What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another job opportunity

• Thread starter firewired
  • Start date
I just noticed that there is another job opportunity here. I'm currently working at the graphic design company that I interned at. I was really hoping to work there, and was happy to get the job and have been working part-time since feb. I go full time on monday. I have been working for $8.00/hour, and now that I'm full time they are bumping me up to $8.75/hour, and after a month of full time, I'll be $9.75/hour. I was excited to get the news of full time and a little more pay, but I thought that it would be a little higher than $9.75. It seems like graphic design is kind of a more specialized job.

I saw in the paper that there is a job opening at the hospital here in town for a PC technician. The starting salary is $12.99/hour. That's alot more than what I'm making, and that's the starting salary! No degree required.

So now I'm wondering if I should take that job.......It would be great to the get better pay, and alot better benefits at the hospital. But, I have only been working here for 2 months, and it is in the field that I got my degree in. I'm sure it's making me a better designer too. So I don't really know what to do........I suppose it wouldn't hurt to apply there and see what it's like. There's pros and cons for each side. What are your guys' thoughts?

- Joel

The real question is do you care about your job now or would you rather have more money at a job you don't really know about.

well, It can't hurt to investigate it. Apply, interview, and see what they say, since you already havea position, it's a shoppers market for you. If you like it go, if you dont, dont.

Also, not a good idea to post your earnings here. What if your IT guy tracks your usage and just found out what you make? If he's cool, he will ignore it, if he's super cool, he will warn you that tracking occurs and he saw it, if he's a small, well your post would find out.

Better safe than sorry, never ever ever discuss your salary in anything but general terms, and even then, you probably shouldn't do it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ April 10 2005,5:15)]well, It can't hurt to investigate it. Apply, interview, and see what they say, since you already havea position, it's a shoppers market for you. If you like it go, if you dont, dont.

Very true.....I will check it out on monday on my lunch break.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ April 10 2005,5:15)]Also, not a good idea to post your earnings here. What if your IT guy tracks your usage and just found out what you make? If he's cool, he will ignore it, if he's super cool, he will warn you that tracking occurs and he saw it, if he's a small, well your post would find out.

Better safe than sorry, never ever ever discuss your salary in anything but general terms, and even then, you probably shouldn't do it.

What do you mean? My IT guy at work? I'm at home right now posting. Why would it hurt if he found out what I'm making right now?

Design work was what you wanted to do a couple months ago.  Is it still?  If it is, don't leave it for $3 more per hour.  Unless you need it to support someone or need those benefits.  If starting pay in graphic design is $10, you'll probably never go back to it if you become accustomed to $13 or more doing something else.

Design work is one of the things that I like doing, but I'm getting $12 - $15 right now doing freelance graphics work. The other business that I had thought about starting was a computer repair business.

I do enjoy doing graphics work and would continue to do so for the clients I have right now, and hopefully get more clients in the future. It's a tough choice.........I know that I would continue to develop my design skills doing graphics every day at work, but more pay is also enticing. $3 more an hour works out to be roughly $6,000 more a year. Decisions decisions..........

I have always been told that leaving a job for more pay is the best reason for leaving a job. Afterall a company would like to think that you would make them more money when you can, why wouldn't you do it for yourself?

Joe

Are you really one of the graphic designers? Or some sort of apprentice? I've never heard of a graphic designer getting paid so little, honestly. Maybe the market has gotten worse than I thought... but as far as I know none of the graphic designers the people I work for contract get paid that little.

You might want to consider applying for that position and interviewing for it if the opportunity to do so presents itself. 6k a year is a lot of money. If you are offered the position at the hospital and if you believe you would feel comfortable there, let them know you are very interested and ask for 48 hours to get back to them with a decision. That would be the time you discuss a new offer with your current employer. No employer of merit should ever begrudge an employee the opportunity to better him/herself. Worse case scenario is that your current employer likes your work product so much that he/she is willing to match the pay to keep you. Should this new opportunity pan out for you, please be gracious and let the hospital know that you feel the need to give two week notice to your existing employer.

On the flip side of the coin, the position you are currently in may be a stepping stone to an annual income far greater than that which the hospital may ever be able to offer. I suspect most graphics design firms are looking for experience as well as a portfolio. Staying put may enable you to get that 2 years of experience in the field you love and it may also enable you to put together a great portfolio of your work product.

Another point to ponder, that position at the hospital may be a dead end position. Most hospitals contract out for their marketing as well as their graphiscs design. But, they certainly do generally have 401 k and other benefits that a small graphics design firm may never be in a position to offer.  

Yes, you are correct... decisions, decisions, decisions. Best wishes to you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ April 10 2005,10:20)]Are you really one of the graphic designers? Or some sort of apprentice? I've never heard of a graphic designer getting paid so little, honestly. Maybe the market has gotten worse than I thought... but as far as I know none of the graphic designers the people I work for contract get paid that little.

Well, I interned there for free September - November last year. Now I graduated college in December and started working there the beginning of February. I'm wondering if it's because of the lack of experience that they are paying me so low. I completely agree with you about the pay being much higher for graphic designers.

I get to sit down and talk to the accountant tommorrow about it. He was gone friday or else I would have found out then. I'll find out what exactly I get for benefits as well. From what it sounds like it isn't much. Half of my health insurance is paid for, but only if it is with their group plan, which might not be as good as mine now and may be a little more expensive. So I don't really know............I guess I will know more when I talk to him. I'll ask him what kind of salary I can look forward to in the future, and mention that I kind of expected a little more. He seems like a nice guy.

First day of full time here I come
biggrin.gif
I'll post tomorrow on my findings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 10 2005,11:15)]On the flip side of the coin, the position you are currently in may be a stepping stone to an annual income far greater than that which the hospital may ever be able to offer. I suspect most graphics design firms are looking for experience as well as a portfolio. Staying put may enable you to get that 2 years of experience in the field you love and it may also enable you to put together a great portfolio of your work product.

Another point to ponder, that position at the hospital may be a dead end position. Most hospitals contract out for their marketing as well as their graphiscs design. But, they certainly do generally have 401 k and other benefits that a small graphics design firm may never be in a position to offer.

Yes, you are correct... decisions, decisions, decisions. Best wishes to you.
Very good points........I'll think hard about it. Thanks
smile.gif

Back