What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Botany for dummies?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for introductory literature on botany, "Botany for Dummies"-kind of books, if you will.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

DumBo

Most unfortunately, the qualtiy publications are going to cost $$$. If you watch carefully and check around, used copies do become available from time to time but not generally on new releases. Have you a library anywhere near you? Our library has suggestion forms for books. Back in college, if I wanted a particular book I would suggest it be purchased. Then I would ask my friends to also suggest that the book be purchased. Generally, a title was placed on a purchase list if there were 5 requests. Sigh, this was well over 20 years ago and I truly do not know how they determine which books will be purchased and which won't now. Our libraries have inter library exchanges though. That means that if any other library in our County has the title, I can generally have it in my hands in under a week. Just a thought.

Looks as if the botany book is going to be for you personally. Sorry about posting the link the teachers use. You are considerably above that level.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Most unfortunately, the qualtiy publications are going to cost $$$.

After half an afternoon on Amazon, I've come to a similar conclusion. I really like Murray Nabor's book (see link above), but a hunnerd bucks's a hunnerd bucks, and I need stay on the stingy side of life for a while, as I'm currently building a snazzy new greenhouse
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you watch carefully and check around, used copies do become available from time to time but not generally on new releases.

Good thinking! Anybody here want to sell his copy of the Nabor?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have you a library anywhere near you?

Yes, the National Library of the Republic of China, Taipei, is just a 20 minute subway ride away. Quite an amazing library, indeed, but I'm just too darn lazy to read scientific Chinese outside of my translation job, so I'm looking for something in English or German.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Looks as if the botany book is going to be for you personally. Sorry about posting the link the teachers use.

No reason to be sorry, Laura, I do like the link a lot - I have two kids, and I'm definitely not above reading children's science publications if I want to understand something I have almost no knowledge of.

Cheers!

Hans

Ah, now I am making some connections. You are in China. Aw honey, if you want that book you are most probably are going to have to pay for it as even if I bought the book and shared it with you, the cost to get it to you and then back to me would be somewhere around $50 and you still wouldn't have your own copy for reference. By the way, this is a soft cover book but there may be a hard cover out there.

Here's the ISBN on the book- 0805344160

Here, I have purchased from these people before and they are responsive and professional-
http://www.alibris.com/search....PLcsnIA

Now follow this link and I'm thinking you will own your very own copy very soon-
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Introdu....-search

Hint, Don't order from A1. In my opinion, they are difficult to communicate productively with and I once told them to either send the book I had ordered and paid for or ram it up their rears. I contacted my credit card company and contested the charge after about 60 days. I had to re-order the book I needed from another supplier. I was not happy as I needed that specific out of print book that I had purchased from them for a project and I lost time locating it from places that might have actually had it in stock.  Sometimes it is best to pay a little bit more by purchasing from dealers that have updated inventories so you actually get the book you want.  Best wishes to you, Laura

I'd roam around any nearby used bookstores, especially those that focus on English language or science books. Yes, some books are better and some are worse; but I'd rather pay less for the introductory book and have money left over to buy books about specific topics later.

How about 'Botany for Gardners: An Introduction and Guide' by Brian Capon? Very basic, but not too basic IMO.

Hi everyone,

thanks a million for all the great tips! I'll peruse y'all's suggestions and will come back with a decision.

Most probably, I'll start with buying the Nabor, and darn the torpedoes... (meaning: I'll have to live on boiled rice with soy sauce for six months, but that's the price for knowledge, I guess
smile.gif

Are you reading away these days while munching on boiled rice with soy sauce? Just teasing with you but which publication did you ultimately decide to purchase?

Well I hope it serves you well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ May 03 2005,6:15)]Are you reading away these days while munching on boiled rice with soy sauce? Just teasing with you but which publication did you ultimately decide to purchase?
Hi Laura and Treaqum,

actually, after purchasing the Nabors at alibris.com for the LOWLOWLOW price of 78 bucks Yoo-Ess, I found I could even afford half a spring onion per day in my rice!
smile.gif

The book hasn't arrived yet, however, thank you 4235923 million times again for pointing me in that direction - I've also bought tons of other books at Alibris already. What a bargain bin! What a treasure chest! I'm a sucker for books about the plant hunters of old (Low, Hooker et al.), and there's lots of out-of-print stuff to be had...

Hans

Good for you Hans!  So glad you were able to add a spring onion to the diet with the money savings.  

Misery loves company.  I just picked up a few publications myself. It's a sickness you know.  Us book people need professional help. Now you'll have to critique the book after you read it and let us know if it was worth the dietary sacrifices you made.

Critique the book.....hmm....okay! Not a bad idea, actually, maybe helpful for other bookaholics round these parts.

Have you received the book and read it?  Would love to know what you thought of it.

Back