What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need photos of growth points

[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ June 09 2005,2:31)]Food processor? Well yeah thatll work just fine unlike the blender where I was thinkin youd be making some disgusting slurpee or something. what works best when you use that method though is to take all of the peices you chopped up and soak them in a mixture of superthrive and water for a day. After that put them in a bag and toss in about a quarter cup of rooting powder and a bit of the superthrive mixture (not too much or the powder wont stick) and shake it up itll look a bit like S. cole slaw. then go outside and toss it where you want it to grow then put down a fine layer of sphagnum peat over it all so it doesnt dry out in the sun. normally though its best to do after the first frost though Im hoping its not too late into the growing season.
I've heard of this before! I think it's called the shake and bake method!
smile_m_32.gif

I wasn't familiar with the Shake & bake method. Thank you so much for sharing that with me, I really appreciate it. I do have SuperThrive here that I bought from PetFlyTrap.com and I also have some Rootone. The addition of both to the mix make a lot of sense to me. Cool, I think I'll go and experiment on a small S. puprurea later on this fall right after the first frost. I still don't quite understand why that time of year as opposed to now though but just as well as all the kids start back to school after Labor Day so the timing is ideal.

I'm sorry Laura, let me clarify. The shake and bake method is using Unknownclown's technique now--they will bake in the sun, but you may force some intial growth. After the frost is the frozen fruit coolee method, otherwise known as 'coarse tissue stratification' in techincal parlance. Happy experimenting!

What, it's not April 1st yet!

I'm confused.

confused.gif

Oh, goodness…blender Sarrs!  On a whim,  I made a batch last week and I’m seeing sprouting already.  I used a food processor on “pulse”, though, because I figured high speed blenderising would damage the cell structure in the leaves.  So I ended up with chunks of leaves about ¼” square or so.  Poured the mess into a small pot containing peat/rinsed sand mixture, put the whole shebangabang into a gallon size zip-lock and waited.  

There was a lot of pitcher plant left over in the food processer , so I added a cup of basil, 4 cloves of garlic, a little sea-salt and cracked pepper, pine nuts, some olive oil, and blended into a paste. VOILA!  Pitcher pesto!  Rubbed the pesto on some chicken, under the skin and baked covered in a 425 degree oven for 40 minutes.  Yum!

Oh all of this information is absolutely great.  I am looking forward to assembling a "guide" for the kids that will include everyone's propagation techniques. It will truly be an invaluable asset in the classroom when the kids get ready to divide a few Sarrs they have this coming fall.

You guys are all the best!  Keep the techniques and photos coming! I've got lots of space in the new classroom "guide".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 09 2005,5:44)]I wasn't familiar with the Shake & bake method.
PLease do not read into this method any more than whats posted. absolutely DO NOT under any circumstances bake what you plan on growing! heat is bad when the plant(s) are in this state.

Laura, I'm getting ready to whip up a blender full of Oreophila Mai Tais. You in? AprilBL

Well, I originally posted to get the attention of one person who refused to give me the satisfaction of posting in this thread whom I know is sitting back laughing his rear end off right about now. I had no idea so many people lurked in these seemingly insignificant threads or I would have never joked around like that. Sorry.

Nobody who posted here has placed anything but spores in their blenders or their food processors.

Well, I guess now that I have everyone's attention I might as well take the opportunity to ask for help again. I really am trying to put together a "guide" for the kids at the school. I'd like to have a few more photographs of how exactly to divide CPs. Actually anything in a visual form would be great. The kids don't start back to school until after Labor Day so I've got time on my side. I think they only have about 3 Sarrs that will need to be divided but it is a start.

Any helpful pointers that anyone can add to accompany their photographs would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I about bust a gut when I read the Shake and Bake propagation tip.  I laughed so hard my husband had to come in and see what I was laughing at.

And April, your Oreophila Mai Tais sound great.  I like those whoosie Mike's Hard Lemonades though so could you change that to an Oreonade please? An Oreoinfandel would be fine thought too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 09 2005,5:44)]I still don't quite understand why that time of year as opposed to now though but just as well as all the kids start back to school after Labor Day so the timing is ideal.
I was going with the potato/veggie theory
smile_m_32.gif

If you put out a chopped up potato or carrot outside in the warm weather it would rot alot sooner than in the fall where its cooler and would stay a bit crispier..... haha or somethin like that
smile_n_32.gif

Hey Laura I seen your post on the webserve, I will send you a bunch of photos of growth points that could be divided. Most Sarr's but a few VFT's. You should get them in the next couple of days.

Thank you wolf9striker!  I need photos by September so figured I'd start asking now. I've got some from Kirk and now I'll have some from you!

Here are a few for you Laura.

Darlingtonia californica
Darlingtoniacalifornica.jpg

S. rubra jonesii
a37715c2.jpg

S. leucophylla
Sleucophylla.jpg

S. oreophila
S.jpg

P. gypsicola
Pgypsicola.jpg

N. trichocarpa
Ntrichocarpa.jpg

Edit: Sorry about the size, and maybe I should have used a better color then red.

Laura, that would work. Go for it!

Yes, they were all wonderful weren't they!  I am thrilled, absolutely thrilled.

Hi,
Those are great photos,wish my camera took photos that clear.
Regards

Yes, great photos.  I have them saved. I want to bump this as I could still use some more. If anyone is out there dividing plants, please think of me if you have a camera.

Thanks, Laura

Back