What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
This is my big bang!
I only have 2 CPs at the moment so it's not so much the Cps I am was here for but this place has gotten over run with kids who just want to argue with an adult about something or other and it's absolutely rediculous. I know why Tamlin and the other greats eventually leave this place. I do need to say that Ram and Phil as well as the Mods are good people and I don't think I've run across Mikey (sp?) in a topic btu I am sure he is the same but........theres a reason the best leave. I do not mean to toot my own horn but I am fed up with the over run of this place with non CP junk. General forumsis just that but as Ram recently mentioned, it seems there are things started for the intent purpose of arguement. Holding your own opinion is one thing but having a sig that insults those with religions is another entirely, Christian or otherwise. I don't have a chip on my shoulder against kids, I have a problem with loud mouth children that want to argue BS with and adults that don't wanna grow up. I ain't here to meet Peter ahyukin Pan and his "lost boys" or others that don't have the balls to stand up because their afraid it will hurt chances for trading. It doesn't matter anyway though. I can argue with my wife or my brother or neighbor, at least they have some life experience to argue from. I got alot goin for me FINALLY and I don't need this kind of "hobby". The hell with it!

BANG![

$uper!mposedhop3

Darn, this is my doing isn't it, it's because of the abortion thread. I'm sorry all (assuming it is).
smile_h_32.gif

this is exactly what I have been dreading.

Im a kid superimspossed and im sorry my brethren have driven another older, wiser mind away.
my only sugestion is if you dont want kids giving you bs just ignore them, i'm sure youve noticed its the best way to really get them back. and i dont know who i stole this from but
"dont argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experiance."

later man, Chris

Trainspotting,

I think Joe understands perfectly what you are saying, but the thing is, sometimes you read something, and you can not help but respond to it, to leave your belief, or someone elses incorrect belief out there without a 'tit for the tat' so to speak, is almost criminal to you.

You have to respond, and while there are many intelligent kids here, (and I don't use the word kids as an insult) there are some that are just quite honestly brick walls. (nothing wrong with being a brick wall, it is in many cases, an admirable trait)
I think Joe is tired of it, and frankly I know a few other people are too.

And I can't believe I got suckered into another one of those topics!
smile.gif

yeah I understand I was just thowing in my thoughts; but more to the point, I think it sucks he's leaving just cuz of some brick wall as you put it. oh well, human refuse happens.

smile_h_32.gif
well as far as Im concerned this site started as a "CP" site built for those who grow to come together and meet people with the same interests. When people start getting chased away from here because of the off topic threads there is a problem. If there is ever something in someones sigs that seems insulting please there is also a problem.

To the youngsters (and adults) who like to argue on silly stuff knock it off that is not what this place was created for. Sometimes I wonder why Phil doesnt just shut this site down and build a new one thats invite only or a paid one. Trust me Ive suggested it quite a few times in the 3 years(?) Ive been here. Lucky for everyone else I guess Phil is too nice of a guy for that.

I guess this is a perfect example of why we mods are or used to be pretty picky on the threads started here. We've slacked off because people whined and screamed, alot of us feel as if we're darned if we do and darned if we dont stop the threads created for heated discussions or debates. Unfortunately some people dont know how to debate without arguing or keeping the insults to themselves. Believe it or not when it comes to beliefs there is no right or wrong just different opinions and everyone has their own right to them and shouldnt have to deal with being told otherwise.

Where am I going with this?? Heck I dont know I seem to be rambling but I do know that Im getting pretty tired of people who are an asset to this site leaving because of people who like to post just to tick people off and insult them.

Sometimes I think people get a little overly sensitive. There are times I'm sure when most of us think "this is ridiculous... I'm leaving". I have certainly felt that way but I have to put things in perspective... it's just not that important. All in all I like it here and as frustrating as it is to see people go they have made a choice. I certainly will miss the opinions and advice of the "wise ones".

just remember one thing. text has no emotion attatched to it. so no matter what the subject, and no matter what manner it is meant in, it can be taken the wrong way. so, be careful on what you type out, and think it through.

I have said it many times, why have OT topics at all?
isnt this supposed to be a carnivorous plants forum?
why are we even discussing abortion or religion or stupid video games??
IMO, this forum would be MUCH better off if all non-CP topics were eliminated..
there are a billion gaming forums on the internet, and religion forums, and whatever forums, why do we need to discuss those things here??
I say make this a CP-only forum..would be a HUGE improvement IMO..

Scot

or..better yet,
maybe not an outright ban on ALL non-CP subjects,
thats too extreme.
because there is really nothing wrong with people discussing things about their lives, like RP's truck being stolen, or new jobs, or that kind of thing..
those kinds of topics make this forum interesting!

how about just a ban on 3 topics.
politics.
religion.
gaming.
(I really have nothing against the gaming threads, I just ignore them, but they do tend to invite flaming, and I see no reason to have them here.)

any topic related to those 3 things will be deleted instantly.
anything else is fair play.
how about a poll on this and have the forum members vote?
if the majority wants and welcomes such a change, then we could make it official.
Mods will be free to instantly delete threads on those controversial topics..
probably every thread that has ever been locked was because one of those 3 topics..why not just simply not have them here at all??
would make this forum SO much nicer..
thoughts?
Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 12 2005,1:16)]I do not mean to toot my own horn but I am fed up with the over run of this place with non CP junk. General forumsis just that but as Ram recently mentioned, it seems there are things started for the intent purpose of arguement. Holding your own opinion is one thing but having a sig that insults those with religions is another entirely, Christian or otherwise. I don't have a chip on my shoulder against kids, I have a problem with loud mouth children that want to argue BS with and adults that don't wanna grow up.
I totally agree. I had to take a couple months off during winter because it was so annoying. I hate politics and with the elections in Novemeber I felt I had to leave. I doubt if I could ever really leave for good *unless someone hits me with a rock and I totally forget about cp's when I wake up*. I have notice the past few years I have been here that these kinds of topics die during the Spring, Summer, and Fall. I hate to see you go, you seem like a very nice person.
smile_h_32.gif

just wanted to say in the kids defense that this is the general discussions section and the instructions are exactly "Open forum for any topics of conversation!" Maybe the mods should make a sticky banning certain subjects? i don't start the threads, i just respond in them and i don't find them annoying.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] A fetus and a parasite ? Thats why I am stayin out of this crap. Godless children telling people "how it is"
confused.gif

sorry to see yah go Joe, see yah on your forums.

