What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Original star wars

Yes I said it. The original Star Wars were kind of Stupid especially after you see them like 20 years later. Lets face reality. The figures in Space move about in a 2D plane. I mean the star ships. What ever the "good guy's" circular ship was called it moved up or across infront of the Empires stuf but never went perpindicular or any other direction to get away from the canons. This is abosoluting idiotic. a 3D plane exists and so the ship could move in any direction just by propelling matter in the opposite direction (Newton's third). And the ending of the first? come one. Who would have been stupid enough to fly in that trench around the spherical soace station. Just enter at the point near as nessicary to the distruction point. Yeah the acting is good but the story is not very orignal. How many books and now movies have been made with the same basic story (a small group of heros with lots of determination can defeat a whole empire that has nothing better to do then search for the heros).
I can't wait to see the response

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

First off if they would have made the star ships move in a 3d plane it would have costed so much more money. especially considering when it was made!!! It wasn't even slotted to be a big film they had a limited budget and they were working on a tight deadline. gah gah gah, I can't even type my espnse beause I"m os rfustraed at this thread topeosif

they had to fly in th e trech because they had to give the computer time to target the proton torpedo. fi htey woul dhave flown to the nearest point and wait sfor the computer to calculate the trajectory they could have been more easity targetdds by the turrents!!!!!!!!!!

daying the story is not original is CRAP!

if you break down ANY movie far enough its not original, I mean seirsouyly how can you say the whole premise of SW isn't original, You pretty much have to break it down to the oldest story concept ever, good vs evil!!

ACK ACK !!!

let me guess you like star trek?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I was never much of a Star Wars fan either. And yes, I like sci fi and fantasy. I'm also old enough (28) that I caught the tail end of the originals. That said, they're not bad movies but the hubbub over them are extreme. I had a roommate that saw episode 1 (or whatever) 14 times in a row. He finally ran out of money. Here's the funny thing; at that movie theater, if you buy the largest bag of popcorn, you can refill it for free. He bought one of those, and after the 10th refill or whatever, it started to fall apart from all of the oil in it. He even tried to duct tape it, but the managers wouldn't accept it after that. 2 days, 14 showings, and nothing to eat but popcorn. That's what most people would call an unhealthy obsession!

Did y'all hear about the fans that are already lined up a month ahead in Hollywood?

No see I like entertaining shows like CSI and Buffy. That are physically correct (physics). Well at least when they do things. Anyway the missile would have had to have the same velocity as Luke's star ship. otherwise it would have escaped the gravity of the spherical starship. Too slow and it would not have hit. So his star ship would only have been a little more then have the distance from the spherical starship when it exploded as the missle went. So he would have dies judging from the size of the explosion. Anyway it was a good movie up until about 5 years ago (after the remakes) when the new starwars and tons of other SCI FYI movies came out.

LOL!

CSI.....phisically correct...LOL....stop it you're killing me with this...

but CSI is a good show... juts not in the sense you had mentioned...

Well I mean at least fairly accurate. I meant more for the entertainment value. I jsut don't find Star Wars as entertaining as liek when I was 8. The new ones are fairly good but I have only seen them once each and don't paln to again...just to preserve the novelty.

I saw the original and none of the later ones. I was around 15 when the original came out and I thought it was great at the time. But ten or so years ago one of the local stations showed 2001 followed by SW. I turned SW off within 15 minutes because it was so lame by comparison.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ April 08 2005,2:46)]Well I mean at least fairly accurate.
csi fairly accurate, thats a pretty good strecth. The methods they use are not very realistic at all, one time i saw them ask for a rush job on a DNA test and expect the results the next day, not possible, unless they have new technology at CSI they are not sharing with the rest of the world. and that one is just the most memorable one, i wont even watch because of the way they do things on that show and how many problems there are with it. Now if you watch it for entertainment, well thats just a personal opinion personally i find star wars much better because at least they try to keep things somewhat accurate.

why would you judge a movie on it being inaccurate? is SCIFI, FI!!!! as in FICTION!

[facetious tone]Yea, star wars is soo inaccurate!, like you can really lift a Xwing with the force, every one knows the biggest thing you can lift with the force is an apple![/facetious tone]

I love threads like this. What makes anyone think they are in possession of all the facts?

here are some known 'facts' about the 'tech': The death star's levels are not concentric, (like layers of an onion) they stack one on top of the other, from south to north. This alone precludes a normal gravity well.

Ships in the Star Wars universe use inertial dampening, and have the ability to create and control gravity.

Proton Torpedoes are seeker enabled warheads, capable of making right angle turns without relativistic physics carrying them past their intended trajectory, that goofy inertial dampening technology.
smile.gif

All creatures on earth, with the exception of deep sea critters that live their lives in the abyss, seek an orientation they 'sense' as relative 'up'. It makes sense that this would be true as well for aliens. In space, humans (and other races if they exist) will likely orient themselves to either the galactic north or south... (silly galaxies... so 2 dimensional!)

All the space battles in the starwars universe so far have taken place in orbit above a planet. Take Yavin for instance, the death star is closing to blow the moon out of existence, the best approach vector for firing would be head on, this would create a 'plane' of combat, i.e. the shortest distance between the death star and the rebel base, this is naturally where combat would occur.

Also, why would the rebel fleet around endor orient itself in a direction other than at the death star? their whole goal was to engage it, they WANTED to get closer to it, thus, their engines must be facing away. Formations are a nice thing too, you keep a corvette in your blind spot to cover you, and another Mon Calamari cruiser covers the corvette, overlapping fields of fire.

what else... oh, the trench run. Explained "We have to get below those Turbo Lasers" (or a phrase very similar to it.) there were less guns to deal with in the trench than on the surface, and it limited fighter angle of attacks as well. (though, why a second set of fighters didn't come in behind the first and offer a rear guard is beyond me.
smile.gif
) (Also why are some rebel pilots so fat?)

My wife says I have a great memory for worthless info.
smile.gif

Oh, and not to be insulting, but is TURRENT a word someplace else? I see people mis-spell TURRET all the time as TURRENT, and I am just wondering.
smile.gif

How about not overanalyzing a hallmark of modern american cinema and just enjoying it? I mean, if you want to nit pick it, how about the fact that Lea knows han's name in the garbage mansion yet they haven't had time to introduce each other? Or why a civilization that has been in the stars for 20,000 years even NEEDS a garbage compactor, haven't they figured out matter to energy conversion yet?

NO, I am not a hueg starwars fan, I just remember everything. :|

Hi,

Well, one thing is for sure. In terms of acting and directing plus reality and humanity the latest Starwars movies make the original 3 look like Shakespeare. Those last 2 bored me to tears. I found the old special effects from the 70's alot more exciting and believable. Those computer generated cities, characters, armies and actions were as fake looking as a computer game hero running with his back to the screen and just added unnecessary and uninteresting visual detail. Get to the characters, story, relationships and fun and cast some actors who can both act and have a personality. The new ones are as dull as dishwater.

Bobby

Back