What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tedpoles and frogs update

Hi everyone.
Here is an update on tedpoles.
They have now hatched out of their eggs and they are mostly spending time at the bottom nibbling on their eggs(their eggs still arnt completely eaten even though they hatched about 6 days ago) but today I noticed they have gone a bit fat and are starting to swim near the surface too.
I am going to Switzerland this Monday, will it be o.k to leave them as they are? Their eggs are still in the tank so is some algea that they can eat.
They are all black in colour, but I sitll dont know the species.
My greenhouse will be all built and running by mid-late April, and the genteleman who is giving itt to me is reccomending me to put in some frogs or toads(or both) into the greenhouse because they eat things like slugs and flies and other unpleasant things you dont want in there. They can live in the water trays, and I will also be placing a fountain that gives of water vapour to raise humidity, they can also go in that. Perfect escuse to keep a few, and mum wont be able to complain about keeping any now!!
smile_n_32.gif

Dino

cool. I think they'll be fine.... although I'm not sure about the fountain. tadpoles don't like moving water... unless they're those species that live near waterfalls and stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 02 2005,5:57)]cool. I think they'll be fine.... although I'm not sure about the fountain. tadpoles don't like moving water... unless they're those species that live near waterfalls and stuff.
no no thats when they are baby frogs
smile.gif

Oh they will be fine thats good.

BTW I found a dead and decomposing tedpole in the tank today, looks like it couldnt ge tout of its egg properly and died. Looks like it was nibbled a bit by the others too.
smile_t_32.gif

lol. yep! they like dead stuff too. small dead fish, tadpoles, etc.
I still don't think any part of their life cycle would like moving water...

No, moving water is not the greatest. But why don't you leave it and share your results with us.

The greenhouse situation sounds ideal. You won't be able to use any chemicals in there if you plan on keeping frogs. I actually think that is a marveous idea. Say where are you going in Switzerland? Have fun!

Hello,
The man who is giving me my greenhouse fertilizes all his orchids regualy and his frogs and toads are alive and well. But I will ask him for details how he does it.

I am going to Zurich, Switzerland. However I might be visiting other cities there for day trips also. Very nice country, I always love it while Im there.

I`m glad they are doing well:) I have troubles with toad tadpoles in my pond....they are fine if less then 100 but toads lay thousands of eggs and the tadpoles poisen goldfish. So I either move them to a seperate bucket,or feed them to the chickens who don`t mind them.. I love the Hyla species that lay there eggs as well! Btw. Dino a greenhose would be a great place to place the tropical waterlilys in year round! I should have told you of this already but I forgot you where getting a greenhouse. I think it would be cool to have a bucket or wadeing pool with your waterlillys and frogs(Rana species like green frogs common to europe are rather aquatic by nature) and the frogs would have a place to lay eggs if they are so inclined! I must warn you though that species of toads of the genus Bufo like to bury into pots of plants,possibly hurting smaller ones by trampleing.

Chickens eat tadpoles??
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Who knew.*Niki*

Back