What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
I have a feeling my avatar is copyrighted(it's for a t-shirt picture), I don't want to delete my signature but it won't let me give credit to the owners of the picture unless I knock of 44 characters from my signature. Also I wanted to change my link for my growlist to PFT, but I can't do that either because of the 44 charcters... do I just have to change my signature or is there something I can go around? And the pixels are 64x64 right?

also... a picture of a picture doesn't count right? especially if it's cropped and has a flash thing on it :p my art teacher said that we had to crop our pictures so the copyright thing wouldn't apply.

yes, a picture of a picture "counts"..
just the act of making the picture of the picture is illegal if the original picture is copyrighted..which nearly all art and photography is.
(and, it doesent have to SAY "copyright" or have the little '©' symbol to be copyrighted either..its still copyrighted even without those.)
cropping does not in any way "invalidate" a copyright..
the only way to be truly "safe", morally or legally, is to use your own photo or artwork as your avatar..
Scot

oh yeah..and "hot linking" back to the original site is also a big moral no-no..
that means the image stays on whatever site it was originally on, and you simply link directy to it as your avatar..
that is literally theft of bandwidth..
which translates to literal theft of money, because you are making someone else pay for the bandwidth you are stealing..

why hotlinking is wrong

Yes yes... so you either get permission or don't use it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ Mar. 27 2005,4:03)]Yes yes... so you either get permission or don't use it?
right.

and if you do get permission to use the image, you should still copy it over to your own hosted space and use it from there,
then you arent hotlinking.
we all have free space here on PFT we can use for hosting a avatar.

http://home.petflytrap.com

the last one, "web home community"

Scot

If a judge finds that any of your reproduction is identical even the smallest, then you will be convicted of copyright infringement and fined/jail time.

Joe

Back