What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pesticides

-Something is eating holes in the leaves and flowers of a couple of my P. ‘Sethos’.
-A very, very tiny little white bug is climbing the flower stalks of my Burmanni and cause them not to flower.
I have tried the water submersion cure but to no avail.  This has been a recurring problem and I would like to cure it once and for all.
I researched posts from this forum and found the pesticides listed below were recommended by some but there was no general agreement on which were safe for my plants.

-Orthene
-Malathion
-Diazinon
-Ortho Systemic Insect Killer
-Sharp Shooter
-Schultz Expert Gardener House Plants & Gardens Insect spray
-Pyrethins based insecticides made with chrysanthemum flowers
-cleary 3336Wp

I grow most of the various types of CP’s and wonder if there are one or two SAFE, all-purpose insecticides that are recommended by you experienced growers.
Also, are there any modification to the instructions on the product that are specific for use on CP's?

I'd reccommend neem oil or anything based on it. It acts as an insecticide, fungicide and miticide. Plus it's a natural product so you don't have to worry about the environment.

Peter

i have used Schultz Expert Gardener House Plants & Gardens Insect spray with geat success on Neps and orchids but i have never used it on a Ping. IIRC its a Pyrethins based insecticide so its a natural product. lots of ppl here swear by Orthene, i havent tried it yet but will in the near future but it wont be on Pings. stupid scale are going after my Sarrs.

I have used Methyl alcohol or Isopropyl on many plants with great success but not on Cps yet. However I have used it on other plants that are very foliage delicate. The only problem I have with alcohol is that it also kills beneficial bacterias/fungi etc.. that I add to my plants.

Joe

So far these have been suggested.
-Neem oil
-Schultz Expert Gardener House Plants & Gardens Insect spray
-Orthene
-Pyrethin based sprays

Has anyone successfully used one of them on Pings or Drosera?

Just a note that the cleary's 3336 is a fungicide.

Curious as to what is eating holes in your Ping. Most insect pests don't eat holes. Although if it is sitting outside then maybe a large chewing insect had some lunch. Maybe a slug or snail hiding somewhere? This is a much more likely problem.

I also find it odd that a "very tiny little white bug" is causing the Drosera flowers to not open. Perhaps you are missing them? Drosera only open on nice sunny days for a few hours during the morning/early afternoon.

Tony

i use ortho.

i used it on everything and it's safe. but it wilted my D. adelae, so i hope it recovers

i second the neem oil

Tony, You are probably correct.  I also suspect a small slug is doing the damage on my Ping.  I am going to try sumerging them one more time.

I posted a pic a long time ago of the "little white bug" that climbs up the stems of my Drosera and no plant they have infested ever forms flowers.  They just dry up.  Unfortunately I zapped the photo but it should be pretty easy to take another and I will post it.

Rubera, Finch...Do you know what brand of insecticide contains neem oil?

I posted some photos of the bug in a new General Discussion post titled "A pesky critter".

Take a look and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back