What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paganism

• Thread starter fyrespryte
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ May 05 2005,12:15)]pa·gan  
n.
One who is not a Christian, Muslim, or Jew, especially a worshiper of a polytheistic religion.
One who has no religion.
A non-Christian.
A hedonist.
A Neo-Pagan.

adj.
Not Christian, Muslim, or Jewish.
Professing no religion; heathen.
Neo-Pagan.

Not acknowledging the God of Christianity and Judaism and Islam [syn: heathen, heathenish, ethnic] n : a person who does not acknowledge your God [syn: heathen, gentile, infidel]

Mostly they are any religion that doesnt fall into the typical norm. Like Druidism, WICCA, and other earth centered and nature based religious faiths.

And, hello Bonnie from me as well.
Thanks. I thought as much. I think there is a lot of confusion as to what that word means, just as what Christian means.

hi Jim!and hello  unknownclown as well! yes the Christian holidays are modeled on pagan holidays because the church wanted the pagans to convert and if the system resembled theirs they were more likely to convert to Christianity. that's why i don't mind celebrating the Christian holidays w/ my family. my father doesn't know and it makes me feel a little guilty but he is the MOST prejudiced person i have ever met... no exaggeration(sp?). he won't be able to do anything about it once i'm 18 so i plan on telling him then but until that point it's hush-hush. my mother knows though...really a large portion of my family knows about it, mostly the women though.

i think that part of the reason this religion works so well for me is because of my native american heritage and the fact that it has so many similar practices . native americans..that aren't christian, jewish, muslim, etc. anyway...are actually considered pagans, which i think rocks lol, but its in my blood so i couldn't really avoid it. i have been of this religion since i was twelve. i've been asked, " how does a twelve-year-old make a decision as serious as that?". i don't know how or why i did but i am really glad that i did. now look i'm blabbering on and on...i'll shut up now lol.
~fyre

oh yeah...Jim can i add you to my msn contacts list?

Wait so Atheists are considered pagan too? If so then I guess I am pagan, and oddly enough I have native american background too. But anyways I don't care what people believe as long as it doesn't inconvenience me that much.

really no...the deffinitions aren't always right...to prove a point why don't you try looking up witch, warlock, or such things. a witch is merely a neo-pagan person..not a consort of satan and a warlock is NOT a male witch. that is a horrible insult to a male witch because the word literally means oath-breaker and is believed to have originated when a male witch betrayed his coven.
but there is a difference in neo-pagan and pagan. a pagan actually in one way or another worships the earth..depending on what kind of pagan you are and a neo-pagan is a related belief system but they generally do not worship the earth itself. they worship one or more deities, usually they have a patron god and goddess and believe that the rest of the gods and goddesses are merely different faces and personalities of that patron god or goddess. but this is in general. since there are no absolute teachings such as in Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, or Buddhism everybody's beliefs are entirely their own even if they do follow a particular tradition.

ALLOSAURZ, do you know what nation of native americans your are descendant of? mine is Cherokee...and i live in Cherokee Kansas lol that never fails to amuse me. amazingly i am one quarter cherokee indian but i am as white as a person can get...i get that from my father though.
~fyre

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lol shut up luis.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]usually they have a patron god and goddess and believe that the rest of the gods and goddesses are merely different faces and personalities of that patron god or goddess.
oh, kind of like the holy trinity?
laugh.gif

Well unfortuanltly any un-established religion is labeled as pagan currently.
On another subject: Why does it seem women are always more understanding then men?

fyrespryte what type of paganism were you thinking of?

Jeez look at this :Elián Gonzalez religous movement. This is quite odd. They are worshipping him as "the next jesus" "[who] will overthrow Castro".

no specific type...and yes that is what i am saying...that pagan religions aren't part of a strict "this, this, and this" way of belief...but people without a religion, are not pagan. they are simply nonreligious...they may be viewed as pagan by society but are still not, by definition, pagan. pagans have beliefs...paganism is a religion of its own...it does not iclude nonreligious people among its ranks. that would be like saying atheists are Christian or that Jews are Muslim...etc. how many things can you think of that have been a result of society's misconceptions?

Castro needs to be overthrown...but the next Jesus?...wow

the fact that christians attend church on sunday is modeled after mithraism/sol invictus [invincible sun]. christianity honored the jewish sabbath (saturday) but it was changed to sunday so the pagans would convert to christianity.

i read also that the date of Easter, the role of the bishops, the administration of sacraments, and jesus being portrayed as god's son was voted on by the council of nicaea and amended into the bible. Jesus being portrayed as the sun of god was voted on by the council of nicaea to promote christianity and jesus was an actual man.

why was bonnie (fyrespryte) warned seven times by a mod in terraforums?

whoa! bonnie has 5 warnings! she didn't have any before!
edit: ugh... i hate it when people beat me to it.
5 squares that is...

Bonnie is not welcome here. She has used these forums for nothing other than acquiring free plants, and has in the past made comments like those that caused the blow up last month. She asked to be removed a while back, and has been, as she 'had no reason to come back to this horrible place'. As such, we find it very humorous that she keeps coming back. And, each time she comes back, and we notice her, she will be banned again, and again, and again. Her Banning had nothing to do with this topic, just her mere presence here.

that's bonnie from canada. this is bonnie from kansas. you banned the wrong bonnie. she doesn't even grow cps.

I will have The mods look into it, but there are far to many similarities, religion for one... not to mention the very first post in this topic pointing out she has a troubled history with this forum. we will check IP's. If we made a decision in error, rest assured that she will be profoundly apologized to.

Back