no explaination, and until you realize and accept that, all you are doing is proving that you are no where near as "grown up" and "adult" as you like to think you are.

I'll be gosh-darned!

A round of applause for Maehem, you said what I meant but with a touch of sensitivity that I am un-capable of. From what you have posted I would assume you are a good parent. Whether it means anything or not, I give that credit to very few that I have not witnessed in action. I am a 25 yr old with an 8 yr old child, I know what parents are really like at my age and I remember very clearly what it was to be a kid. Kids won't understand until they are there that most all adults are all too familiar with what it's like to be young and frequently reflect upon such things. Afterall there is a reason for the age old saying:

"IF I ONLY KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW"!

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 09 2005,12:01)]"IF I ONLY KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW"!
Amen, brother! Add wisdom to 121 jiggawatts and a flux capacitor, and maybe a few things can be corrected.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 09 2005,6:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 09 2005,12:01)]"IF I ONLY KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW"!
Amen, brother! Add wisdom to 121 jiggawatts and a flux capacitor, and maybe a few things can be corrected.
Live, learn, forget, and repeat.

Well my parants and grandparants always told me that it is very important to do at school, because getting a job as a binman which is one of th eonly job that demands no qualifications is considered a family disgrace in Bosnia.
As a result I have always made an effort in school and always did my best, but when I didnt do well enough for their expectations I got punished, which made me very upset and frustrated because I put 100% effort into that test and now I was being punished for it.
You see, I have seen kids who failed their exams as a result of messing around in school and not caring about their work, so I know how important it is to do well in school, so Im kinda fed up with ever adult here telling me I know nothing.

Well, I kinda agree with Starman... I mean, sure, my parents know more than I do.... but that doesn't mean they know everything. They may punish me for doing badly in a test or sth, but they don't really take into account I put all my efforts into it and got a bad grade despite of it... So I guess its kinda like a balance thing... we kids need to learn how to listen to and understand our parents, but our parents need to learn how to listen to and understand us.
As for doing well in school, education has always been a priority thing in my family... the grades you get today, and the things you learn are gonna determine who you will become and where you will go in your life... so I guess I always keep that in mind when I'm studying... makes me not wanna be a slacker.

Aliciae:;):

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I mean, sure, my parents know more than I do.... but that doesn't mean they know everything.

Exactly my point. And it's not just me claiming my grandparents think they know everything and think I know nothing, they have actually SAID it, so it's not just me. I'm repeatedly told I know absolutely nothing about life just because I'm younger than them, and they really do act like they think they know everything about everything and don't even try to listen to me or hear me out. It's all about them. And they look down their noses at everyone who does anything different than them, including me. They do not have the ability to consider that the whole world doesn't revolve around their opinions and that just because somebody else thinks different and does different doesn't make that person wrong and in need of change. They also don't have the ability to accept another person for who they are instead of looking down on them and shooting down everything that person believes, thinks, says and does.

Something's very wrong when narrow-minded people think it's other people who have to be learning something.  Unfortunately, it's pretty common.

I remember one day when I was ~20 and my father heard some pretty dissonant music I was listening too and said he didn't like it.  But he added he was glad I did because music meant a lot to him and he was glad it meant a lot to me.  He said it didn't matter that we didn't like the same thing.  I learned a lot about tolerance that way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maehem @ April 08 2005,4:06)]The obvious exceptions of previously mentioned bad parents (not everyone is or is capable of being a good parent) aside;

Just thought I would put that back up since it seems that a few may have missed it........

Parents SHOULD always tell their kids why they tell them to do something. They should be honest too. There is nothing I hate more than lies (white lies are lies too...). They should always tell us why because otherwise we don't learn from our mistakes. We just do things to avoid punishment and the moment that you take away that punishment (since they don't know WHY they're not supposed to do what they're doing or why they're punishing them) they just turn around and do whatever it is they were doing. If my mom tells me why, I won't do it (if it's a good reason... getting dicipline just for the sake of dicipline is retarded). If she doesn't tell me why, I'll keep doing it whenever I can because I don't understand why i'm not supposed to do it.

Parents just demanding blind trust and mute kids who can't think for themselves just create ignorant kids.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that say teens who used to be very diciplined and stuff turn out bad? for example I took construction tech. one year. The guys who smoked and were all the "bad crowd" said (I don't know how but the subject of how they were diciplined came up :p) that when they were little their parents were like those that demanded blind followers.
now... most of the time I am well behaved and stuff, but if I'm going to be punished I deserve to know why.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Parents SHOULD always tell their kids why they tell them to do something. They should be honest too. There is nothing I hate more than lies (white lies are lies too...). They should always tell us why because otherwise we don't learn from our mistakes.

Noooo bad idea.

"daddy, where do babies come from?"
"why cant i come in your room when its locked but you and mom are in it?''
What did saddam hussane do that was so bad?'

{dioloh between perent who has caught a kid red hended doing drugs}
Kid:"why not smoke pot? whats wrong with it?!"
parent"its bad for your health and social life"
"no its not, let me see your evedince?!"
"because i said so"
"NO ITS NOT U DONT HAVE ENY EVEDENCE UR LYING> OMG I HATE U!!!"---
They dont beleive the parent but was punished- r u suggesting they had no right to do so ?

right lot of sence that approch makes in certain cases

I still have to disagree with Alpha.
I will reinterate my statement from page whatever. A child is no-one to demand ANYTHING from me. Not explanations, reasons, nothing. Obviously telling you what you did wrong is needed for a child to learn, but if I say don't do blah, blah, blah......then I expect you to listen because I said so. It does not breed mindless children, it breeds children who understand that you do not expect anything of superiors. As I said before NOBODY is goin to explain them selves because you "feel" it is your right to know. Not your boss, not a stranger, not a cop, NO-ONE! One day when you are the superior then you may make decisions that are not up to others to argue or demand explanations of. It is the way it is. Whether or not the new generation all feel this way makes no difference, the superiors will always make decisions and demand that you obey and do it in a timely and efficient manner. It is all a life lesson from day one about what your place in the world is.

Joe

There's a time and a place for an explanation. Sometimes a child will just not be able to relate to something until they ARE older. And we are all different. What works for one kid, won't work for another. Sometimes there are just no-win situations. I have seen some children make their parents look like geniuses, just because they are naturally compliant. I have also seen kids, within that same family, look like incompetents. They always say to oick and choose the battles wisely, but hey, if you knew which ones beforehand were going to be disasters....

Joe, I kinda agree with you, kinda don't. It is true that children have to respect their parents opinions and orders and stuff, and it's also VERY true that they should be taught not to expect any kind of explanations from their superiors, cuz if not, well... I can easily see them getting fired out of jobs, kicked out of schools, etc.
But it is also true that there comes a point in a life when a direct order just doesn't do it. If my father says "You can't go to X" I want to know why not. It's part of learning. Seeing what they see and listening to their reasons helps you understand why they're telling you these things. It's not about expecting things from them, it's about growing up. You need to know the why of these things so you can later know what to do when it's your kid, or when you don't have your parents around anymore.

Alicia

Back