What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help starting an

I remember when I was a newbie and couldn't wait to get an "advanced collection" and every time someone gave me a plant I would be extremely happy, well I want to start a group dedicated to helping newbies who dont want to spend a fortune. I want to have a list of plants available, and the newbies can just ask for one that they want, there will be a limit so no one gets treated unfairly, all the newbies have to do is reemburse shipping charges, however now, I mostly only have seedligns that I can give away so I would like to have a few volunteers who could give plants to newbies, anyone up for it?

I think this a great idea, it seems to be right in alignment with the philosophy of this site - share, teach, and learn. I do not have much to give at this point, but I do remember being brand new to CPs (only 3 years ago) and not really knowing where to turn to learn and to grow my collection. I constantly scraped all my available funds (well, maybe not all) to buy more and more plants.
Now that I have moved away from Seattle to south Louisiana, I do not think I could even have bought those plants so readily. Quality CPs were easy to find in many nurseries and stores there, but I have not found any here except at Wally World and Lowes
smile_h_32.gif
LOL go figure, I move to the 'home' of sarracenias ( I know I know, but at least I'm on the Gulf coast...) and I cannot find any quality CP's outside of the net!
I can easily start many seedlings, some divisions and cuttings this summer. It may be a while before much is available, but I am all for this! Spreading the CP contagion is almost as wothwhile as supporting the NASC!
Count me in!

Kirk,

I have had Cp's for exactly one month now. I am very experienced in growing all sorts of rare native stuff...but CP's are a mystery to me.

Your idea is a good one. I'm still confused as to what medium to use for what plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 01 2005,9:39)]I'm still confused as to what medium to use for what plant.
April, one of the things I have noticed about questions regarding media (as well as other cultivating techniques) is that except for a few plant specific needs, there is incredible leeway and widely varying views & successes with a variety of different combinations. For the most part, you can't go wrong with well-rinsed media that is peat & sand, topdressed with LFS. Of course that is my personal favorite.

Another general truism is that if you ask a cultivation question and get 5 responses, 4 of them will be variations of one another. The last will be diametrically opposed to anything the others espouse - and it may be just as valid and successful. I takes awhile to realize there are a variety of views and experiences. It's sorta like dealing with our species.

Thanks JimScott! I've put everything that I have into straight Spaghnum Peat, on the advice of the person who sent me the plants. Some of the other things I have appear to have a mix of sand/spaghnum peat/and lfs on the top. I just wish it would warm up..it's hard for me to tell how "everbody" is doing in this cool weather. Aprilh

I'm sure you know this, but each soil media type has its distinctive qualities. I posted a question about them and I'll have to dig up the thread for you. I remember perlite being good for providing airy quality and live sphagnum having therapeutic and moiture holding qualities. Sand is good for drainage.

Back