What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider things...

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, I have recently found that there are these spider things all over my green house. I don't see any spider webs... I generally see these guys running all over plants, trays, the table, the ground... everywhere. They move really really fast! and are very easy to sqwash. Also they are pretty small... This picture was taken with this guy sitting on the brim of the plastic tray that my plants sit in... I'd say he is about the size of 1/16th of an inch... Any ideas?
ghbug.jpg

Thanks!
Andrew

arachnids...

some sort of mite.

yep, what he said.
notice spiders are NOT mites and mites are NOT spiders. but both are arachnids.
I'm not sure it's the same species I always see but since you say they don't make webs or anything I REALLY doubt they do any harm.
there are mites all over your home (dust mites), there are mites that swim, mites that live on the ground, mites that live in plants, etc.
there are also parasitic mites like chiggers and even ticks are in that family. did you know that THE ONLY venomous animal in the whole wide world (besides some true bugs ... although i'm not sure if they're really considered venomous) that seeks humans to bite them are paralysis ticks?

spider mites like low RH, too

I'm pretty sure they are NOT spider mites. I have seen/had those before... These are quite a bit bigger... I can see these pretty clearly with use of no magnification... When I say they're fast I mean they go like a inch a second.... I've never seen a spider mite do that.
smile_m_32.gif

Andrew

no they're not spider mites. spider mites attack plants and make web like things.

Looks like a baby tick to me.

ooppss! I mean three PAIRS of legs lol!
besides... there wouldn't be so many and he would be full of them.

I don't know how many legs a baby tick as, I never took the time to count them. When I was in Kentucky, I spent a lot of time in the woods. Many times I had swarms of baby ticks crawling up my legs. So It doesn't surprise me that he has so many.

Ticks are pretty rare arround here... And the one time I have seen them... They didn't move this fast... And the pictures I looked up on the internet when I first took this photo didn't look like this either.
Andrew

Its a velvet chigger, nasty little bloodsucker. I've seen them before in the spring in NY turkey hunting. They are very "shiny", hence the name velvet right Andrew?

velvet means it's hairy not shiny.
it doesn't look like a chigger to me he'd probably have tons of bites by now.
i've had both ticks and chiggers bite me by the way.

I don't know much about "velvet Chiggers" The only ones I know about are the ones I got in Kentucky and in North Carolina. All I know is they were almost micrscopic, they iched like crazy, it seemed like it took forever to get rid of them, did I mention they iched?

The chiggers I know are the immature harvester mite. I didn't know that there was more than one kind of chiggers. I hope I never find out if they itch as bad as the harvester mites.
Incase I didn't say it before they itch like crazy.

What huge red things are you referring to?

I've never heard of ticks & chiggers (I started to write chicks & tiggers ... hmmm) sprinting around like that.  I think they're more sedentary, waiting for food to come to them while trying not to dehydrate.  But some predatory mites chase down critters on their miniature savannahs and maybe those are what you're seeing.  But they must be wearing little jet packs to cover so much ground so quickly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 26 2005,8:26)]But they must be wearing little jet packs to cover so much ground so quickly.
You know... If I could video one I'd show you... I'me very surprised with how fast these things go!! I figure to be doing that... They've gotta be hunters. but on one of the many pages I've just read on chiggers... it does say they can move fast. I don't know what they mean by "fast" though.
LOL, I sure hope they are not chiggers... I've been reading on them since it came up... And it doesn't really sound like them. These are bigger than what I read chiggers are. Myself, mywife and our dog (free roam of out back by greenhouse) arn't showing any signs of being bit... (itching/red bump) geesh! I hope not! ...you know how like if you learn a kid you go to school witch has lice, your head starts to itch? I'm starting to "feel" things walking arround on me.
confused.gif

Andrew

If they are chiggers, you should take off all your clothes and roll around in them. That will teach em.

Back