What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidifier

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I was told to get an Ultrasonic Humidifier for my mini greenhouse since I was frying everything in there,so I called around and no one has an ultrasonic one,nor do they know what it is(neither do I,lol)I asked if they had just regular humidifiers and they said oh yeah.So now my question is,since I can't get an ultrasonic one,which would be a good one to get?They range in price from $30-$140Canadian.I really don't want to spend TOO much on one.So what would I look for in a humidifier?Any help would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif
Thanks! *Niki*(Trapper7)

I use this one in my mini green house cool mist humidifier.

I have mine indoors though so I don't know if it would pose any problems outdoors.

Well it doesn't sound so awesome right now unfortunetly,everything inside it is dead
smile_h_32.gif
Except the Sundews I killed like almost 2 months ago,they came back to life!All three of them!I just put them in my greenhouse and voula!
laugh.gif
So I'm happy about that.I will post pics when I get the humidifier on Wednesday.Maehem,thanks for the info,but since yours is inside I don't know if it will do the job since mine is outside.Any other comments from other people?Thanks guys
biggrin.gif
*Niki*

Anybody??I'm gonna go get one on Wednesday so I need advice
smile_n_32.gif
*Niki*

Simply put. You need one that has a very high output. aka- high water usage. I was running 2 ultrasonic and one evaporative and it couldn't keep up in my green house. but then again... I live in the desert.
smile_n_32.gif
So, find the one with the most output and that would be the best decission. The one I use now is 2 Gal per hour fogger.
smile_s_32.gif

Andrew

my advice is that you dont need any humdifier at all..
a greenhouse will naturally keep in some mositure, which will raise the humidity higher than the level outside..
so by its very nature, a greenhouse will naturally raise humidity.

if you were frying plants, the problem is lack of ventilation, not lack of humidity.
you need more ventilation or you need to cut down the sunlight, maybe add shade cloth..I dont see extra humidity fixing anything..
that isnt the solution to the problem.

you only need extra humidity for some nepenthes,
if you are dealing only with VFTs, sundews and/or sarracenia, they grow fine outside of greenhouses, the humidity inside a greenhouse will be a little higher, which will still be fine for them.
if they grow fine outside of a greenhouse, ("normal" outdoor humidity")
and they also grow fine inside a greenhouse, (slightly higher humidity than outdoors)
then I see no need to add extra humidity inside a greenhouse..
you dont need a tropical steamy rainforest in there..

dont see the point.
I dont think you need one at all.
if its above 60 degrees (15C) outside just open the thing wide-open, let the breeze blow straight through it, open the top and sides completely.
you only need to use the greenhouse to conserve heat if its 30-50 (0-10C) degrees outside..if its warmer than that the greenhouse will become an oven if you dont open it up..thats the solution..not more humidity.

actually, if its above 60F (15C) the plants would be better off outside the greenhouse than inside it.

what plants are you growing in it?

Scot

Scot-I have 2 N.fusca's(that are probably dead now)1 N.copelandii(and getting 2 more in a couple weeks)1 Judith Hindle,and 3 Sundews.I can't take the sides and top off the greenhouse cause it's basically a 4 level metal shelf with a clear plastic cover over it that has a large door opening in the front that you can zip up.So now what I have been doing is leaving it unzipped all the way in the day time.I zip it back up at night.The reason they suggested a humidifier is cause I have Neps and they were being fried from the sun.I need something to keep the sun out cause I have no shade to move the greenhouse too_Ok so now do I need a humidifier or not??I'm confused here
smile_n_32.gif
*Niki*

Niki,
hmmm..ok, well Neps complicates it..
you are in Canada right?
you would probably be better off trying to grow the neps indoors.
your seasons (and mine, I might as well live in Canada, im 70 miles from Niagara Falls) are REALLY variable.
negative 20 C in the winter to 35C in the summer, with everything inbetween..
Neps would be better off with a more stable, constant environment.
Can this greenhouse be moved indoors and put in a window somehow?
for VFTs, Sarrs and most drosera you dont need the greenhouse anyway..yes it would be usefull for Neps, and yes a humidifier might be good for them too,
depending on the species, but a small greenhouse outdoors isnt going to be very stable, it will heat up and cool off very quickly..which could be worse for you plants than no greenhouse at all.

I think for neps you need a much more stable environment..nearly constant temp and humidity, all year long.
I dont think your outdoor greenhouse is going to give you that.

If it were me, I would either move the greenhouse indoors at a bright window if possible, or leave the greenhouse outdoors, use it for VFTs and Sarrs, and leave it wide open during the day and only close it up if its going to be cold at night. (like 0-5C)

I still think the humidity is the least of your problems if you want to grow neps in a small greenhouse outdoors in Canada..
sorry, but I dont think its the right setup for that.
Scot

Unfortunetly I have no room for the g-house inside,and even if I did there is no window that I could put it by.I don't know what to do now,I just ordered 2 more N.copelandii's.I can't keep the Neps inside,for the same reason,no window
smile_h_32.gif
WHAT DO I DO NOW??So should I still get a humidifier and some of that green shade stuff to keep the sun out?Yes I live in BC Canada.I need help,please help me.I want my plants to live!
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif
*Niki*

well where do you plan to keep your neps in the winter?
obviously they will need to be indoors somewhere..

just put them in that spot now!  
smile.gif

you will only be able to grow neps that can live in normal indoor home conditions without special treatment.
Like N. coccinea or other "easy" hybrids.
there are several that can thrive indoors with no special treatment at all..just stick them in any window and away they go.
If you want to grow neps that need special temp and humidity requirements, like picky hothouse lowlanders, sorry..but you simply cant do it with the growing space you have right now.

