What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

March necps

Hey everyone -

Nathan just updated the NECPS website. Here are a few pics from the March 12 meeting. More at: NECPS March05 Mtg. ,photo link is at the bottom.

20050312-NECPS-CP-display%20table-N.macrophylla,D.gigantea,D.dichotoma%20%27Giant%27,N.truncata,D.scorpioides.jpg

20050312-CP-N.singalana.jpg

Bill, is that some scorpiodes way back there? Which Neps are pictured?

ARG! You torture me. Stupid weather. Stupid bugs going around. Stupid house work.

I will be there in April...TWO WEEKS! YAY! Already have it planned and booked with the wife.

Great, Schloaty, glad you will be coming! You do know that we will be going to the Ecotarium?

On the NECPS site are more pics from the meeting and a brief description of the presentation on how to put together a mini bog..

In the very back of the above picture is D. gigantea, N. macrophylla just in front of that. N. burbidgea x edwardsiana is in the pond basket. The second picture is Dave Sackett's N. singalana.

At the next meeting we'll be at the Ecotarium, an ecological museum in Worcester Mass. We'll be upgrading our exhibits there and Kirk is presenting on his recent trip to The Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Allow yourself some extra to see the museum after and before the meeting.

Wait a minute.....the meeting is on 04/09, right?

Ugh...that's Mom's b-day.... Man...EVERY month it's something.

Bill, thanks for your instructions on making a mini bog on the NECPS website referred to in your post.  I’ve built a few of them using a lot of guesswork.  I can always learn from a veteran, so I have a few rather specific questions:

1. How deep is the container for the mini bog?

2. How far down from the surface of the medium are the drainage holes?  How many and how large are they?

2. What is the basic medium in the container (the black stuff)?

3. How do you get the medium for the Nepenthes to stand up?  Is it in a pot?  If so, what kind of holes are in the pot, and how deep is the pot buried in the basic medium?

4. How do you water the plants?  I’ve had problems with this, because pouring water on the medium (at least the stuff I use) disturbs it.  Now, when I make a bog I create a small area of rocks in the corner of the container that extends downward into the medium.  When I pour water on the rocks, the medium is not disturbed.  It works, but maybe there’s a better way.

I like mini bogs because they need less care than water trays and they look better.  I’ve never tried Nepenthes in a mini bog, but since it requires placement on a raised area, it gives some variety to the otherwise flat landscape of the mini bog.  I think it could be incorporated into quite an interesting scene.  I’d like to see photos of some of your other mini bogs.

Well unfortuantly I could not get to this meeting
smile.gif

Back