What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp book being organised

Hey Everyone,
Here is my semi-monthly quest for more authors and photographers for the Cp book I am organizing. I would like to say that we have made remarkable progress. No-profit will be made but if the publisher (hopefully Timber Press) says one has to be made all money will go directly to the ICPS conservation effort to save CPs around the globe. You do get the pleasure of seeing your name and articles in print though. To date we have finished (minus adding photos):
Pinguicula, thanks Eric
D. binata
Utric intro + some species
Sarracenia (almost)
VFTs
Cephalotus
Drosophyllum

If you want more info (list of topics maybe) or would like to join please email (Treaqum1@yahoo.com) or Pm me.
Tre Bond

I'd like to offer the use of my photos in this book. Btw, who is writing it, or is this a collaboration effort?

Any and all of my photos may be used in the book, though i would like it if you gave acknowledgement to the photographer. Tell me the name of it once it comes out, i want one!

What kind of articles do you need for the book? Care tips, or info on the plant such as how it got it's name, and other stuff?

dude, i so want one when it comes out!

Hm, I'd love to do some photos for the book, but I don't have a wide variety of plants to photograph. Maybe I'll try with what I have and see if anything is worthwhile to you guys.

I'm going to check out a botanical garden soon that might have some nice CP's. Do I need permission from them to give you a photo I take of one of their plants?

Nope. Your photo. Just include what BG it came from. Cpers who see it will want to know. Yes accnoledgement will be given to the photographer.
If you go on CPUK I don't know who said it but someone said it got fired from being published, which is totally wrong since I have not yet submitted it.
We now have a larger section of Utrics done.
Photos that are lacking are:
Nepenthes
Sarracenia
Bromiliads
VFTs are especially needed
Heliamphora
Anything in the wild has priority, just FYI. Actually nice looking plants have priority. If you send in a whole set of Exera moth damage only expect one or two to be put in. Robert Gibson gave me a very nice CD filled with Drosera in the Wild in Au. Unfortunatly not all photos can be published. If we did that we would have the pictoral encycopedia of Cps.
Make sure the pictures you submit are yours not someone elses, fortunatly that was caught before.

Oh if anyone cares to proof read to make sure it's english let me know.
Tre
You can submit photos to Treaqum1@yahoo.com (please leave them in orignal format as we don't know how big they will be yet). Or you can mail a CD or disk to me. So pm me for my addy

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ April 14 2005,9:40)]If we did that we would have the pictoral encycopedia of Cps.
which I hope is the next project!

Well we would need a ton more people aand quite a bit more technical. If you own "The Carnivorous Plants" or even "Insectivorous Plants" it would end up being somehting like that. ("The Carnivorous Plants" is not even readable). Although for the technical types words like stolons, and a decent description of the Utric trap at a cellular level was based on Darwin's works. Some other stuff will be along. But we do have quite a bit of info for the rest of the world dealing with cultivation and so on. Some sections of several genus are mostly the same but quite a bit of history is included in everything. Well I mean a paragraph or two when known. But that's just because some of us find it interesting and inspiring.

Would some-one mind telling me is U. negelcta the same as U. gibba?
Tre

According to the ICPS plant database:

N: +[Utricularia australis {R.Br.}]
P: Prodr.Fl.Nov.Holl.:430 (1810)
T: Tas., AU, R.Brown s.n. (BM)
CLA: AST-SCR-LEN-UTR-UTR-UTR
L: IE, GB, FR, ES, PT, BE, NL, DE, DK, NO, SE, FI, RU, PL, CZ, SK, HU, CH, IT, SI, HR, YU, RO, BG, TR, MA, DZ, MR, SD, CD, UG, KE, TZ, RW, ZM, ZA (Transvaal, Natal), IQ, IR, YE, AF, PK, IN, LK, MM, NP, BT, CN, TW, KP, KR, JP, ID (Sumatra, Java, N.Guin.), PH, AU, NZ

LFR:

2:
Atlantic Europe
149:
?New Zealand N South Is.

XN: (36, 38, 40) {Reese} ut [Utricularia neglecta {Lehm.}], 44 {Casper & Manitz}
XNP: Ber.Dt.Bot.Ges.64:250 (1952), Feddes Repert.86:218 (1975)

So I'd say no, it's not the same as U. gibba

I think I have some pictures of Venus Fly Traps you could use. I have quite a few Drosera pictures that you could use as well. You mentioned that you already had some of them in the wild, but I have many nice closeups of the plants if you want to show that kind of picture as well.

If you are using word to put this book together, that is going to be quite the task........If you need a graphic designer to put the book together for you, I may be able to help, but I couldn't do it for free. That would be alot of hours on top of a job that I already put in alot of hours......and don't get paid for overtime work
confused.gif

Let me know!
smile.gif

Thanks for that info. I could not remember.
Word seems to be okay now. The only problem will be page numbers but I think that can be easily fixed. I have someone already who is looking at the layout and making sure it is readable.

You can use any of my photos, if you want photos of one plant in partcular pm me, I can also contribute some info if you want

Back