What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am upset.

I had one parent who spanked me, but also talked to me about things like I was a human being.

I had another parent who rarely spanked, but barked orders to me without explaining why these things had to be done, like training a pet.

I'm 10x closer now to the one who spanked.

Guys... lay off of SS. He said he spanked her, not beat her. I don't think it's wrong as long as it doesn't actually REALLY hurt the child. I was spanked when I was little for stuff. I don't think that was wrong, even though alot of the other stuff my grandparents do is wrong... but the spanking was OK. I never was really bothered by pain, so it's not like it scarred me for life.

If he had spanked her just for picking flowers without knowledge of it being wrong, then that would be wrong. But apparently she was told before not to do it, so she knew she wasn't supposed to, but she did it anyway. Then a spank isn't wrong. I guess I could apply what I know about horsemanship to this.. horses are exactly like small children. If they misbehave and you don't discipline them, then they know they got away with it and they'll do it again. If a horse kicks or bites at you, a smack is necessary and it's OK, because it's discipline.

My 25 cents. Now where's my soda?

but she is only THREE

then agian i'm only 15 and not a parent, but still. my parents are the touchy-feely kind, so i guess thats the way I was raised.

I think the spanking was fine...
She was warned not to touch the plants and she did it and she lied. By spanking her you were being a parent. I'm tired of people who are trying to be their kids freinds you can't be a parent and a friend.

Discipline does NOT impart moral values, and vice versa.  They are 2 very different things.  

You can be very disciplined and completely and totally amoral.  Ken Lay?  Jeffrey Dahmer?  The 9/11 hijackers?  Adolph Hitler?  Lt. William Calley? These were/are VERY disciplined and methodical people.  They had goals, and they focused on them with laser beam intensity, devotion and discipline.  

I'd rather have moral children, thank you.  Morals come first.  Discipline can come later....and it's something that most toddlers are incapable of. Toddlers are all about the Id.  A 3 year old is old enought to know don't touch means don't touch.  But most 3 year olds lack the discipline to follow through on not touching! After all..you've just pointed out something really attractive to them

I still think your swat was justified, though.  

Take your daughter out for an ice-cream cone. Talk to her about how much she means to you, and that you like your plants, too, and want them to grow up and have "kids" of their own. Maybe make her your partner in caring for them?  get her an itty bitty watering can. Talk to your wife about why you did what you did.  Use "I" statements!~  Take her out to dinner.  Dinner and flowers always works for me, LOL!  This was minor...I doubt your daughter will remember the punishment, but she will remember the lesson, unless she's just plain stubborn, like I was.  April

My mom is my best friend.*Niki*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 17 2005,4:21)]Gosh, that's never happened to me before! NOT! Seriously, humbly, go talk to your wife. Ask her how she feels it ought to have been handled. Seek forgiveness. See if your daughter is okay with you picking her up and holding her. Ask for forgiveness. It is better to have a healed relationship than to prove yourself right in less than black & white scenarios.
Oh, I know the kids are already OK.

I've never spanked my kid, who's approaching 12 now, but my wife has a few times.  I don't really trust my judgement to keep it right, so don't start down that path.  But it isn't reasonable to expect a 3-year old to remember those kind of instructions.  I say it more to protect your plants than to protect the kid.  Kid's brains don't work like ours, so keep the plants away from the kid for now.

The bottom line is, a young person must be taught right from wrong early. Spanking is perfectly fine, its human nature to impose a little pain in discipline. Big deal, shes three, she'll learn early on not to do that again, unless she wants another spankin. Mental discipline is also good, ie: talking it out, but I believe that only works when a human is much older and able to comprehend words.

I was spanked...nothing wrong with it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 17 2005,6:16)]Discipline does NOT impart moral values, and vice versa.  They are 2 very different things.  
I said they go hand in hand, not that they were the same thing.

I still don't think discipline and morals go hand in hand, vis a vis the reasons I stated. A person can be very undisciplined and really moral(have a look a Jimmy Baker, or any televangelist), or very disclipined and very amoral. and everything in between.

But I still think you were right. April

confused.gif

I shall refrain from commenting on this topic. Every time a topic like this arises, SOMEONE gets banned, i learned to sniff them out, and stay away from them. See you elsewhere.

Actually, the bottom line is this:

Spanking is a choice every parent makes wether to do or not. You are perfectly welcome to your your own beliefs on this, but you have no right to condemn Scott for choosing to spank his child.

I think he laid it out perfectly in his first post. She was aware of the consequences and did it anyway, he did not over react and leave bruises, he gave her 'love taps'. There is no question of abuse or beating here, the only thing that seems to be on almost everyones minds, is whether it is right or wrong to spank a 3 year old.

If you think it's wrong, that is fine, but don't go acting like Scott did something atrocious. That is simply judging him, which you don't have the right to do.

It sort of amazes me...

we look at spanking as a bad thing now.

HELLO! Has *ANYONE* Seen how young people act now adays?! Even my generation (late 20's early 30's) act like fools cuz they weren't whooped every once and a while.

It's part of the parental duty to make sure the kids learn right from wrong... otherwise you have a bunch of demons running around being obnoxious and breaking stuff.

Whether you believe in physical punnishment or not --- SOMETHING needs to be done (and usually, I might add, just the thought of my father whoopin' me with a belt was enough to make me shape up).

Kids are way over the line now adays In my opinion, large in part because parents are afraid or unwilling to physically spank their own kids! C'mon guys, it's HARDLY abuse when you're molding the life long behavior of your child.

You're doing them a favor!

Oh wait.. who was the person that hasn't ever been spanked? Bring it on... i have a HUGE wooden paddle for you
smile.gif

I was spanked plenty in my younger days... (I'm 25 now) I deserved every one of them. I have friends that were never spanked... And I can see where their actions would show this. I believe in spankings... And plan on doing it myself when nessasary. I would say I am a good guy now. And it had lots to do with the punishments of what I did.
Andrew

P.S. I didn't read this whole topic..,. infact only the last 2 responses.. But this is my feeling on spankings. I'm sorry your VFTs flowers were picked.
smile_h_32.gif
There will be another year. And with the spanking... I bet the flower all the way next year.
smile_m_32.gif

Think of spanking as aversion therapy and a memory improvement. It worked that way for me. I was very averse to spankings, unless it was one of my brothers getting it
smile_s_32.gif
, and it improved my memory on things not to do 100% .

I was caught smoking in the school restroom by a Jesuit Priest.  No words.  No muss.  No fuss.  An unannounced left to the solar plexus cured me and I never smoked again.  Thank you Farther Kinser.

Ya mean we can't beat'em wit sticks?? Well, there goes my hobby.

Back