What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate caterpillers!

I just went outside and discovered that several of my S. wrigleyana pitchers, S. flava, and S. alata pitchers had been munched.

Fortunately, I also caught the culprit red-handed and exacted revenge with a hammer. Oh, how I wish those little buggers could feel pain!

The remains are currently nourishing my N. miranda.

I'll need to check for them daily now.

Any potent pesticides you'd recommend that won't harm the plants?

Bear in mind, they're in an undrained large pot, so something that will break down eventually is preferred.

sprinkle salt around your pots, I personally use rock salt. Just make sure it is a complete circle.

Joe

That isn't going to do much against the eggs that have been laid on the plants. Ever notice the moths and butterflies fluttering around your plants? Guess what they're doing.....

DUH...........I was thinking slugs. Just ignore me. You're right salt wouldn't do much to catterpitter or butterflies.
confused.gif
I need to pay more attention.

Joe

Learn the language of the caterpillars, bred with their women, and in time your differences will be forgotten.

Option2: Just raise the caterpillars, and when they are in butterflie form, feed them to the plants or let them go, they actually useful in adult form :p

I see, Pirhana. Become one with the caterpillar! Exact change from the inside out!! Brilliant thinking! Your ki must be strong, or the caterpillar will eat your sarrs.

Guys!!!! Dont kill caterpillers!!! Theres a shortage of butterflies in the world as it is!!! Just throw them in the grass, thats what I do, as do lots of famous gardners here.  Or put them in a normal garden plant that you couldnt care about.
Just dont kill them!!!
And I dont see how any of you can feed beautiful butterflies to plants.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ April 01 2005,8:07)]Guys!!!! Dont kill caterpillers!!! Theres a shortage of butterflies in the world as it is!!! Just throw them in the grass, thats what I do, as do lots of famous gardners here.  Or put them in a normal garden plant that you couldnt care about.
Just dont kill them!!!
And I dont see how any of you can feed beautiful butterflies to plants.  
smile_h_32.gif
Easy. If anything harms my plants, I don't merely want to stop it, I want to terminate it with extreme prejudice.

Any moths or butterflies in my backyard are of a common and ugly variety, anyway.

I'm with Sarr Scott on this,
My wifes cats have been saved frommy wrath a time or two also. I do not care for anything that purposely destroys my plants. The way I look at it, the cats were free the plant was not.

P.S. I have never killed a cat. (for the people who would have flamed about the above) I just get rid of them but my wife gets them and they are back.

Sorry, Didn't mean to hijack.
Joe

i like caterpillars. I agree with Dino. To the grass!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh, how I wish those little buggers could feel pain!
they do.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just throw them in the grass, thats what I do, as do lots of famous gardners here.
how is starving them to death (well, actually they'd probably get eaten) better than smashing them with a hammer?
I like caterpillars too (notice the spelling people! lol). Just like I like squirrels and other things that harm/could harm my plants. My plants aren't my whole life.
caterpillars won't eat any green thing that comes along. I'm guessing that those caterpillars can't eat grass.... although of course I could be wrong since so many cateripillars have TONS of hosts.

Back