What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water storage

• Thread starter Nickz123
  • Start date
Is it safe to store water in a platic gas tank. I got a brand new 5 gallon one from walmart that I want to fill using the water machines out side grocery stores. I rinsed it out a few times with the hose is there any thing else I need to do to clean it. Thanks
-Nick

If your just using the water for your plants it should be fine. Just keep it out of bright light or you might end up with algae in it. If it's for storing drinking water, I would wash it with soapy hot water and bleach and rinse it thoroughly.

Steve

It's for water for my plants.
Thanks,
-Nick

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If your just using the water for your plants it should be fine. Just keep it out of bright light or you might end up with algae in it. If it's for storing drinking water, I would wash it with soapy hot water and bleach and rinse it thoroughly.

That idea ROCKS! Forget kids with their oldschool lunchpails- I'll be the only kid at school drinking out of a gas can! You see why I love this place?
smile_n_32.gif

--Jonathan
laugh.gif

I felt like I should say this.. nobody leave a plastic container, i.e., gallon of CP water or spray bottle, continuously in the sun if it's not always full, because I just now lost a perfectly good spray bottle to this. Apparently it got knocked over while on the second shelf of the greenhouse outside in the sun, where I keep the outdoor CP supplies, and shattered on impact because the sun made the plastic so brittle because it was almost empty.

EDIT: Nick, I LOVE your avatar. I think I remember it from a long time ago..

Back