What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A pesky critter

These are pics of very small bugs that climb up the stalks of my Drosera flowers.  When there is a heavy infestation the flowers never open and simply dry up.
I have tried sumerging them but the plants (especially my burmannii) have seeded themselves in every pot I have and it is kinda tough to fully sumerging a two foot high Sarr.  They simply float off the drosera, attach themselves to the tops of the Sarr pitchers and then climb back down to the Drosera when I put them back on my bench.

Do any of you have any idea what they are and any suggestions on how to get rid of them?

P4050001.jpg

P4050003.jpg

This is the first time I have ever seen a green one.
P4050004.sized.jpg

Those look like either aphids or another bug (i forget the name), but has your plant had any symptons, any webbing or anything? I don't know how to get rid of them, but from reading pest threads, I know that orthene is used. Just never had a pest yet, expect a opossum, but my dog kill it and only bad thing was a bunch of hair on my aquatic utric.

Edit: I did a google image search and they look like aphids, but I haven't found any nymph photos yet, just adults.

you got aphids!! evil lil buggers.

They look so cute, if only they weren't pests.

Hay, Hellz here,
yup, those are aphids,
i like to use neem oil on my plants, although it smells kinda bad lol
Hellz

100%, no doubt whatsoever..aphids.
you dont want them,
they are suckers..they suck the sap out of plants.
easily removed by just running the plant under the faucet, or knocking them off with a spray of water.
no need for pesticides.

a few wont do too much damage, but they reproduce FAST..
just remove them manually and feed them to sundews!

Scot

Could buy/catch some ladybugs too. They do a real good job of cleaning the aphids off my roses.

when i got aphids, i brought out the heavy artillery!

chemical warfare!

Scottychaos:Wouldn't it be bad to run the plants under tap water tho?I don't know what they are(but from the sounds of it they aphids,lol)but I have a feeling the the green one is an adult and the white ones are the babies,but I dunno for sure.*Niki*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ April 05 2005,8:15)]Scottychaos:Wouldn't it be bad to run the plants under tap water tho?I don't know what they are(but from the sounds of it they aphids,lol)but I have a feeling the the green one is an adult and the white ones are the babies,but I dunno for sure.*Niki*
no, it would not be bad at all to run them under tap water..
even if some of the tap water gets on/in the media, thats fine too..

the danger with tap water is that the mineral hardness builds up slowly over time if you use tap water all the time..
you would have to water your plants with tap water every day for an entire season for it to have any negative effect..
tap water is only bad for CPs with prolonged, long-term use..
running them under tap water will have zero effect..
even watering with tap in an emergency will have zero effect..
just flush out the pot when you get your "good" water again, rain or distilled or whatever..
(just pour a cupfull of the good water in the pot and let it drain out to the ground..that flushes out the minerals)
Scot

put the babies under a microscope. I feed mine to my birds becayse there shugary and plump, my birds love them. And ant larva/ they pick em up in their beaks and POP! POP! each bursts like a grape in their mouths.

Butr eally the worst aphid to control in my opinion is the plum leaf-curling aphids. If they get inside the curled leaves it acts as a good shelter from sprays. Wich by the way, dont work vey well for this species anyway. The worst part is that they transmit the deasease plum pox potyvirus

Plum leaf-curling aphid (Brachycaudus helichrysi)

I seen those before, I never knew those were aphids, just some insect. I noticed a curled leaf and when I opened it, a bunch of these weird black things, but they didn't look like the normal aphids.

They are aphids, and they are baaaad news. I used to mess around with various methods like submerging, alcohol, organic sprays. No go for me. Then I tried Orthene. The orthene was immediately effective, killed the aphids and harmed not so much as a tentacle on my most sensitive Drosera and Utricularia. If orthene is available I would suggest you use it, and follow up a few weeks later with another drench. The good thing about orthene is it is ststemic: the plants take it up and become poisionous to later potential parasitic attack. No hiding in the leaf rolls for them: they suck - they die!

I placed my plants outside last week. When I checked on them at the end of the week I was horrified as I saw aphids on my one sarracenia flower stalk.
I check the forums and it looked like Orthene was my best bet, so I had time to spray the plants yesterday. Die you bugs!
mad.gif

Tamlin,  Thanks for the answer I have been looking for.
Do you apply it per the directions on the label?  
Is there only one type of orthene?
I thought they made 2 or 3 different products?
Would you mind looking at your label and letting me know exactly what the product is that you are using.

Where you been?

Back