What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just read this today...

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
For all our forum friends: I saw an article in the newspaper that illutrated how pet rats and others have the potential to spread salmonella. Has anyone else read that?

eggs, meat, snakes, lizards, turtles, and now mice? what's next? the air?

I heard it on the news today. They say the same about reptiles but I have yet to get sick, and I take no precauctions.

they have said it about reptiles for years. truth is chicken at the grocery store is 100 times more likly to give you salmonella. iv kept all maner of reptiles, amphibians and rodents for years, most of the times ive had food poisoning it has been from a resturaunt never linked a single personal case to an animal of mine.

They probably say that because most people suck at keeping animals in good living conditions.

Here's the actual article:

Dozens Contract Illness From Small Pets
May 07, 2005 3:41 AM EDT
Furry "pocket pets" like hamsters, mice and rats have sickened up to 30 people in at least 10 states with dangerous multidrug-resistant bacteria, health officials are warning.

It is the first known outbreak of salmonella illness tied to such pets and reveals a previously unknown public health risk, officials said in a report released Thursday.

Many of the victims were children; six were hospitalized for vomiting, fever and severe diarrhea. Some passed the illness to others. The germ they had was resistant to five drugs spanning several classes of antibiotics.

"This is likely an underrepresentation of how large the problem is," because others who were sick may not have gone to doctors and not all labs do the kind of tests that would detect this germ, said Dr. Chris Braden, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Salmonella infections are common from reptiles, especially small turtles called red-eared sliders that are banned but have made an illegal comeback in several states in recent years. The 2003 monkeypox outbreak that originated in imported African rats and spread to U.S. prairie dogs showed the risks of owning exotic pets.

But cuddly little pocket pets like hamsters were not thought to pose much of a problem.

Gerbils, guinea pigs, ferrets and rabbits could also carry the germ, the CDC said.

"This outbreak highlights the fact that there is no perfectly safe pet. Parents and children should wash their hands thoroughly after contact with any pet" - even the family dog, said Dr. Stephen J. Swanson, a CDC epidemiologist working in the Minnesota Department of Health.

CDC started investigating last summer after Minnesota officials found the unusual infection in a 5-year-old boy sickened after playing with and kissing a pet mouse that had severe diarrhea and later died.

Tests showed that both had a drug-resistant strain of salmonella, a relative of the germ that causes typhoid fever. The same strain was found in a 4-year-old boy hospitalized in South Carolina and in his pet hamster, which also died.

Officials then checked PulseNet, a national germ reporting database designed to detect unusual trends, and found 28 other cases from December 2003 to October 2004.

Of the 22 people they have been able to interview, 13 had contact with rodents bought from pet stores and two caught salmonella from others who were ill. Seven had no known contact with rodents; investigations are continuing on the rest.

Cases have been confirmed in Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey and North Carolina.

Diarrhea is common in rodents, and many animal dealers routinely use antibiotics to prevent this. Such use may have spurred this multidrug-resistant strain to emerge, health officials speculate.

But not all of the animals in this outbreak were sick, so people should not think healthy ones don't carry the bacteria, Swanson said.

"We only looked for this particular strain. There may be other salmonellas that may be linked to pocket pets," Braden added.

Dr. Robert Tauxe, chief of foodborne illness at CDC, said detecting an outbreak like this would not have been possible before PulseNet, a system he helped start in 1996. It was expanded nationwide in 2001.

"With great luck, a case of illness in Minnesota might have been linked to one hamster and that would have been the end of it," Tauxe said. "We would never have been able to identify it as a nationwide problem."

In light of the outbreak, CDC recommends:

-People should wash hands well after handling rodents, their cases or bedding.

-Doctors should consider pets as a source of drug-resistant salmonella in patients with severe diarrhea.

-Veterinarians should do the same when treating rodents, and should test for it if clusters of such animals offered for sale are sick.

-Pet shops and dealers should sanitize transport containers and cages between uses.

-Owners should not kiss their pets or hold them close to their mouths; pets should be kept away from kitchens and food.

---

30 ppl in 10 states?!?!?!?! LMAO, prolly 10 times that got it from under cooked or poorly handled chicken they went down and purchased from supermarkets. im just going to keep doing what ive been doing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] im just going to keep doing what ive been doing.
Yeah me too. I'll keep kissing my snakes and lizards. If I'm wrong and get some disease, I'm strong I'll probably survive. I'll just spend a few days in the bathroom.

I can only remember hearing about one person that had any bad effects from kissing a reptile, his name was rattlesnake Bob.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]STAR-TRIBUNE (Casper, Wyoming) 05 April 05 Rattlesnake bites Lander man on lip, tongue (John Morgan)
A pet rattlesnake bit its extremely drunk owner once on the finger while the man was playfully flicking its head, then bit him again on the lip and tongue after he attempted to kiss it, reports the Lander Journal.
According to Sgt. Gene Galitz's popular column "CopsCorner," the Lander man, identified as Rattlesnake Bob, was driven to the emergency room at the Lander Valley Medical Center on March 23 by his girlfriend. When he saw a patrol car at the hospital, he refused to get out, saying he hadn't had much luck with cops.
Galitz tried to persuade the man to seek medical attention, but the man refused. Luckily, the snake's bites did not inject venom.

Back