What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scary spiny pests

notthis brood but they normaly come out because broods are staggered every year

yeah but the annual cicadas aren't as creepy.

These bugs are now starting to molt into their adult forms. They now have wings and can fly really fast. I fed some to my vft
smile.gif

scary_adult_form.jpg

Those stupid Giant Grasshoppers are around now. I can't catch them because they are too fast (and can give quite a bite).

Treaqum- 2 quick questions- ONE- how big is "giant" for a grasshopper?? and TWO is getting bitten by one a common thing?? I can't imagine how nasty a bite could be if they were truly huge- do they draw blood and stuff??

Alphawolf- I really hope whatever those things were, they are some kind of 50 year species or something, that way if they come back I'll be too old to care about them
biggrin.gif

6 inches. I can't remember the species but they are not native. Getting bitten is not common (unless you grab them). They love new sarr pitchers (my psitts are all mutilated). Yeah they can draw blood. The good thing is they can't move from side to side so I have not been bitten but when I was visiting hte Agr. center the ranger was telling me about getting biten and it hurting like crazy.

Largest one I've seen is 3". Wanna "catch" them? Two words: Tennis racket.

Hmm, If only I played tennis.

Get a butterfly net. Real cheap at Rite Aid or Target or Wally world.
In the summer here when I go camping I sometimes see the big grasshoppers. I also occasionally see tarantula hawks. For those who don't know, tarantula hawks are very large(I once caught one that was 2 3/4 inches long) wasps that hunt very large spiders. We have those here too. The tarantula hawk has a metallic blue body with orange or red wings, and pack the most powerful sting of all the wasps. Last year there were a lot of them around, I think this year might be as bad or worse due to the incredible amount of rain we got this year.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] is getting bitten by one a common thing?
You would have to put your finger right on it's mouth and make it bite to get it to bite. I have never been bitten by a grasshopper. They aren't agressive like certain other insects.

Back