What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very, very good news

• Thread starter aprilh
  • Start date
http://www.birdlife.org/news/news/2005/04/ivory-billed.html

Very cool....The ivory billed woodpecker was one of the animals sometimes discussed in cryptozoology circles. Looks like we'll have to stop talking about it now!

Aww crap I did not know someone already posted this. I must have skipped over your post. Amazing. I wonder if Luis found out yet?

Cool, maybe soon there will be enough to open a hunting season for them.
smile_m_32.gif

Isn't that amazing!  I can't wait to see a photo.  I just hope the area where it's been spotted doesn't get overrun by anxious, well-meaning birders and scientists who scare it off for another 50 years!

Heck, I've been stalking a pair of pileated in the woods where I live for 3 years just to get a decent picture. They aren't at all cooperative!

Now, if someone will just spot the Vietnamese warty pig, nendo tube-nosed fruit bat, the dark and the dusky flying foxes, the Tasmanian wolf, the pigfooted bandicoot or Przewalski's horse....

smile.gif

I saw it now!
that's GREAT! I had always had hope for the ivory-billed woodpecker
biggrin.gif
I wish carolina parakeets weren't extinct... but I don't have much hope for them.
I also have hope for tasmanian tigers. It would be awsome if they were still out there.

LOL, Luna,

I spotted the prezwalski's horse last time I went to Brookfield zoo! A whole herd of them. And Pere David's deer, too!

The report of these Ivory Billed Woodpeckers still being alive really made my day. I can't even describe it. I got a little misty eyed a few times. Aprilh

Oh, BTW, Luna...there is or was until recently, a program to revive the Tasmanian Wolf going on in Australia...they had all these Wolf pups preserved in formaldehyde, but the last I heard, the DNA was too degraded to work with. One of the scientists involved in the venture said the only reason they couldn't do it was our technology is not quite advanced enough yet...but in 10 years, it will be. April H.

Tre,

I think Ozzy was just being ironic....

for what its worth. "hunting seasons" or more aptly hunters are the ones who have saved pronghorns, mule deer and most any thing to do with bighorn sheep and their subspecies. its hunters behind the reintroduction of elk to many states. right now its hunters, not green peace types saving the elephant and black rhino in Africa. say what you will about hunters but the most of us are a quite decent lot who are EXTREAMLY interested in keeping animals and their habitat around. here in the states it was hunters who saw the declining deer populations in the early part of this century and it was hunters that insisted, demanded and created "hunting seasons". right now its basically hunters in control of them too. and now we probably have more whitetail deer in this country than at ANY point in history, including before the "native americans" showed up.

i think its cool the found these woodpeckers again but it was my understanding they were never very common to begin with. very low population densities naturally and just not that many period. kinda easy for a species like that to be wiped out by mother nature or man.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Oh, BTW, Luna...there is or was until recently, a program to revive the Tasmanian Wolf going on in Australia...they had all these Wolf pups preserved in formaldehyde,
lol. tasmanian wolf? *snickers*
it's tasmanian tiger! You've been thinking of me too much
smile_n_32.gif

and just to clarify, they're not tigers. They're marsupials related to tasmanian devils.

ratteler who pushed the bighorn sheep, bison, pronghorn, and elk from those states in the firstplace so conservation of them was needed? u kind of left out a important part there,

This is totaly unexpected, as the species *used* to be noisy and conspicuous, and so little hope was held out for it. It seems selective presure selected the most quiet and shy to survive.

tasmanian wolf
smile_m_32.gif

Kudos to the presedent for acting quickly to impliment conservation mesures and the goverment for donating money to conserve the species- this is totaly out of character

Rattler,

While I agree with you that hunters were and are responsible for making naturally abundant species even more abundant, they have also driven some species to extinction...the passenger pigeon, Carolina Parakeet and others.  

The passenger pigeon was extirpated due to "market hunting" and habitat destruction.  Everytime a new passenger pigeon nesting site was located...hunters would show up and kill everything they could...There are many, many personal accounts of dead passenger pigeons being shipped, by the BARGE LOAD to points east.  Meanwhile, everybody else was cutting down the trees and de-foresting the land they depended on.  

American Buffalo were very nearly extirpated because of people of european descent.  "market hunters"...whole herds of animals killed solely for their hides and tongues, the rest of the carcasses being left to rot in the sun. The indians used every bit of the animal. It was a holy animal to them. The slaughter was so massive and pervasive that you can still find buffalo bones and skulls out west.  I have.  

Carolina Parakeets were killed largely to adorn women's hats.  Same with the Ivory Billed Woodpecker.  

While I don't have a problem with hunting at all, though I couldn't do it, myself...hunters in the 1850's + range, up until about the 1960's....were responsible for a lot of bad, bad stuff.  

I wish the tree-huggers and hunters would come together...their goals are the same, these days.  april h

The Tasmanian Wolf is also called the Tasmanian Tiger, BTW.  They were mostly called the Tasmanian tiger in Australia, to the best of my knowledge.  

The re-discovery of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker was made over a year ago..they're just announcing it now. Hopefully, the government has made all the provisions that will keep the remainig IBW from being harrassed.

What do you think would happen if Oil was discovered under their habitat?

bush would come along and kill everything in sight?
I've heard the problem isn't supply of oil, but that there aren't enough refineries out there... and the oil ANWAR or whatever it's called is supposed to last only 6 months.

aprilh, hunters were definatly NOT part of the final decent of the passenger pigeon to extinction, altough they are mostly responsible towards its decline. It seems this species evolved in such a way that it could only exist viably in huge flocks and not as small colonies. Huge coloy numbers (<6000? - purely hypothetcal guess) probably stimulated breeding. While that # undoubtedly existed after the huge killing sprees ended, very few single colonya that size (big enough to stimulatemost of the birds to breed) were in existance, so the remminants probably faild to reproduce near the end, even if it was well within the threshold in witch succesfull recovery was possible in most other species.

Market Hunters were a huge factor in the extinction of the Passenger Pigeon. Yes, they needed large numbers to survive...but if you have people killing 10s and thousands of them at a time........guess what? It all adds up. Plus, you've got other people chopping down forests as fast as they can.

Back