What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very, very good news

• Thread starter aprilh
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tweek @ April 30 2005,1:57)]The Florida panther is an example of an animal that has such a reduced gene pool. They even have a genetic trait that most/all have a crook in their tail. Last time I read about them, other panthers were being used to strengthen the gene pool.

The African cheetah is so inbred that there DNA is almost identical. They have all sorts of health problems. This was supposed to be some historical incident were their numbers were so reduced that inbreeding resulted.

I think the bison was hunted by man, but this was an attempt  to eliminate the Native American's food supply. Not in any history book - just my line of thinking on the subject.

BTW, the Ivory Bill will be found in other areas. Shhhhhhh!

Tweek
Yes don't blame the extinction of The American Buffalo on hunters... That was government work. And AprilH There is a big difference between market hunters and actual hunters then just carrying guns and shooting things. Market hunters don't care about the creatures they exterminate. They aren't in it for the sport or the food etc. They are in it for the money so they would kill and kill until they made all the money they could and then move onto the next species where as actual trueblood hunters care about their species and want them to procreate and thrive etc because without them there would be no sport. Yes they are similar in that they do similar things but that's like saying a murderer and an executioner are the same thing when they are not. As was stated hunters are responsible for putting Market Hunters out of business and saving the animals.

Tweek, from what I have read on an endangered animal list that I belong to, the original reason cheetahs numbers got so low at one time was distemper.  However, they have recently begun showing some genetic variation again.  

Western Pumas have been introduced into the gene pool of the Florida panther, as they are the same species.  Aprilh

conservation
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Interior and Agriculture departments would set aside $10 million this year for the "Corridor of Hope" conservation plan, supplementing private funding, Norton said. The "Corridor of Hope" refers to the Big Woods of Arkansas, an area about 120 miles (192 kilometers) long and up to 20 miles (32 kilometers) wide in eastern Arkansas where the bird was sighted.

Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said landowners in the area could become eligible for $13.5 million in rental payments over the next 15 years to maintain the trees that ivory-billed woodpeckers use as their habitat.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7666344/

I wish I could discover a new species of a previously thought extinct branch of organisms :p kind of like a caelocanth or however you spell it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]“This area was once the largest expanse of forested wetlands in the country, originally consisting of 21 million acres of bottomland hardwood forests. Today, only 4.9 million acres remain, mostly in scattered woodland patches,” the Nature Conservancy says on its Web site.
stop having kids people!

Well, I don't think these tracts were logged to make subdivisions...they were logged for the value of the lumber. It is, after all a big swamp...might be hard to put houses there. Aprilh

Tweek,

Do you know something we don't? I hope so.

the more people there are, the more lumber you need.

Is the "Corridor of Hope" anything like the "Clear Skies" initiative? If so...I shudder to think of the ramifications of the "corridor of hope"

Aprilh,

The Florida panther(Puma concolor coryi) and the Texas Cougar(Puma concolor stanleyana) are two different subspecies of mountain lion. They are not the same.

Their historic ranges overlapped and their was an exchange of genetic material that kept the combined gene pools viable.

Loss of habitat is a major reason of their decline.

Many species today face the same problem along with an even more problematic causation; even in areas of seemingly suitable habitats. This would be habitat fragementation. This is a concern of the losses being seen with Bobwhite quail.

Panther Facts

It is interesting that there are only two locations of known IBWs currently. Have hope Aprilh, there are sure to be more.:;):

Tweek

See alpha this is why I beleve in the 1 child per person idea.

Tweek...

That's the reason that I thought that there were no major genetic differences between the Florida Panther and the regular western Panther. They were originally known as Painters..which evolved into panthers, and because of hunting and fragmented habitat..they became known as mountain lions. The range of Pumas was originally over the entire US. Therefore...the genetic material, while similar, was pretty well and healthily mixed. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

A couple of mountain lions have been spotted in NE Illinois. I am thrilled, but wary when I go on hikes...I'm a lot slower than a deer. I always bring pepper spray when I go out hiking here, more for the people danger than Puma danger, though.

Fragmented habitat is a big problem in the wild today. You got some bushes here, a few over there, another few over there...they'd do more good if they were connected!~ Lots of places are starting to catch on to this concept, though. The "Greenbelt" movement. AprilH

alont time ago some empires prevented convicted criminals from breeding by castrating them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]stop having kids people!

good idea. you first.

People are not going to give up their dreams of having a kid. The 1 child rule wont work her because is a democracy and things like that wont fly here. Luckaly our population is going twards the trend of 1 child per family without any rules. Add th next global epedemic into play and that might keep the population steady.

See SARS isn't that bad (I mean if you take the effect it is having on limiting the amount of people). Actaully what is really needed is another plague or war. Oh wait I am glad the president is on the second one. Good we don't have to worry about that anymore. Next topic Ivorybill resdicovered.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]good idea. you first
I'm not going to stop having kids because i've never had any kids :p
but I'm not planning on ever having kids.

you probabl will change your mind in time with the right person

that's what everyone's told me since I was like 6. (before that I wanted to have 10 kids... LOL)
I don't buy it.

SARS is horrible.  Your bigger worry will be if bird flu comes here..70% fatality rate.  oh, and another one...the hemmoragic fevers (ebola, and others)85% fatality rate.  

Ok, everybody has to die.  I'm not sure I want to go the way of the above mentioned.  Vomiting up your liver does not sound pleasant.

Alpha, you may decide, in the future, that you want kids.  It's a personal choice.  When I was your age, everybody told me I'd want kids.  I disagreed.  I wanted to adopt...didn't want to go thru the PG thing, AND I am a musician, and sometimes it involves some travel.  It's much harder when there are children involved, and I didn't want to give up my ability to go where I want, when I want.  I put a lot of thought into this, the pros and cons. So, in the end, I thought it best if I didn't have any children.  

Some people change their minds, some don't.   Nothing wrong with either...though I sure wish people would think it out more, sometimes.  AprilH/aka Killer

and don't get me wrong, I do want *cough cough*... just not kids :p
I don't see me changing my mind in the future. If anything I'll adopt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Your bigger worry will be if bird flu comes here..70% fatality rate. oh, and another one...the hemmoragic fevers (ebola, and others)85% fatality rate.
ACtually it mutated in North Vietnam adn other places (I think it is only mainly in North Vietnam now) to become only 20% lethal (but it is Vietnam, not many meds there) and more contagous. It is in this week's Science. I think the study went that the more contagous it is (only to with in the family for now) the less lethal it will become (in theory).
I wouln't want to adopt but I will only have 1 child since hte adults should alwasy outnumber the children. Of course the othre option is to go old fashioned Mormon adn start a Brothel but that will certainly not happen b/c of various reasons but also I don't think it is right.

Back