What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at plants in dark?

• Thread starter JBL
  • Start date

JBL

I'm just wondering who enjoys looking at their plants in the dark with a flashlight. Any others out there? I find different insects and enjoy this macabre feeling. Come out night people--I know you're there...

Nope, not me.

Every night during my check for slugs and snails.

for those who cant do it during the day

I do it all the time. Ain't nothing weird about it, IMO.

That's so weird! I just did that tonight,then I came on here and here is this thread!But tonight was the only night I've done it,lol.
biggrin.gif
*Niki*

I do that all the time ! It's easier to check how much your pitchers have been filled up with bugs during the night with a flashlight illuminating the pitcher rather then in the day .

Never done it!!! And I didn't have a miniature light fixture installed in the greenhouse just to be able to see the plants after dark either............

I prefer to look at my plants when the sun is shining on them, with their glistening, dew-laden leaves.

I have not except if I get back late and have been away. I want to make sure they are okay. But if you mean go out at Dawn to see them. I am your man.

GUILTY!! But, Your Honor, when I get out of the slammer for stalking my CP, I am going to do it again!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 01 2005,1:58)]GUILTY!! But, Your Honor, when I get out of the slammer for stalking my CP, I am going to do it again!
I knew I'd find a comrade in arms (or pitchers)! OK, BW does it too; now I know I'm normal!
smile.gif

I don't go out with a flashlight, either. And I have been going out at night and looking at the native plants in my yard for years. And I didn't have any cp's until about a month ago. What can I say?

Well I would go out at night but mosquitos are out so I have to use the sun. Or you know invest in a force field
smile_n_32.gif

Unfortunately...it's been too dry and too bleeding cold and windy here to worry about mosquitoes....so...I go out at night without the benefit of flashlight and just look at my garden, which now, happily, includes CP's.

The psitts are getting lots of ants.

I don't look at my plants at night per say, but I do make an attempt to look at my D. Multifida at sunset when the sunlight is streaming through those thousand or so little balls of dew, very pretty...

I do don the head gear for my reef tank though. It is a headband that emits red light from LED's, since most reef critters can't see red light, it doesn't scare them, and I get to see things I can't see during the day, like thousands of copepods and amphipods running around, bristle worms cruising the substrate, spaghettie worms throwing out their tentacles to grab food, mini-sea stars comin out for dinner, so on and so forth... I am thinking about adding some bio-luminescent 'flashlight fish' to the mix.)

Flashlight AND magnifying glass! If I need to get up close and want to have use of both hands, I have a flood light that I can position just so!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do don the head gear for my reef tank though. It is a headband that emits red light from LED's, since most reef critters can't see red light, it doesn't scare them, and I get to see things I can't see during the day,
Yep, thats what I do also. I keep a red LED flashlight by my reef tank so I can look around. Amazing what you see at night. Sometimes, in the late summer, I see bio-luminescent algae or dinoflaggelates or something that glows an eery blue...it glows more if you disturb the substrate.
And yes, I do look at the plants in the indoor greenhouse at night. I am contemplating putting one of my old flourescent reef tank lights in there so I wouldn't need a flashlight.

I'm in the habit of checking in on them 2-3 times a day, at the lab, with my trusty maginifying glass.

I usually don't get out of work until midnight and atleast once a week I stop by the greenhouse after work. And yes I have used a flashlight.
smile_n_32.gif

Back