What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cps

i just got some cps in the mail today, ther in plastic baggies with ther root ball and most of ther leafs wraped up in a wet paper towel, i know they cant stay in ther olong, so i need to know how to care for them and not stress them to death! the follewing is a list of the cps i got (im a newbie and this is the first time ive gotten cps in the mail!) plz give me full planting and care detals on all these plants if possible, thanks.

v.livida

s.flava x purpurea

u.sanderonii

s.flava

d.burrnannii

d.erikoniae x pulcheia

ps. do thes plants have common names?

p.p.s. can u guys tell me a little about these plants also?

Dude (or chick),
You do this kind of thing FIRST (1) then buy the plants man. I would honestly love to help ya man, but Google, Google, GOOGLE. Gotta help yourself first.
BTW, some people get really irritated when you just want them to tell you when they personally spent many a night reading, and reading, and reading. Getting in trouble with the spouse for bein up late and not paying enough attention because your researching a plant you want. (Happens frequently to me)

Sorry man, now its your turn. Maybe someone will give you an answer.

Did you buy them at PFT?

Joe

i think you mean U. Livida, lol those all seem pretty easy, you could probably get away with pure peat for soil, not tons of light, but lots of it, here is the info:
U. livida- practically a weed, jeremy has it growing in his water trays at his greenhouse! likes it b=very wet,and pure peat would prolly work, although sand would help
S. flava x purpurea- very common sarracenia hybrid, although still very beautifull, lots of light, pure peat should work, very easy to grow
U. sandersonii- yet another weed utric, cool bunny shaped flowers, practically the same as U. livida
S. flava- very hardy sarracenia, also very beautiful flowers alot, very easy peat/perlite/sand mixture would prolly be best however pure peat would also work once more, pitchers can get to 3' when full grown
D. burmanii- very easy drosera, possibly the easiest, excluding capensis and splathulata flowers often and doesnt get very big peat/sand mix would be best, my ssundews dont like direct sunlight, but alot of growers' sundews do
D. ericksonia x pulchella (sp?)- ask steve, BigCarnivoreKid
common names:
U. livida- ?
S. flava x purp- S. catersbaei (sp?)
U. sandersonii
S. flava -yellow pitcher plant
D. burmanii - ?
D. ericksonia x pulchella (sp?)- ?
sorry not much of a help on the names, all the info is based on my plant experiences

U. livida likes peat or peat and sand.

U. sandersonii (the angry bunny rabbit flowered bladderwort
smile_n_32.gif
) will grow in/on most any CP mix, i have it in peat/sand and LFS, it doesnt really care what its in.

all the Drosera, a peat sand mix will work

Sarrs plant in peat or peat and sand

Thanks guys, make me look like a butthole.
smile_m_32.gif

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ Mar. 26 2005,12:16)]Thanks guys, make me look like a butthole.
smile_m_32.gif

Joe
lol I dont mind others benefiting form my knowledge on the plants, and im sure not alot of other people do, I guess im doing what tony would have done

I do see where Joe is coming from, but I'm happy z5guy didn't order an N. rajah and then ask how to care for it! I'm sure you will have pot fulls of plants in a few weeks time z5guy!

really? so these plants are pretty much newbie proof? im happy to here this, ur all life savers!

p.s. seeing its just begining to look like spring, im thinking i should keep them inside right? one more thing, r any of them cold hardy to zone 5/6?

Sometimes Sarrs are and some Droseras - I don't know what ones except S. purpurea grows on the chilly North East coast.

Joe

fully hardy Sarrs are:
S.purpurea subsp. purpurea(NOT subsp. venosa), S.oreophila, S.rubra subsp. jonesii and S.flava(it survives fine here in the U.K outside all year, but it may not survive in very cold climates)

so, is there any specific planting instructions? or just make a whole in the mix and then plop it in or wat? im guessing i want to have these guys indoors under lights right?

Plastic pots are good. They tend to hold the water in better...less evaporation. Just fill your pot with your mix....peat...peat/sand....long-fibered sphagnum moss. Make a hole and gently put the root ball in. Then fill in around it. Gently pack the soil down but not tooooo tighly. Water them with PURE water which will settle the soil down around the roots.

The Sarracenia can be put outside. However, if they have been grown indoors, it might be a good idea to ease them into outdoor conditions slowly so they aren't shocked by sudden evironmental changes. Most Sarracenia have been dormant and are just now breaking dormancy. If yours are "new" plants out of tissue culture (propagation), then you need to gradually introduce them outside into full sun.

Sundews can be grown outside too but you need to keep the humidity high. I grow my 'dew in tanks or on shelves under lights indoors.

For more specific instructions check out the different forums dedicated to each genus.

Good luck and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
biggrin.gif

Suzanne/PAK

thanks, ive been tryin to get more info from the sender, but no luck, i will see how i fare on my own.

lol sorry about that I have just been so busy I did email you a general care sheet and what everyone here has said is great. Don't sweet it I can always send you more.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

thanks, got ur e-mail, ill be potin them today, wish me luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Sundews can be grown outside too but you need to keep the humidity high.
Humidity is overrated.
I have my sundews growing outside in trays with about 1 inch of water in them and sometimes the relative humidity drops to 25 percent, and the 'dews are all dewey and happy
smile_n_32.gif
I also have some highlander neps out there too and they're happy and growing new pitchers.
When the humidity gets that low I mist the neps 3 or 4 times a day. I don't bother misting the 'dews though.

light is the key factor in dew production.

Absolutely correct, JLAP!

potted them yesterday, they all seem fine, but a bit razzled, ive notice the dews dont have any dew, thats due (pun intened) to stress from shipping, right?

Back