Scot

Um...to be honest Scot I never thought about where I'm going to put them in the winter
confused.gif
I know,I'm a bad plant mom
smile_h_32.gif
I figured they could stay outside in the g-house and I would put some sort of heating device in there.I feel like such an idiot!There is no room for my plants on the window sill.It's just not possible.I guess I better stop buying Neps then.Thanks for the advice. *Niki*<--The bad plant mom!
confused.gif

I got my humidifier yesterday cause my other two N.copelandii's are arriving tomorrow,so hopefully they will survive.Here's a dumb question...do I have to keep the humidifier on all night?If yes,what happens if it runs out of water,will it break down?It's a 2 and a half Litre one.Thanks
smile.gif
Oh btw I bought a thermometer and it was 30 degrees C in there,but then when I got the humidifier going it went down to 20. *Niki*
smile.gif

Could someone please answer my last question soon cause I have to go to bed soon and I need to know if I should turn it off or not.Sorry I'm not trying to be pushy but I need to know this cause I don't want to mess this up as well,lol.If I don't get an answer tonight then I will shut it off cause I'm scared it will run out of water and then it will ruin the humidifier.Thanks
smile.gif
*Niki*

It depends on the humidifier. Most ultasonic humidifiers have a sensing device that automatically shuts off the humidifier if the water level gets too low. Cool mist and 'wick' type humidifiers won't be harmed if they are run dry.

Does this help?

Niki,
I would turn it off at night.
the air is cooler at night, which will naturally raise the humidity anyway..

im still not sure what good the humidifier is going to do when you need to have the sides and top open all summer! ;)
but I suppose it cant hurt...

have you ever posted a photo of your greenhouse?
I would like to see what it looks like!
smile.gif

Scot

Thanks guys.It's not an ultrasonic humidifier,it's just a regular one.Everytime I asked for an ultrasonic one they all looked at me fuuny and ask"Um...what do you mean by ultrasonic ma'am?" *Niki*

Okay, to clarify things a little here. The humidifyer will help for 2 reasons 1) I know the greenhouse you are talking about, standard mini greenhouse availble at places like walmart. they are far from airtight and as the tempuratue rises in there the humdity drops. 2) Evaporation causes cooling. Again these greehouses are far from airtight so there is a fair bit of circulation anyway... moving damp air.. that's going to have a cooling effect.

I do have one question though. By "regular type" do you mean a steam humidifyer or a cool mist?

And Scott, not to start an argument but I have to tell you that you are making some pretty broad generalizations there. No way I could grow ANY cp without an enclosure and a pretty airtight enclosure at that. RH averages 10% indoors and out around here.

I'm pretty sure it's a cool mist.I think that's what it said on the box.*Niki*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maehem @ May 02 2005,6:03)]And Scott, not to start an argument but I have to tell you that you are making some pretty broad generalizations there. No way I could grow ANY cp without an enclosure and a pretty airtight enclosure at that. RH averages 10% indoors and out around here.
10%?!
in Calgary??
hmmm..that cant be right.
about the only place that dry in all of North America is parts of Arizona and California, deserts.
Calgary isnt a desert.
maybe you are a little drier than most of NA..is it the elevation?
still..your humidity shouldnt be much diferent than say..Chicago..average.
10% is amazingly dry.

hmmmm..
here we go, according to this, the record for lowest humidity  in Calgary was 22%.
it has never been drier than 22% in Calgary in..
(well, in the last 5 years..thats the timespan for that collection site in the link below.)
Record high humidity was 97%.
average is 47%.
that sounds pretty normal.
ok, maybe slightly drier than normal.
but certaintly not 10%..

You can grow VFTs and Sarrs outside just fine.
yes, if we are talking about certain Neps then I agree you need an enclosure for higher humidity.
but thats an exception, and thats into the realm of "indoor-only, greenhouse/hothouse" CPs anyway..
im talking about regular "simple" CPs..VFTs and Sarrs..not exotics.

http://www.nishiyama.tzo.com/weather/extremes.php

and..im giving Niki advice for where she lives.
I was only talking to her, and about her specific situation.
She lives in Ontario.
I live 30 minutes from Ontario.
Her climate is identical to mine.
we are both in the Great Lakes Basin..
She doesent need a greenhouse to grow CPs outdoors in the summer. I know that, because I live where she does.
thats all im telling her.
its not a "generalization" to give advice for a specific person in a specific place for a specific situation..if you know what you are talking about..

Scot

Back