What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slam dancing punker statue paintup

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I sculpted this one a while ago, finally got some time to paint. He's the mascot for the old time punk band the Circle Jerks, about 10" high in this pose.

goon15.jpg

goon16.jpg

goon17.jpg

goon18.jpg

goon19.jpg

goon20.jpg

goon21.jpg

Whatcha think?

I think it's really good. It captures the whole slam-dancing thing! Been there. It was so fun.

unbeleivable! Really great job, Josh. You're quite a talent.

You created that from scratch?

Quite impressive. I have not one artistic bone in my body, and that is a talent that never fails to impress me.

Do you have a webpage with your other work?

Scott, flip through the pages here on the general forum. he has pics of his work posted all over, he probly has about one sculpture a week posted(most unpainted). especially over the last few months. and i agree with yah, its 200 times better than anything ive ever come up with. awesome work once again! i thought your sculpting was awesome but your painting skills are way up there too!

Absolutely fantastic! Yup...captures the flavor! I love the "frozen in motion" thing. I think that's my favorite so far because of the "movement" it has.

I have seen the Circle Jerks as well. Boy you bring back old memories. lol

Thanks! Yup he's from scratch. This little guy started as 2 feet of aluminum wire and a about 1 1/2 lbs of Super Sculpey clay from the craft store. It took me about 25 hours to do the sculpt (baked in stages and details added, baked added...) and about half that long to paint it (over a few days time). You can see a "how a figure starts" tutorial I made a while ago here: http://www.mordordesign.com/tutorial.htm (Warning: it's a girl statue in progress so...)

I hope I never have to do plaid again! The secret there was using some rapidograph technical pens to lay down the fine lines. Can you believe they even have fine point, opaque white paint markers? That made life a lot easier! I still haven't tackled the paisley pattern in the bandanas... maybe someday!

More images and different projects can be seen here: www.toyriot.com in the gallery section. I hope to finish up a few more things and get them online soon.

whoa, the plaid is really impressive. matches the album cover well. keep it up!

Great work and thanks for reminding me of them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Mar. 29 2005,1:59)]Thanks! Yup he's from scratch. This little guy started as 2 feet of aluminum wire and a about 1 1/2 lbs of Super Sculpey clay from the craft store. It took me about 25 hours to do the sculpt (baked in stages and details added, baked added...) and about half that long to paint it (over a few days time).
I never thought about doing multiple bakes... I guess you can't really overcook it as long as the temperatures are fine?

I did a little sculpting in school, and multiple bakes might have made some of my projects a bit easier to put together.

Unbelievable!!!You are awesome!Good job,keep it up!*Niki*(Trapper7)

Yeah, multiple bakes are awesome! I do all the skin first, bake and sand the bejezuz out of it then add the bigger clothes items, bake, sand, and just work on the smaller and smaller details, so long as you keep the temps low sculpey won't boil/burn. It can be a good idea sometimes to wrap parts that stick out in tinfoil so they don't darken if you want to keep your raw sculpt pretty when it's unpainted. With the amount of sanding I do my raw sculpts are never too clean anyway.:D

Great work!!
I love the Circle Jerks! their cover of "Put a Little Love in Your Heart" was too much!!

Poor Ann Murray... never got any respect at home in the Yukon, had to have her song covered by a punk band to get some notice!
smile_n_32.gif

I don't know that she wrote it, but the song was originally by Jackie DeShannon.  And now let's go another few years without mentioning her in a CP forum.

Back