What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cps

Whenever I repot a Drosera they always seem a little stressed for a few days or so. Just give them time.

ok, cool, another qestion, so that im prepared, how fast do these guys grow?

Oh boy, another pun jokster.

Sorry if I sounded like a ****, I have been getting bothered by someone on another forum that won't do anything for himself and just emails me constantly for answers when a simle Google would answer it for him.

Good Luck
Joe

is it me Joe??
smile_n_32.gif

anyways 'dews do stress a bit after being transplanted give them some time and good light and they will be fine. as to speed of growth. depends. if the Sarrs are mature divisions(the only type of Sarr im familiar with) than they add size fast coming out of dormancy. the Utrics youve got are weeds, granted nice weeds. they can cover a 3 inch pot in under 3 months.

sry, bout the pun, i acutally dont use them that much, i just stumbled apon that "due" when writeing the post and thought "hmm how intresting" anyway, i have them under good light and keeping them moist, ill tell u how i turn out.

CNCReefer...I agree about the humidity thing. Tanks are not required for drosera. I have quite a few sundews out in the open on shelving and they do fine. I just have a number of tanks and like to use them. And the humidity in there is usually higher. Most dews can be grown in a number of different locations with consideration to sunlight, air circulation and acclimation. A drafty area would dry the "dew" up faster. My personal experience has been that D. adelae does better in a tank.

I have my D. adelae in my greenhouse separate from all the other 'dews. I don't think it would like the direct sun hitting it.
By the way, the D. adelae is making it's own new plants on the leaves
smile_n_32.gif

true PAK, but D. adelae is usually the exception in Drosera rather than the rule. i grow my Drosera in open trays in exteamly low humidity(i technically live in a desert) and they do great. for most Drosera excellent light and good air flow are much more important than humidity. there are exceptions, D. adelae being a well known one.

i have my drosera in trays, in my basement where theres no humidity and i hope they do ok. one thing im wondering is how fast the sundew seedlings will grow, i know it depends on the species, but the name escapes me at this time, any way i got some seeds out of a seed pod on a dew at school and i spread them about a cp mix and put a little dome over it to keep the humidity. so far tow have germinated and they seem to be puting on their second set of leaves, but i cant tell cuz their tiny, how long on average do dews take to grow to adult size?

The quickest I've seen (SO far, haven't been at this too too long) something that you could actually recognize is about 7 months, from seeds, and I don't give mine as much light as they prolly would like even
biggrin.gif

But some of them seem to take for EVER, so don't puth the magnifying glass away just yet

I have always grown d. adelae in full sun. The tentacles turned red and all that, and the dew was thick. D. schizandra on the other hand, will die IMMEDIATELY if placed in full sun. I do not understand the problem everyone has with growing d. adelae. Can't water d. schizandra from the top, or get any water on the leaves. They would be dead before you know it! Adelae sundew loves shade to bright light, to full sun. Depends on the individual plant I imagine.

I had my D. adelae outside, western exposure, all Summer and Fall. It did fine, except for that aphid infestation....

Yeah...I had an adelae at the office in a tank in a west window...got full sun all afternoon and it was a gorgeous bronzy red. Lovely plant...til co-workers forgot to water it while I was away for a few days.
smile_h_32.gif

I know you don't have to keep drosera in a tank. I have quite a few in trays out on shelves myself. I use both methods. Depends on the plant as to who goes where. But I sure never had any success with adelae in full sun.
confused.gif

well, either way my two dew seedlings seem to be doing ok, but i dont have a magifying glass or anything like that so i have to really strain the eyse to see if their doing ok. i just removed the cover to their dome the other day.

Back