What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My ram got stolen last night

RamPuppy

Who is a bigger thief? the people who stole your truck? or the City you live in, who after recovering said truck towed it to the city impound lot, and are charging me 210 dollars to reclaim it?

Sunday night thieves broke into my friends autoshop, where the truck was for some engine work. They made off with My 99 Ram 4x4 sport, plus my friends tools (around 100K) and i believe (but not sure) two 56 T-birds that were being restored for a father and son as matching cars. My truck was recovered on the south side of the city w/ no seats, and the tailgate removed. (go figure, they left the stereo)

The truck was recovered at 2 AM, yet, the criminalists in the SAPD did not see fit to make it over to the lot until 2PM, so the paperwork for evidence collection was not filed today, which means, i can't have my truck back. Because of the city's inability to be efficient, I now owe another 105.98 For a second day of storage. Yay.

I am still trying to wrap my head around how the victim ends up paying for this. this is absolutely ridiculous, I understand charging a fee for someone who has excessive tickets or let their registration lapse, but because my car was stolen? that is just WRONG.. I am more angry at the city than I am at the people who stole my truck. I think I am going to be at the next city council meeting.

That just sucks!Well,for the working person who struggles to try to make it,this is the type of crap that happens to you.This is just plain WRONG!I feel for you man.

Jerry

That sucks, Ram. I have to admit though, that the first thought that went through my head was that you were preparing an 11.5 month April Fool's joke for next year. See what Ozzy has done to us??

Capslock

Sorry about your truck. I've been there I know how you feel.

Caps you can let your gaurd down for about another 10 and a half months. I promise.

yeah, no joke.

One of the suckier sides to it, is this will seriously delay the construction on my new reef tank.
smile_h_32.gif
You know, I may just be being down onmyself, but it seems just when things are getting from good to awesome in life, crap like this happens. It's a plot by the man...

I'm sorry to hear about that RamPuppy. That is very wrong that you end up paying for all of that, plus you have to go through all of that stress and anger. I'm sure The Big Man has only plans of good for you, even though at times it's hard to see. I'm sure it will get better for you soon. Good luck.

- Joel

That really sucks Ram. Hope things turn out for the best, even though I would be pissed right now *I am sure you are too*. Dodge Ram truck is a nice truck too!

Thanks Joel

Start writing letters. Letters to the Mayor, City Council, Police Chief, Govenor..etc. Can most likely get your money refunded to you.

As long as you don't give up, someone will listen to you.

Sorry about your truck.

RamPuppy I'm really sorry that this happened to you.Actually the first thing I thought,when you mentioned how much you have to pay,is that this is really gonna mess up some of your plans for your fancy tank you're working on
smile_h_32.gif
I'm really sorry about that.I know it's tough but I would also try to fight this cause this is not right!This is not your fault,like it would be for someone who hasn't paid their tickets(like you said)that's their fault,so they would deserve to have to pay,but you shouldn't cause you didn't ask for this.I'm really sorry.*Niki*

darn! That must really suck! You have to be punished for your car being stolen?! Common sense isn't all that common nowadays is it?

I would talk to insurance, they would not be at all happy to know that it is someone elses fault for charges and fees. However if you only have liability then I would go with the mayors hotline and crap like that. Also.........
I know people go on and on about the media thing but this is something that draws their attention.

Joe

well, I already decided, whether insurance will cover it or not, I am fighting it, if I get the money back and I have been re-embursed for it through the insurance company, I will simply endorse the check to them. Regardless though, no one else should have to go through this, it is wrong. I am already preparing drafts to the mayor, city council, chief of police, WOAI news, SA Lightning, SA Express News, and a few local political action groups... I am going to make a huge stink.

Oh yeah, definatly local tv, radio, and papers too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ April 12 2005,12:35)]well, I already decided, whether insurance will cover it or not, I am fighting it, if I get the money back and I have been re-embursed for it through the insurance company, I will simply endorse the check to them. Regardless though, no one else should have to go through this, it is wrong. I am already preparing drafts to the mayor, city council, chief of police, WOAI news, SA Lightning, SA Express News, and a few local political action groups... I am going to make a huge stink.
Good for you. That is really the way to make a difference. I admire that you aren't just taking it sitting down. You're standing up for yourself and everyone else this has happened to in the past, and you are helping those to whom it may happen to in the future. Hopefully even preventing it from happening like this again. Good job!

And also.....if there is anything any of us can do to help, please feel free to ask!

There you go, sounds like yuo got it right; you need to make a stink. I mean, that's really BS. I hope that your letters get the job done and that you'll get your money. Still, I feel for you, it's lost time, and worry about having your truck stolen, and worrying about your friend, too. It's a lot of extra stress that could be easily be avoided if people would just think. Well, I'm really sorry but I hope it'll work otu for you in the end and that it'll prevent this sort of thing in the future. Good luck!

--Jonathan

thanks for the wellwishes and support guys...

Is there something you can do? YES! Money talks. And who has the most money? Insurance Companies!

If insurance companies DO end up paying for this stuff, members need to make stink, becuase when your insurance ends up paying for this stuff, YOU end up paying for it in the long run. Insurance prices, like gas Prices are OUT OF CONTROL.

If my insurance company pays for this, you should call your insurance companies and find out, if they do to, MAKE A STINK. If I make a difference it will only be for san antonio, and it can still happen everywhere... the best situation I could create is for the state of texas to outlaw this behavior, but seriously, i will try my best, but I don't expect much to come of it, this has probably been happening for a long while, I am sure that many have made a stink about it before, and many will in the future (maybe not quite the stink I will raise) but when it all comes down to it in the final resolution, this iss a police department revenue stream, I am sure it pays to keep officers on the street, and it probably won't go anywhere.

smile_h_32.gif
that totally sucks!!! Any chance you can sue them for the impound?

don't know... I don't have a problem that it was impounded, you can't have a cop babysit a stolen vehicle until the owner gets there or has it towed, I just have an issue with them charging me for it.

If it comes down to it, I probably won't sue, I simply can't afford it. The only thing I will sue over, is it they ruined my transfer case by not towing the vehicle properly (flat bed tow truck).

Back