What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Priority mail

I need to ship a plant.
I go to the PO and try to get a priority mail box(they are supposed to be free from what I've been told by people here and elsewhere) and they give me one of thise boxes like you would send documents or something in. I told them that isn't going to work, I have a live plant to ship. Then they bring out another box, this time it's the right shape to put a plant in. It doesn't look like the boxes that I recieved plants in, and they wanted to charge me for it. Then they try to sell me a stack of 50 boxes
mad.gif
I left and came home and got a box that one of my plants came in.
Anyway, how do you guys get your boxes for free? it's not like I ship hundreds of plants so I don't need a big stack of them. maybe it's because I live in San Diego, where everyone tries to make a quick buck and everything costs more that anywhere else in the country. I think I will go and dig my old boxes out of the dumpster now.....

Try ordering them online, they ship them to your house for free if the post office doesn't have them. My place has tons of them sitting around.

They ARE supposed to have free boxes. Not as much of a selection at the post office as they used to have. Now its usually just two--the "video tape" size or the larger flat box. Other sizes they have online which you can order free. Do not confuse these free boxes (Priority) with the regular, plain shipping boxes they *sell* there. The plain boxes you pay for...Priority boxes are free.

You can order them online (more size selection) but I've heard it takes a while to get them and you have order in large lots. But they are delivered to your door.

they do have free boxes, a few different sizes too. I have a bunch at the house right now. just go in and ask. you can also get them online shipped free to your house as suzanne said

I have wondered this myself, how people send me nice 10" square Priority boxes(or the nice bigger one Tony uses) and all my post office has is the ones PAK mentioned: video tape and the larger flat box. I got a Heli once in the video box wet and smashed.
What they will give you for free(here at least) is a booklet of Priority stickers, where you can slap one on a normal box from anywhere. You can also buy $3.85 Priority stamps, and if you know it's going to be 1# or under, with the stamp and sticker, you don't even have to go to the post office.

Cheers,

Joe

I ordered a pack of boxes online too because the local PO doesn't always have them. I recycle so many boxes that I've only used a few of the new ones. But it's nice to know I have them.

Browbeat the Post Office. They can get the boxes. I have conditioned my local PO to have the free boxes for Priority Mail on the public table. For me, the best ones are
Item No: O-1096S (8.625" x 5.375" x 1.625")
Item No: O-1096L (9.25" x 6.25" x 2")
Item No: O-BOX4 (7" x 7" x 6")
But there are other sizes. You can find the sizes at
http://shop.usps.com/cgi-bin....ty+Mail

We can get the square boxes but you have to request them. IF you send enough pacages you get to know one of the postal workers who will hold them for you (since people snap them up like crazy).

Back