What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"little shop of horrors" update

Below is a write up on teacher who has “The Little Shop Of Horrors” at the school where I volunteer. Is this a cool teacher or what! Talk about spreading a love of science around!

I am told the Kenosha News is going to be doing an article on the new bog for the Middle School kids at St Mary’s School this coming fall. I am so excited that the carnivorous plants they have over there are going to be highlighted. And they are going to possibly photograph the two bogs with all the plants in them for the newspaper. The school is going to put up a fence around the area and they are going to work on some sort of a ground cover for the area around the bogs. I suggested pea gravel. Keep it simple and not so busy so the focus is on the bogs and what is in them. These are decent sized inground bogs too at over a 100 gallons a piece. And, 100% of the plants in the bogs and in the classroom were given to them by members here at Terra. I am so excited that the school has a chance at getting some publicity for their CP projects.

From here- http://www.kenoshanews.com/

May 6, 2005

Elsewhere in today's News...

-- When you think of rockets it's usually about what goes up. In the case of seventh- and eighth-grade students at St. Mary's School, they're more concerned about how they come down. The students are competing against mostly high school kids in a national competition later this month to see how safely they can launch two fresh eggs into the air and return them safely to earth. Reporter Chris Barncard follows the flight of this project.

And also this was written-
Students blast off with rocket project
Chris Barncard KENOSHA NEWS
May 6, 2005
A team of 15 students from Bohning's seventh- and eighth-grade science classes at St. Mary School hope to tangle with their older peers May 21 in the Team America Rocketry Challenge in Virginia. Their rockets have placed them - the only private school team in Wisconsin - among the 100 final teams culled from more than 700 mostly high school squads.

Here's hoping the future write up for the local newspaper on the bogs includes photographs.

I think I heard of something similiar where they dropped eggs from a hot air balloon. The winner just had them packages inbetween some donuts.

My husband is an engineer and he and his classmates did something similar back when he was completing his undergraduate work. I'm proud to say my husband won but I won't say how he did it but he did have a back up plan. They dropped their eggs off a balcony down to the concrete below. I still think it is awesome to see rather complex principles being introduced at such young ages. I sure wish somebody would have instilled a love for the sciences in me back when I was in elementary school.

Back