Phil and Mods do what ever you feel is nessisary, you wont ge a complaint from me. as long as ppl such as Pyro, Nep G, PAK, Copper and all those others who make this forum great continue to post, i will be here. i understand how Joe fels completly, a couple snot nosed brats almost ran me off a couple of times but the great ppl i have delt with on this forum made me want to tuff out the twerps. as to the political and religion type disscutions, i ignore them. thats why i missed Tonys leaving. after the first 3 posts i paid no attention to the thread. though i suppose in the next election year Bruce and I will be debating again
smile_m_32.gif

Hi all

Although I am very sorry SIH felt he had to leave (as well as make a public announcement about it), its his choice.  Quite frankly I will never understand some people's need to publicly announce they're leaving.  Just leave, contact Phil if you wish.  Of course I would prefer he didn't leave but he has to do what's best for him.

For anyone else:  There is a very simple solution.  If you do not like what the Topic is about, you don't read it.  You don't participate in it.  Is this such a hard concept?

If you think the General Forum does not hold any topics that are of interest to you or you think its annoying, don't go there.  Stick to the Forums that appeal to you.

If you want JUST plant talk...do the plant forums.  If you want Community participation and chat...go to General.  Any topics you might find offensive, stay away from them.  Don't read them.  Don't post to them.  There are some who really enjoy a lively debate and there are some who find it annoying.

But the rule here is, no matter what or where you post, to keep things civil and respectful.  Any topic, anywhere, will get shut down if it turns ugly.

YOU, the membership, are in total control of where a topic goes and if it stays "alive" or not.  You know the rules.  You know the consequences.  Its in your hands.  Simple as that.

PAK said:
"For anyone else: There is a very simple solution. If you do not like what the Topic is about, you don't read it. You don't participate in it. Is this such a hard concept?"

Gosh, I was reading thru this about to say the same thing and here it is finally in the last post, lol. Pretty straight forward.
Have we had a mass Exodus here? I have noticed(for example in the Nepenthes forum) that there are not many posts from some of the "Master Growers" like in the past. Ch'ien Lee has not posted in a long time, and Rob Cantley is slowing down. I think Jeff Shafer is too. Maybe it's coincidence, but I was curious.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (trainspotting @ April 12 2005,1:38)]Im a kid superimspossed and im sorry my brethren have driven another older, wiser mind away.
my only sugestion is if you dont want kids giving you bs just ignore them, i'm sure youve noticed its the best way to really get them back. and i dont know who i stole this from but
"dont argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experiance."

later man, Chris
I think for most people it is hard ignoring BS. You do notice it, and it is common human interest to go "hey, what's this topic about?" and for some more than others it pisses them off when they see all the you know what.

This was his decision to leave, as with all the other people who have and will, and respect it we should. Goodbye Joe, see ya man.
smile.gif

The General Forums is the community life. And just like in a real-time community, there will be things you see that you don't like, things you hear you don't like and even people you meet you don't like. This is LIFE. Its not all fun and games and happiness ALLLLLL the time. People make mistakes; people get upset or mad; people have sad times and hardship. Its just easier to walk away from the not-so-pleasant things in an on-line community than it is a real-time community.

I don't use the word "real life" community because I belief this IS real life. Everyone here is a living, breathing and VERY real human being. We are simply separated by space. But brought together through this venue. We are all different and I think that's a blessing. But we all have a common love too--THE PLANTS.
smile.gif
And that's what brings us together and holds us together.

Like any "relationship", there are rough spots. But by and large this is the nicest, best group o' folk you could ever hope to know. I feel honored to be affiliated with this group.

This forum is like a buffet. You pick and choose what you like. You leave the rest. You wouldn't go to a buffet and say "Well, I don't really like brussel sprouts but they LOOK good so I'll eat them." And then complain about how bad they taste!

I read topics I don't care for or am not interested in. But I rarely post to them.

I do respect SIH's choice to leave. I'm very sorry he made that choice...I'd rather he not. But neither do I want to force anyone to stay where they don't want to be.

ok fellow netizens, since the topic is obviously swinging towards the appropriateness of topics, I am going to give you an update.

1) there are rules and mod policies posted in stickes at the top of general discussion, and they are generally ignored. If people had read them and lived by them, or simply remembered them lately, much of what happened in the last month would simply NOT have happened. So, we are going to work on taking some stickies down, we are also going to remove the ambiguity of some rules, and every mod and admin will have a link to those rules in their sig. That is in essence, as close to spamming something as you can get on these forums. When the rules go up, I think there will probably be a grace period of a couple weeks for everyone to adjust to it, and then a zero tolerance policy will be in effect for the usual stuff, and probably a 3 strikes policy for the little stuff.

Also, we are discussing the dissallowing of religion and politics threads, though none of us want to see breadth of conversation here narrowed, most of us I think feel it is past time for action like this. The decision is ultimately up to the owners... we will get backed to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back