What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iraq pictures (56k = garbage town)

My dad emailed me these pictures that his friend got from a friend from a friend, yea and so on. Have you guys seen anything like these?

sand6.jpg

sand7.jpg

sand8.jpg

sand5.jpg

sand4.jpg

sand3.jpg

sand2.jpg

sand1.jpg

These pics were taken from the al asad airbase and the wall of sand was clocked at moving 60mph+

why do I wan't to say "... mmmmm Shai Hulud..." and start talknig about great coriolis storms?

DANG!

There's a programme on here where this guy visits the extremes of the planet - heat, cold, altitude etc. and this week he went to a soviet toxic site in a remote part of Kazakhstan. It was an old Soviet chemical facility on an island where they manufactured smallpox and anthrax amongst other poisons. A dust cloud identical to that formed the day before they were to set off to the toxic site. The only difference being the dust cloud probably contained anthrax spores
smile_k_ani_32.gif

................That is COOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! yet kinda freaky too

I saw that on TV...it was a sand storm. Pretty impressive photos of its arrival. Looks like some amorphous, sci-fi monster. Can you imagine how your eyes, throat and lungs must feel in that mess?

Flip side: Are you a member of SA forums? I saw a thread on there entitled sandstorm and most threads say something like (56k=no).
Maybe, just coincedence :p

what is SA? I did post these on other forums I readily post at. I should check it out and see if they are from the same airbase. I wouldn't besurpirsed. If you look closely in alot of the pics you can see people taking pictures everywhere.

SomethingAwful Forums, second largest vBulletin forums on the net.

Holy moly! That's CRAZY
smile_k_ani_32.gif
*Niki*

Man Id hate to have to clean up after that!!!

I now I'm late responding to this but, last summer there was a storm that swept through. We could see it coming. It only lasted about 5 mins but it was very intense. The tv staion said it was moving at over 70 mph. It wasn't a sandstorm but it was still freaky.

those are actually from the set of "The Mummy III"

what's the largest vBulletin forum on the net?

On topic:
I have only one thing to say about that: Ouch.

Ah, I know I'm bumping this one up a bit, but I recently saw some movie footage from what I believe is the same sand storm. It's pretty crazy, this guy is filming the whole thing from inside the camp, when the sand hits, things slowly get darker, and darker, and darker until it's pretty much pitch black whith only light comign from a lamp by one of the buildings. It's amazing how fast the visability decreses, even without the darkness. It's really not like in the movies where all you need to worry is getting a bit of sand in your eyes.

imagine the cleaning out of the cars and trucks you'd have to do....

Back